which speakers are better?

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    alan78 wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Your other option is looking on your local Craigslist for speakers. Where do you live?

North Mississippi...Craigslist is about worthless here. hahaha Even in surrounding areas it is not that good.

Yeah, I have in-laws in Gulfport and when we visit, I check out their CL and even there it's pretty barren. I just checked some cities in North Miss. and you are right, there's nothing there.

That package that @mrloren posted is probably your best option.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Get the package and enjoy, 6 months from now or maybe @ Christmas get an HSU or SVS sub and hold on.

SVS https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000
    HSH http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html

These are the entry level subs that will rock better than most big brand subs. You can always move up the chain if funding permits.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren wrote: »
    Get the package and enjoy, 6 months from now or maybe @ Christmas get an HSU or SVS sub and hold on.

These are the entry level subs that will rock better than most big brand subs. You can always move up the chain if funding permits.

I'm heavily considering the signature series package. But the tsi 400 package looks attractive as well. So....I think I'm going to think about these 2 and see what it's worth to me and contact the seller and see what they can do on the signature series. I've already got a better price on the tsi400 package from the seller directly so I know the signature package will be a better price as well.
  • Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Your other option is looking on your local Craigslist for speakers. Where do you live?

North Mississippi...Craigslist is about worthless here. hahaha Even in surrounding areas it is not that good.

Yeah, I have in-laws in Gulfport and when we visit, I check out their CL and even there it's pretty barren. I just checked some cities in North Miss. and you are right, there's nothing there.

Yep literally nothing. I check Craigslist daily for many things and Nort MS misses the mark on most things I'd want. I'm surprised Gulf Port would be the same way though. I usually look at stuff all the way from Dallas (I have family there) to Atlanta (it's relatively close) that way I can see what's really out there.
  • alan78 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

I'm heavily considering the signature series package. But the tsi 400 package looks attractive as well. So....I think I'm going to think about these 2 and see what it's worth to me and contact the seller and see what they can do on the signature series. I've already got a better price on the tsi400 package from the seller directly so I know the signature package will be a better price as well.

Tsi seris vs Signature, not even close. Forget about the Tsi.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Gonna be honest with you, I'm not a fan of how you're trying to get this done. Not just you, A LOT of people approach it like you are, and it's a mistake.

If you're on a tight budget, don't go for the whole system at once. You end up with key parts of the system that are going to let you down.

Start with the KEY parts. Receiver, main stereo pair and a sub. Budget for good wiring and interconnects (does not have to cost a ton for good entry level stuff). I like Canare 4s8 or 4s11 for budget speaker wire and AudioQuest pearl HDMI cables are a GREAT wire for the $$.

Shop smart and do it over a longer period and in the long run, you will have a FAR better system.

Polk eBay store has the S50 towers for $175 each, the PSW 505 for $199 (if that's all you can swing). However, I personally MUCH prefer SVS for a sub but that's going well outside of your mentioned budget.

Accessories4less has something like the Denon X4300 or Yamaha RX-A1060 for $700.

Then save for center, then do surrounds, then in the long run or when it quits buy a better sub...

It will take longer, but you'll have better results.
  • Upstatemax wrote: »
    Gonna be honest with you, I'm not a fan of how you're trying to get this done. Not just you, A LOT of people approach it like you are, and it's a mistake.

If you're on a tight budget, don't go for the whole system at once. You end up with key parts of the system that are going to let you down.

Start with the KEY parts. Receiver, main stereo pair and a sub. Budget for good wiring and interconnects (does not have to cost a ton for good entry level stuff). I like Canare 4s8 or 4s11 for budget speaker wire and AudioQuest pearl HDMI cables are a GREAT wire for the $$.

Shop smart and do it over a longer period and in the long run, you will have a FAR better system.

Polk eBay store has the S50 towers for $175 each, the PSW 505 for $199 (if that's all you can swing). However, I personally MUCH prefer SVS for a sub but that's going well outside of your mentioned budget.

Accessories4less has something like the Denon X4300 or Yamaha RX-A1060 for $700.

Then save for center, then do surrounds, then in the long run or when it quits buy a better sub...

It will take longer, but you'll have better results.

I appreciate your honesty! My house is already wired with media bridge in wall wiring and terminated with plugs and the HDMI is already run to my projector that I have been using. So no more cost with that.

My budget isn't really a budget of that's all the cash I have for that but rather I just don't want to spend more than that. Haha in the beginning off all this the T series I was certain would have been more than I needed and a much upgrade to my all in one sony system. And has I got that I'm sure I would have never known the difference.

