psw505 manufactered

I was looking into a new sub to replace my old 100 watt sub..i was thinking of the psw505 reviews look great but I see they do not make it no more....when was the last time this sub was manufactured?

Comments

• They are a good sub for the money. You can still find them online under $250. But, most of their amps fail after about a year. Polk will send you a new one though under warranty and it's easy to replace.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Save your pennies and get one of these for not much more. Not much more IMO opinion anyway. It will crush the 505. 45 day risk free trial with free shipping both ways...

https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/pb-1000-outlet-1

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    When I recomend a sub PSW505 is always the lowest I'll go. It's a good sub for the money. You should be able to find one cheap, Any left in inventory are going to be sold out to make room for the new HTS subs. Here is a good deal on one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-N82E16882290130&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItO3gtLeZ1gIVF5J-Ch1Qzg-OEAYYAiABEgKu5vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You will run about a 30-40% chance of the amp blowing in the first year or two. Polk will send you a new one under warranty.

Next up would be any of the HSU subs http://hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html Even the VTF1 will out class dual 505's

SVS are great subs, I think for the sub $1000 I would go with HSU. Either way you cant go wrong with either
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2017
    Well I babied my 505; never set at over 50% and volume levels at -20 calibrated. Mine last 13 months in a dedicated ht that didn't get used more than 5 hours a week.

I think the odds are about 80-90% of blowing the amp in the first year. Keep in mind Bash no longer makes the 505 amp.

Still $200 you would have a difficult time finding a better sounding sub for that price.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Big question is how long does the replacement amp last. Well a friend just got his replaced on his 505 so I might find out.

HSU uses BASH amps. I got my STF-2 as a refurb and it lasted 9 years. HSU sold me a replacement for $145 which was cheaper than buying a replacement BASH amp.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • If I get a year out of the replacement I'll be happy.
  • what are the signs of the amp blowing? it does not power on? and what are the steps involved in getting it replaced. .just have to call them and they send you a new amp or do you have to bring it in to where you buy it?
  • No you just call them, you may have to verify it's still under warranty. Then the replacement is shipped to you.
  • Mine would just stay in standby mode.
  • ok thanks did you have to remove the woofer to unplug the 2 wires
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2017
    No. The wires can unplug from the amp side.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    I've used my 505 for for at least 3 years without an issue, I haven't used it in a minute since but last time I cranked my multi channel up it sounded beautiful
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo: