Recapping kits?

Options
Does anyone sell kits for the monitor 7s,10s and SDAs I need to recap mine and it seems everyone has their own preference when it come to maker of caps.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Member Westmassguy should be able to help you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    And put it together for you to make it even easier.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ya know, that wouldn't be a bad idea for wmg or someone to offer cap/resistor kits with everything needed and a diagram sheet all in one box. And of course still offer building it for them as you do now so you'd actually make a living with labor income.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    I would be happy if just one company would stock all of the parts you need for a project. Seems like you always need to order from 2 places. Just recently for my Monitor 10's I was able to get most of the parts from one place but then had to go somewhere else just for 2 lousy resistors (plus $7 shipping)

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    Slapaho wrote: »
    Ya know, that wouldn't be a bad idea for wmg or someone to offer cap/resistor kits with everything needed and a diagram sheet all in one box. And of course still offer building it for them as you do now so you'd actually make a living with labor income.

At first thought it sounds like a good idea until you start doing the math!
    If you went with just sonicap gen 1 caps & mills resistors for just the 3rd-5th gen SDA's (2B, CRS+, 1C, SRS 2 (1987), 3.1TL 2.3, 2.3TL, 1.2, 1.2TL) to just buy enough parts to put together 1 kit per speaker model it would cost over $3000 and that doesn't count markup, handling & shipping to you and your customers! and most places don't even start giving you a break until you start buying 10+ per item. Then start thinking about stocking other brands of caps & resistors like the 6 different type of ClairtyCaps (CMR, CSA, MR, ESA, PX, PWA) & Dueland resistors are over $50 each.

You could be over $100K in stock just to cover your bases.

JMO.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    I would be happy if just one company would stock all of the parts you need for a project. Seems like you always need to order from 2 places. Just recently for my Monitor 10's I was able to get most of the parts from one place but then had to go somewhere else just for 2 lousy resistors (plus $7 shipping)

Try Sonic Craft
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    ^ Yep, one stop shopping ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    For it to work he'd need to get in a distributer and buy for dealer's or Jobber's cost.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    As Tony mentioned, initially, it sounds like a good Idea, but there are so many Polk models, revisions, and undocumented revisions or on-the-fly changes, it would be maddening.
    Another problem, is the skillset of the purchaser. Some guys think they can solder, and trust me, they cannot. I've repaired crossovers, (and Bose EQs) that were nearly destroyed by incompetent/well meaning tinkerers.
    The possibilities for endless aggravation are too great.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/