ruh-roh -- more Technics :|"Plattenspieler" news

Options

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Looks pretty cool so far, but, they need to finish it.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    c1arso5igjw1.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    OK, but where's the tonearm go? :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    BYOP

(bring your own plinth)

:)

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,452
    Options
    Pretty cool.
    Be even cooler if they actually make it affordable this time, instead of,
    ♫ I got some iiiiice cream
    and you don't got nonnne ♪
    You can't afforrrrd it
    Cause, you on the wellllfaaaare
    and your dad is a alcohollllic
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    If the current SL-1200 isn't considered affordable -- then... no. It won't be affordable. :neutral:
  • msg
    Options
    Is it still $4k? I haven't looked in a while.

It was exciting and I loved what they did with the new 1200, and would love to see/hear one, but it was disappointing that they didn't come out with a "classic" version, as well as that flagship and the collector limited edition. Just seemed like such a narrow market. Could have been intentional/feeler.

I don't have enough experience with tables in general, let alone Technics tables, to know how they compare to others, and whether the improvements truly did put them on par with other audiophile turntables of similar costpoint, like the VPI Prime, etc. I can see some thinking, "But it's *just* a Technics?" regardless of the new design improvements?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Is it still $4k? I haven't looked in a while.

It was exciting and I loved what they did with the new 1200, and would love to see/hear one, but it was disappointing that they didn't come out with a "classic" version, as well as that flagship and the collector limited edition. Just seemed like such a narrow market. Could have been intentional/feeler.

I don't have enough experience with tables in general, let alone Technics tables, to know how they compare to others, and whether the improvements truly did put them on par with other audiophile turntables of similar costpoint, like the VPI Prime, etc. I can see some thinking, "But it's *just* a Technics?" regardless of the new design improvements?

The old 1200 is a good tt,and the new one appears to be (should be) better in several respects; the "general purpose" version of the rebooted SL-1200 (SL-1200GR) is (or will be), if memory serves, about $1600. Not outrageous by 2017 standards, I'd posit. The SL-1200G "flagship" was/is $4k.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/technics-sl-1200gr-first-look-review/

ry49fdic290x.png

• msg
    Options
    That's a good article, Doc, with info on the GR vs G. I'm not sure I even knew that GR model was out. Or coming out? Details fuzzy; vague recollection, possibly slated for later this year?
    Yeaht, $1600 - $1700, looks like.

Damped platter. Redesigned feet. RCA jacks instead of captive cables.

They sure are nice looking tables, though, aren't they?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah -- I thought the "GR" was out but Googling doesn't turn up a source or prices. It is coming, though.

An AK thread posited that the new SP10 with a base (ahem, I mean - of course - plinth) and (Technics) arm will be in the neighborhood of $12k. Not sure how informed of a SWAG that is, though.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-technics-sp-10r-reference-turntable.785921/