But I knew if I kept looking I would be spending more. As my wife says I have to many hobbies so I try not to spend too much on other things and my main hobby is my plane which take alot of my $$$. Yep I'm a pilot..you know how to tell if a pilot is on the room? He will tell you! Hahaha

So I'm not against peicing it out by anymean but a I also know I will always want to spend just a bit more. So with that I placed my budget because I figure for my small room the t series..er..tsi series..er signature series will suit me fine. Hahaha

I'm not done yet so maybe..ill see what I truly feel like spending.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Think of it this way Alan. Do it once, do it right, then sit back and enjoy it for years to come. Spend more money getting good quality gear that you can keep for years. This gear is built to last for years, and with care it does just that.

I only replaced my main speakers this past February. I finally let go of my 27 year old Polk RTA-8T speakers and replaced them with the Signature S60 speakers. The second two youngest pieces of gear I have is a SVS sub which I got for Christmas last year and I purchased an Oppo 103 from a member on here a couple months ago. Everything else is over 10-15 years old.

If you are not one of those that insist on always having the latest and greatest, then you are better suited buying the best you can afford, since you won't be replacing it for years to come.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Upstatemax
    I appreciate your honesty! My house is already wired with media bridge in wall wiring and terminated with plugs and the HDMI is already run to my projector that I have been using. So no more cost with that.

My budget isn't really a budget of that's all the cash I have for that but rather I just don't want to spend more than that. Haha in the beginning off all this the T series I was certain would have been more than I needed and a much upgrade to my all in one sony system. And has I got that I'm sure I would have never known the difference.

But I knew if I kept looking I would be spending more. As my wife says I have to many hobbies so I try not to spend too much on other things and my main hobby is my plane which take alot of my $$$. Yep I'm a pilot..you know how to tell if a pilot is on the room? He will tell you! Hahaha

So I'm not against peicing it out by anymean but a I also know I will always want to spend just a bit more. So with that I placed my budget because I figure for my small room the t series..er..tsi series..er signature series will suit me fine. Hahaha

I totally understand the too many hobbies issue!

Between Audio, whisky, cigars and cycling it's amazing my wife has not stabbed me in my sleep!

If you're willing to up your budget to get it done at once, you will not regret it. The AVR is the heart of your system, never a good thing to start out life with a weak heart...

Base model AVR's typically have weak power supplies that struggle to run full surround systems and build quality that is on par with or only slightly better than HTIB type stuff.

Higher up the food chain gets you better power supplies to drive multiple speakers, better quality DAC's and a better thought out internal layout and build quality.

I would also check out the Polk RTi A series. The RTi A5's are in the bay store for $179 a piece and the CSi A4 center is $175 and the Rti A3's for $190 a pair for the surrounds.

For the sub, the SVS outlet has SB1000's starting at $450.
  • mrloren
    @alan78 I agree with the above post, that if you spend more now you won't be upgrading latter.

That signature package with an SVS or HSU sub added will be very nice. Make you HTiB sound like AM radio.

I know all too much about hobbies, my wife put's up with audio hoby due to she too enjoy's it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

I totally understand the too many hobbies issue!

Between Audio, whisky, cigars and cycling

What kind of bike you riding? I'm into moutian biking and ride a 2015 specialized rockhopper comp. Seems like most of the professional motocross riders train with specialized road bikes so I see alot of those on tv.

• cfrizz wrote: »
    If you are not one of those that insist on always having the latest and greatest, then you are better suited buying the best you can afford, since you won't be replacing it for years to come.

I am not the type of person to have the latest and greatest. So this is starting to make sense. I need to get the wife on board though as it looks like I'll be in the 2k range now and I bet she will balk. But you never know. I may have to get her the bigger screen first. Haha
  • Dude, you being the man your needs come first.

Right Frizz?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cfrizz
    edited September 2017
    cfrizz wrote: »

I am not the type of person to have the latest and greatest. So this is starting to make sense. I need to get the wife on board though as it looks like I'll be in the 2k range now and I bet she will balk. But you never know. I may have to get her the bigger screen first. Haha

If it helps Alan, you can tell your wife that the advice I gave you above is coming from a woman! See this thread and have your wife look at it. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176133/my-new-speakers#latest

I have learned a lot from this group since joining in 2004. The advice they gave me helped greatly in putting together this system. I didn't do it all at once. Mostly I just replaced gear as my needs changed from going to a 2 channel system over to a HT system.

It is here that I learned that having your speakers properly powered by separate amplification elevates your system to the next level no matter what gear you have. I consistently recommend 200wpc to power your speakers. No its not cheap, but you can hook your amp up to any speakers you have now and in the future.

