My Wi-Fi light is off, not solid or blinking. How do I connect exactly?

Options
This is for a Magnify Mini. I have it connected to a TCL Roku TV. I've heard others reference a "Google Home App", but, I mean, where, on my cellphone? With the Roku I don't see a Google Home App. I'm asking because I want to update my firmware, because the device keeps power saving and I'm hoping a firmware update will fix this. I could plug in a wire, but I'd rather get the Wi-Fi going so it's permanently available. Also if you happened to have a comment about the power saving that would be appreciated as well.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I believe this link will be helpful:
    https://www.polkaudio.com/products/magnifimini/support
    Regards, Ken
  • jasbushnell
    Options
    I'd already been there. The link you provided says the following:
    To update the firmware on the Polk MagniFi Mini, you must be connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or a cable using the built-in Ethernet port on the back of the MagniFi Mini (network cable not included). Hardwired connections via Ethernet do not need any additional setup. If you plan to get updates via WiFi, you will need to download the Google Home app (free from Apple App Store or Google Play Store) and follow the directions to connect the MagniFi to your network. Once it's connected to the Internet, updates will occur automatically overnight.

But saying
    you must be connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi
    doesn't tell me how to do it. That's why I'm here. The Quick-Start Guide says,
    WIFI LED - Solid LED when connected to your Wi-Fi network. Flashing LED when NOT connected to your Wi-Fi network.

Searching through these documents I can find no other information. And my question is how to make it connect. Somewhere I need to select a network and put in authentication credentials. Please advise.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Personally i would never update anything over wifi. I have personally known folks who have had gear bricked because of interruption of wifi signal in the middle of an update. Hardwire for the update is where I'd be.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That sounds like good advice from "pitdogg2", less chance of a problem being caused by an interruption.
    I don't have much experience with wifi, but this link seems to be a step-by-step tutorial on how to download the Google Home app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app&hl=en
    I hope this is helpful.
  • jasbushnell
    Options
    I installed the Google Home App on my phone and got where I needed to be. Now that I see how it works, I wish it had HomeKit support, but that's the world we live in. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're welcome, I'm glad you were able to get it working.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Personally i would never update anything over wifi. I have personally known folks who have had gear bricked because of interruption of wifi signal in the middle of an update. Hardwire for the update is where I'd be.

Most devices nowadays download an update file first, then a check is done to ensure it's not a corrupted download, and then the update is performed. There's little to no chance of a problem due to WiFi updating.
  • jasbushnell
    Options
    Yeah, it would be a software design failure for an update to cause corruption simply because a download was interrupted.
  • mpedigo1
    Options
    Just want to add to this post if Google Home can't configure to your WIFI which happened to me and double-check your WIFI router settings. Make sure UPnP and IGMP are enabled. In my case my router had IGMP disabled and was preventing the Mini/Chromecast from connecting back to Polk.