Bi-Amping 2.3TL's with Adcom 555 II

Options
2»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    My Adcom GFA 555ii lasted almost exactly 23 years. So, I am currently on my 3rd hour of my first tube amp. It seems to get sweeter in 20-minute increments. (Or maybe that's just my song choices "maturing".) HAHAHA
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Yes, I have all 3 of the tl models in walnut.

Since you have all three TL models, which model do you find yourself drawn to the most for listening and why?

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    My Adcom GFA 555ii lasted almost exactly 23 years. So, I am currently on my 3rd hour of my first tube amp. It seems to get sweeter in 20-minute increments. (Or maybe that's just my song choices "maturing".) HAHAHA

Glad you're loving it. Tube amps also tend to get more expensive in 20-minute increments. Just ask some of the other tube rollers on the forum how addicting swapping out vintage tubes can get. :smiley:

...someday I'll get back to a tube rig but that is after kids college is paid for.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Viking64
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »

Glad you're loving it. Tube amps also tend to get more expensive in 20-minute increments. Just ask some of the other tube rollers on the forum how addicting swapping out vintage tubes can get. :smiley:

...someday I'll get back to a tube rig but that is after kids college is paid for.
    I have read about quite a few instances of tube rolling. Thankfully, blue is my favorite color so maybe I'll stick with these for a while. :D What's amazing is that with the new amp, my 2.3's are revealing the type of sound fields I enjoyed back in the 90's when they were new. I can only imagine what they will be like when I get my new crossovers. They might even make Poison sound good. HAHAHA

• dpowell
    Options
    That makes me recall when I had an Anthem Pre2L and Anthem Amp 1 tube setup connected to modded SDA 1C's. SDA soundstage was unreal like liquid gold and so huge. Made those smaller SDA's disappear in the room. Enjoy them!

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited September 2017
    Options
    76h52ym46pls.jpg
    A 555II with a Vincent SA-T1 preamp makes my 2.3TL's sing plain old amp to speakers none of this bridging one 555II does a fine job.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Viking64
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    A 555II with a Vincent SA-T1 preamp makes my 2.3TL's sing plain old amp to speakers non of this bridging one 555II does a fine job.
    Yeah, I agree. That's why I stuck with my triple five as long as it lasted. I caught this whole bridging/bi-amping bug 10 years before I ever used the internet, and there was a lot of word-of-mouth misinformation back then (early 90's). HAHAHAHA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Nice rig! I'm guessing the tubed gadget on the marantz is a phono amp?
  • Viking64
    Options
    Nice choice on the tube amp!

Hey Michael! I thought I should let you know that your comments about Yaquin amps and Silk Audio had a major impact on my decision to buy mine. This thread in particular: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143534/i-just-bought-this-last-week-yaqin-ms-30l-integrated-tube-amp/p1

Thank you!

-Jim
  • Viking64
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do the crossover upgrades and the RDO198-1 tweeters. Then, apply Dynamat Extreme to the stamped steel baskets, upgrade the binding posts and install Larry's rings. You'll think you died and went to audio heaven. Oh yeah, a different amp would be a good idea too.

And this is the comment that stuck in my head all of these years and led me to return to this forum to continue my research regarding my 2.3TL's.

Thank you, Jesse. And Happy Birthday. :D
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Awesome, I haven't used a tubed amp but have a tube pre and enjoy it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Viking64
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • Viking64
    Options
    This morning, a package was shipped to me from 5601 Metro Drive. Six SILK tweeters to go with my SILK Audio tube amp. :p Things are coming together with my 2.3TL rebuild.

I have a friend that does custom woodworking and I am thinking about doing something to these after being inspired by the photograph below. Any thoughts or suggestions? mn3cdptd9q28.jpg
  • ken brydson
    Options
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Nice choice on the tube amp!

Hey Michael! I thought I should let you know that your comments about Yaquin amps and Silk Audio had a major impact on my decision to buy mine. This thread in particular: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143534/i-just-bought-this-last-week-yaqin-ms-30l-integrated-tube-amp/p1

Thank you!

-Jim

That's cool Jim! I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. SDA's and tube amps are a great match!
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Viking64
    Options
    Echo , echo..

:D The first one didn't appear, so I tried again.

Also, the first one didn't appear, so I tried again. :p
  • Viking64
    Options
    That's cool Jim! I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. SDA's and tube amps are a great match!
    I am really enjoying it. I have already had plenty of "I never heard that before" moments in several of my favorite songs. HAHAHA
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    This morning, a package was shipped to me from 5601 Metro Drive. Six SILK tweeters to go with my SILK Audio tube amp. :p Things are coming together with my 2.3TL rebuild.

I have a friend that does custom woodworking and I am thinking about doing something to these after being inspired by the photograph below. Any thoughts or suggestions? mn3cdptd9q28.jpg

Looks like they slapped some kitchen counters on them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Looks like they slapped some kitchen counters on them.
    Welcome back. :p