Weird Sub Cable

Hello,

I have or had a BJC 10' sub cable. Lately I've been noticing some weird bass coming out of my sub or sometime the sub wont turn on.. Sometimes the bass is muddy just sometimes. For the most part it sounded good. Today I was cranking some tunes and in the middle of the track the bass went out. Sub went into auto off. I told my son what happened and he said that has been happening to him a lot lately.

So I started trouble shooting and first thing luckily I did was go to the garage and grab a Monoprice sub cable. swapped it out and bass was back slamming nice and tight. Ran over to BestBuy and grabbed an Audioquest Black Lab sub cable for $40. As soon as I got home I swapped out the Monoprice for the Audioquest, cranked the tunes back up and oh yes back in business.

I am not able to full pull out the BJC cable due to I would have to remove a lot of equipment. My guess is one of the connectors had the solder weaken. BJC cable was about 8 years old and had been recently removed when I put in my new VTF3 a few months ago.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Good to know its not just me. Not cool.
    I have had 2 sub cables fail from them in the last 2 years. I also have had an HDMI cable fail.
    I am careful in the way I run cables so the don't have to much stress on the connectors, but it is the connectors for sure when I find the short.
    I put SVS sub cables on my 2 new subs they are low cost and quality. I also have Audioquest and Transparent cable in the main rack with no issues.

I have bought a lot of cables from them over the years for me and side jobs I do. I am not sure I am ordering any more going forward. Cable failure is the last thing I want to be trouble shooting. Good luck getting the cable out of your rack.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Good to know its not just me. Not cool.
    I have had 2 sub cables fail from them in the last 2 years. I also have had an HDMI cable fail.
    I am careful in the way I run cables so the don't have to much stress on the connectors, but it is the connectors for sure when I find the short.
    I put SVS sub cables on my 2 new subs they are low cost and quality. I also have Audioquest and Transparent cable in the main rack with no issues.

I have bought a lot of cables from them over the years for me and side jobs I do. I am not sure I am ordering any more going forward. Cable failure is the last thing I want to be trouble shooting. Good luck getting the cable out of your rack.

Hey I'm not alone with a bad BJC.

I'll stick with Audioquset for now on. Might be a little more but hey it's going to work and not go bad.

I did all my wires neat and clean, to remove the BJC I'll have to pull everything out to get behind my HT which will not be fun. Maybe thanksgiving week
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music