Jennings Research speakers

cortico
cortico Posts: 587
edited September 2017 in Vintage Speakers
Hey all,

Just got these speakers pair, it's a 3 way the peerless type tweeter grabbed my attention and the built quality is superb, real walnut veneer and swivel pedestal.

I never heard about it before. I learned they were built in CA, besides that there isn't much information available online.

Sound like a fun project, it was a few scars and is missing a grill. I will decode the crossover diagram but would appreciate any information you may have.

Thanks,

gzupgkng62my.jpg
7kri2slhdtse.jpg
otbvj4r0bk5k.jpg

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    They were only in business about 5 years...if I remember correctly, the Contrara Rectangle, Contrara Pedestal and the Vector One were their only 3 products...

Not much else out there for info...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • cortico
    This is what I was able to pull out:

"Each cabinet features (2) Audax French woofers and a peerless dome tweeter, 45 lbs each, 11.5" x 11.5" x 33.5". Made in California USA."

Also:
    "Jennings Research was founded by Tom Jennings who was the head of marketing/design for JBL in the 1960s. It was founded in March of 1975.
  • and so how do you like them? :*
  • that is a lot of tweet.
  • cortico
    I haven't had the chance to listen. I hope all drivers are good.
    I am predicting that finding equivalent drivers will be a huge pain in the ****.
  • cortico
    Apparently these are quite respectable speakers built with quality parts...
    A fellow member on audiokarma, shared this lineup photo:

yls7vexzpbfp.jpg

• cortico
    and so how do you like them? :*

Nice surprise, really like the way these speakers sound hooked up with a Marantz 2270, The construction is outstanding, weighs a ton, about 50lbs each.

They fit perfectly in my room and are super forgiving when it comes to placement. Just moved in and can't get the optimal placement for the CRS (I love).

The walnut veneer on the Jennings needs some conditioning, would you be able to recommend the right product?

A millworker recommend me Feed-N-Wax wood polish and conditioner on a solid walnut table I had made, would recommend this on speaker veneer as well? I learned here this is a no, no...

Please advise, thanks
  • Talk to the king of wood @F1nut ;)
  • I used Restore a finish with 0000 steel wool and feed n wax on my Advent 25th anniversary speakers. Did wonders in my opinion but im not wood worker. I'm sure I might catch flack for the above by @F1nut but I know he is a wood wizard.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited September 2017
    Nice speaker but the tweeters are upside down :)
  • Yep2 wrote: »
    I used Restore a finish with 0000 steel wool and feed n wax on my Advent 25th anniversary speakers. Did wonders in my opinion but im not wood worker. I'm sure I might catch flack for the above by @F1nut but I know he is a wood wizard.

Please dont use steel wool.
    You will never get it all out of the wood before refinishing.

Not sure if it matters that I didn't do a refinish or used new Vaneer. Simply used this to rejuvenate old faded walnut. Either way it was a learning experience as the speakers were gifted, I'm still impressed by the difference after using the Howard's products.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Seems like there are many Polkies that admire Jesse's wood :|
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cortico
    I like Howard feed-n-wax on unfinished solid wood. Veneer is a different story, I am afraid the oils may soften the adhesives and cause seperation...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,598
    What is the model # of the set on the very right?
    Looking around I cannot find any images/info.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Viking64 wrote: »

Jesse is the guy that hand carved George Washington's false teeth....

He was Technical Advisor on the construction of Noah's ark.

Jessewood was the original name for Hollywood... though Jesse's wood is now highly sought after on the west side of town.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cortico
    edited September 2017
    Thanks all for the useful comments B)

Here is a pic of the crossover, pretty minimalistic 3 inductors and a cap and the woofers numbering... Sound is decent acoustic instruments have pretty good realism.

Going back and forth between this and my restored and upgraded CRS, the CRS sound smoother but seem mid scooped in comparison.
    plj6a5d6rjes.jpg

u46x5lttepk9.jpg

• I'm a fan of having the inductors perpendicular.
    A nice afternoon upgrade. :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Matches quite well. Great job.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Those really came out nice. Nice job!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • cortico
    Can anyone explain the crossover designer?