It is here that I learned you can get more bang for your buck buying used gear. Audiogon is your friend!

Present what you want to do with your system, include her in the process of helping you to select speakers and gear. I bet she will fall in love with the look of the Signature series, I know that is what got me, it was love at first sight! And if you come out of it with having to buy a bigger screen first....that's a win win on EVERY side!

Keep us posted Alan.

Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Upstatemax
    What kind of bike you riding? I'm into moutian biking and ride a 2015 specialized rockhopper comp. Seems like most of the professional motocross riders train with specialized road bikes so I see alot of those on tv.

I have a Niner Air 9 RDO that I built this past winter:

[img][/img]35265797303_637f1da9e4_c.jpgUntitled by

I'm looking at picking up a gravel bike soon. I need something that can handle some road and gravel trails for quick rides when I get home from work. Getting too difficult to get out to the trails on a consistent basis...

• alan78
    alan78 Posts: 80
    edited September 2017
    Nice bike! Yeah I agree I hit the trails less and less. I recently bought a onewheel...not a unicycle but a onewheel and ive been hitting the trails with it. Kind of fun actually. I've made a small trail by my house so it's quick to jump on and go.

Is that a carbon frame? And if so how much lighter is it compared to a typical aluminum frame? I've been contemplating a FS bike in the 29er flavor but not riding enough now to justify...

And looks like my wife likes the look of grill cover off on the signature series...its looking up! Haha
  • Upstatemax
    Nice bike! Yeah I agree I hit the trails less and less. I recently bought a onewheel...not a unicycle but a onewheel and ive been hitting the trails with it. Kind of fun actually. I've made a small trail by my house so it's quick to jump on and go.

Is that a carbon frame? And if so how much lighter is it compared to a typical aluminum frame? I've been contemplating a FS bike in the 29er flavor but not riding enough now to justify...

And looks like my wife likes the look of grill cover off on the signature series...its looking up! Haha

It's a carbon frame. Weight is part of it, but the ride quality is the real benefit IMO.

It's rock solid and stiff when you stand on the pedals, a rocket. Flexible and forgiving when you're in the saddle and just chugging along, eats up chatter like a boss.

At this point, the frame, seat post, handle bar and saddle are carbon. Comfortable and fast, I love it.

If you can get your wife on board with the looks of the speaker, you're 90% home!
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited September 2017
    Buy some RTiA's while they are 40% off and work from there. Get a sub at a later date if needed. The CSiA center channel speaker that matches the RTi's is 40% off too. Crutchfield shows them separately.

That's a way better deal then the Signature Series.

https://crutchfield.com/shopsearch/Polk_RTi.html

https://polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/rtia-series
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• mrloren
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Buy some RTiA's while they are 40% off and work from there. Get a sub at a later date if needed. The CSiA center channel speaker that matches the RTi's is 40% off too. Crutchfield shows them separately.

That's a way better deal then the Signature Series.

https://crutchfield.com/shopsearch/Polk_RTi.html

https://polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/rtia-series

Great idea if the OP want's to open his budget up. To get RTiA/RTi speakers to sound right requires an amp. Even my Rti8 sounded better hooked into an amp.

Best bet for the OP is keep an eye out for an Adorama deal. I got my S60X2 S30 and S20X2 for $800 to the door.
    Great idea if the OP want's to open his budget up. To get RTiA/RTi speakers to sound right requires an amp. Even my Rti8 sounded better hooked into an amp.

Best bet for the OP is keep an eye out for an Adorama deal. I got my S60X2 S30 and S20X2 for $800 to the door.

If it was me I'd get the RTiA7's and RTiA3's for $850.00 out the door and get a receiver with preamp outs and add an amp later.

If he went with RTiA1's instead of RTiA3's it would be $800.00 out the door = more bang for the buck by far. 40% more....

The S60's and the RTiA7's have the same power handing levels, either would benefit from an amp.

RTiA's are way sexier too. Even my wife agrees.

• Upstatemax
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

If it was me I'd get the RTiA7's and RTiA3's for $850.00 out the door and get a receiver with preamp outs and add an amp later.

If he went with RTiA1's instead of RTiA3's it would be $800.00 out the door = more bang for the buck by far. 40% more....

The S60's and the RTiA7's have the same power handing levels, either would benefit from an amp.

RTiA's are way sexier too. Even my wife agrees.

If he is going to be using a sub, the A5's will be a better speaker. Easier to drive and better mid range.

