AI - good, bad, or impossible?

13»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Kurt300 wrote: »

They would. ;)

Sort of like "Marijuana growers disagree with states' warnings about recreational marijuana sales".

Derp.

• Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Kurt300 wrote: »

They would. ;)

Sort of like "Marijuana growers disagree with states' warnings about recreational marijuana sales".

Derp.

Completely agree. After reading a few books on the subject, I'm with Mr Musk on the huge potential pitfalls.
  • mhardy6647
    In terms of dumb human endeavors, it's probably gonna rank right up there with the hydrogen bomb... AIs with H-bombs. Now there's a thought.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    In terms of dumb human endeavors, it's probably gonna rank right up there with the hydrogen bomb... AIs with H-bombs. Now there's a thought.

Not so sure the H bomb was such a bad idea Doc. Now actually using it might be, but the idea was as a deterrent .

The problem with AI, or any other grand idea/invention, is the hands it eventually gets placed in. Those hands only look at military/political applications, how to retain power over someone or something. We fail to install the necessary safeguards in most things because of power and money.....man's desire for those 2 things rule out all else. Your safety being one.

Every box has a top and a bottom, a good side and bad side. I guess we just constantly weigh those differences....and risks involved. Unfortunately many will die, as have in the past, and future, due to dumb decisions.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Saw a movie some years ago that came with the wording about the future beware..the soul is in the software...Also read an article a few days ago where a retired Major General discussed the possibility of armed drones going rogue due to AI making its own decisions and blocking the override fail safe....interesting..
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I would argue anything with AI in it is hackable, and if it's armed ? That's why good old fashioned boots n bullets will never be outdated.

Technology is sold on the open market, even the bad guys could possibly have better tech in some ways than even we do. What we are really seeing isn't simply an advancement of AI, but an advancement of control over others. Be nice if they could use this AI to come up with ways to save lives rather than destroy them. To find a way off this rock and spread out in the universe.

Robots are programmed to do certain things, the devil is in the programming and who's doing it, not the robotics itself. So if your suggesting man's evil ways could filter down into robotics....then yes, quite possible.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    tonyb wrote: »

Not so sure the H bomb was such a bad idea Doc. Now actually using it might be, but the idea was as a deterrent .

FWIW, I think that Edward Teller was itchin' to use his babies for something. He wanted to use 'em for infrastructure work and/or interstellar travel, but I reckon he'd have been happy to launch a few Eastward once the technology was available :(

Richard Rhodes' book Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb isn't (IMO, of course) the tour de force that his Pulitzer Prize-winning The Making of the Atomic Bomb was... but it's still a pretty worthwhile read (I'd opine).

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Maybe they should inject into every robot the digital version of " To Serve Man".v91uzxgm0521.jpg

my favorite episode :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    tonyb wrote: »
    A computer can think and act independently.

Sorry @tonyb but "A computer can not think and act independently" it can only do what it's been programed to do. The only thing it may know is "0" & "1", even when it's executing a bunch 0's & 1's it has no concept of what it's doing. If a computer could think and act independently was it would keep this little program from printing on the screen "hello, world" forever or you turned it off!
    #include <stdio.h>

main( )
    {
    	char c;

for(c = 0; c < 128; c++)
    	        printf("hello, world\n");
    }

To the op
    A quote from the movie "Red Planet", Tom Sizemore's character Dr. Quinn Burchenal: "Man's a party animal. If he is doing okay nothing else matters. That's not going to change."

Unfortunately for all the talk & hand wringing that we may do the above quote is more to the point than anyone cares to admit. Let's face it it's something that doesn't directly affect you or you can't really do something about it do you really care down deep, think not. And besides by the time enough people decide to actually get together and act it will be to late. After all we elected an orange orangutan with an I.Q. of 0.1 as president. I for on e would not be surprised that we are past the tipping point environmentally. Humanity will do it's self in with war, germs or the environment long before A.I. can.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Haven't read the referenced texts, but, AI (as AI is referred today by the computer and science industry) is already happening. It's being used with success in the investment/banking sector as one example. One firm has dedicated a division to AI trading and others are jumping on board. It will continue to grow and will probably be a huge benefit, however, there will no doubt be pitfalls along the way. Hopefully they won't be major mishaps. There could conceivably be major problems with AI, though I believe that most of the dooms day, end of the world type prophecies are more for the movies and novels than what will really happen. I will admit that there are potential hazards that need to be addressed, and, that often times the dollar trumps all else and in this kind of "perfect storm" scenario there could be monumental disasters. But, I ultimately believe that it's going to be a good thing. I can foresee a time when learned machines will make better decisions than humans. The human error will be reduced because of the ego, passion and any other trait that affects the human decision making process.