The Crutchfield price is nice, but Polk eBay has them for even less; and I'm willing to bet they are most likely new stock that simply had a "refurb" sticker slapped on the box....

Only question will be shipping charges, and if anything goes wrong, returns and customer satisfaction is second to none at Crutchfield.
    If he is going to be using a sub, the A5's will be a better speaker. Easier to drive and better mid range.

The Crutchfield price is nice, but Polk eBay has them for even less; and I'm willing to bet they are most likely new stock that simply had a "refurb" sticker slapped on the box....

Only question will be shipping charges, and if anything goes wrong, returns and customer satisfaction is second to none at Crutchfield.

Good point. I noticed the timbre-matched FXiA bipole surround speakers are also 40% off too.

Lots of great speaker options.

Nice catch on the Polk eBay store too, the refurbs are all 50% off there.

• cfrizz
    edited September 2017
    The Signature series is the best looking speakers that Polk has put out in years IMHO. Plus they do well with movies but especially music, which is something that is very hit or miss depending on each individuals hearing with the RTiA series. A good many find them to be a miss here on the board.
  • mrloren
    If I had my choice between RTiA or Signature, I would take the Signature. Why? They are much easier to drive than RTiA and they sound better to me for music.

When Polk demoed the Signature for me they used an old Onkyo and the S60 still sounded fantastic. My RTi8 on an Onkyo 626 didn't even come close.

Now with that said and if the OP wants to drop $3k on his HT then go RTiA and get either an Emotiva or Monoprice amp at the least. Even the RTi8/CSi5 I had sounded so much better when hooked into an amp.

For the AVR Signature deal is around $1200 add a decent sub the OP is coming in to under $2k.

just my two cents.
  • mrloren
    edited September 2017
  • mrloren
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Those are pretty LOW end receivers with both of those packages.

If he pieces it together from a couple of good vendors and shops smart, he can do better.

true, very true. The OP in new coming from HTiB so I figured to keep it simple. Now if the OP could raise his budget to $3k-$3.5k then we could have him rocking
    true, very true. The OP in new coming from HTiB so I figured to keep it simple. Now if the OP could raise his budget to $3k-$3.5k then we could have him rocking

hahahaha I can for sure say that is not gonna happen! Im still researching at the moment and do know if I spend much more time thinking about it I will back out. You know its like putting an item in the cart and by the time you get to go check out you place it back on any ol shelf. Im notorious for that...but after watching skull island last night and the lack of bass I really want a new system.

And remember my theater room is relatively small..I believe it is 16x11 or 16x14 I cant remember which. So not sure I really need the most powerful sound...or do I hehe

• Upstatemax
    A well thought out system does not have to break the bank and can kill it for your HT needs.

Here is what I would be looking at:

Receiver: Denon X4300H or Yamaha RX-A1060
    Front mains: Polk Rti A5 or Signature S50
    Center: Polk CSiA4 or Signature S30
    Surround: Polk FXiA4 or Signature S10 or S15
    Subwoofer: SVS SB1000 or SVS SB2000

Receiver from accessories4less, speakers from Polk eBay, subwoofer from SVS outlet.

You can still be under or about the $2k mark and you'll have a system to put a smile on your face for a long time.

Since you have a smaller room, you don't have to worry about massive speakers to make it sound good. You can actually over do it. With the receivers in your budget, I WOULD NOT be looking at the biggest speakers you can afford.

Personally, I LOVE sealed subs for fast, tight and accurate bass and I also find them easier to place in the room than a ported sub.

I personally really liked the Rti A series. They look fantastic with the curved cabinets and have real wood veneers. They were an honest to goodness high quality speaker at a great price. At their current pricing, an absolute steal IMO. Make no mistake about it, the RTi A line is still a step above the Signature line in build quality and they kill it for HT use. IMO, they look MUCH better than the Signature line, again that is MY taste in speakers.

If you're looking for a more dual purpose system (HT and critical music listening) the sound profile of the Signature line that's a bit more laid back and "musical" might be better. But if you're going to do mostly TV, HT and maybe play some music when it strikes you, the RTi A line outstanding.

Either way you go, you're going to get a great sounding system, it just comes down to personal taste and your intended use.
  • Mostly movies for the system since it's up stairs. I would use zone 2 to pipe some speakers down stairs for listening but that will only really work for me if I can control the AVR with an android app.

The sub I have now sounds awful just a bunch of rumbling mess that sometimes detracts from the movie. Even a higher priced sub I heard do that. I just constant rumbling that sounded a little higher in pitch and just did not add anything to it. I do not want that. Maybe it's what the movie was putting out but it sounds terrible.