My 1975 Buick Riviera...

13»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2017
    Oh how I wish I had bought one when they were reasonably priced. A restored 246 Dino with the Daytona seats goes for about $250-275K.

An unrestored driver that may need a little work and isn't a Spider goes for about $75-100K.

They still are considered the best handling Ferrari (now called a Ferrari, not in the day) by most Ferrari enthusiasts.

That body is drop dead gorgeous...........one of the sexiest cars I've ever seen, IMO and many others. Pretty much perfection, with the right amount of curves and superbly balanced looking. Pics don't do it justice, just like pics of a supermodel don't compare to the super model in person.

Sat in one many times, never driven one and probably will never own one.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited August 2017
    The 206 GT was the first small production run and were longer and sleeker

zeneva_009a.jpg

Early 246's were aluminum as well, but only a small run. It was too costly so they switched to steel.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Could have bought tge Dino for under 20k back in the 90's, and that would have been a very nice driver quality car.... oh how I wish I had a time machine for some of these cars.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    Could have bought tge Dino for under 20k back in the 90's, and that would have been a very nice driver quality car.... oh how I wish I had a time machine for some of these cars.

You and me both!

Not as in love with American Muscle cars as some, but I certainly understand the allure and I grew up in that time period.

A classic is a classic. I appreciate the old American muscle, but have no desire to own one.

H9

• heiney9
    edited August 2017
    This has been called the "Modern Day 246 Dino"

Alfa-Romeo-4C-production-preview-05.jpg

alfa-4c-spider-italy-1.jpg

I also think these are sexy as H E L L. Prices are reasonable. I actually thought about maybe getting one. But from what I've read they are not suited for everyday driving. Pretty much a hard core track car that would punish me on these Illinois roads. Also not to thrilled with Alfa's comeback as they are plagued with issues.....

H9
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I'll never own anything very interesting in the way of automobilia due to my "no car that cost more than our first house" rule: $41k.

:)

Unfortunately, the reality of the prices of anything even halfway exotic left me much less interested in all of this stuff than I used to be :(
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Rules were meant to be broken Mark, live on the edge....for a bit anyway. You only go around once, no re-do's....unless your Shirley McClain.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited August 2017
    2 rules I have always tried to live by 1) never want to be "house poor" 2) never want to be "car poor".

So far so good....lol

I know too many peeps that overspend on a house and/or cars. One small interruption in their income and they are practically bankrupt.

H9

P.s. I prefer to go bankrupt on tubes!!! In fact I stopped cold turkey one day. Buying tubes. It was becoming a mild addiction trying to win those auctions. I have enough variety of tubes to last several lifetimes...lol

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    heiney9 wrote: »
    2 rules I have always tried to live by 1) never want to be "house poor" 2) never want to be "car poor".

So far so good....lol

I know too many peeps that overspend on a house and/or cars. One small interruption in their income and they are practically bankrupt.

H9

P.s. I prefer to go bankrupt on tubes!!! In fact I stopped cold turkey one day. Buying tubes. It was becoming a mild addiction trying to win those auctions. I have enough variety of tubes to last several lifetimes...lol

Now I'm audio poor.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• I am just poor, period.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    house and land is paid for; we're good there.
    We are carrying a loan on Mrs. H's car -- finance rate was so low it didn't really make sense to spend principal on it (past a reasonable 'downpayment') :/ First car we've ever taken a loan on; kind of weird feeling, actually.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I am just poor, period.
    I invented my own currency. Shmuck-bucks
    I'm the richest guy in my basement...
    I don't tell my wife or she'd steal that money too.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Sorry guys............I'd rather have this 1970's automobile

H9

Na... This '71 would be my choice. Worth more too.

2gxim5llms9o.png

k4nl5wktb6zm.png

https://hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2013/06/1971-Hemi--Cuda-Convertible/3726721.html

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I live in a bucket truck.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    lightman1 wrote: »

Worth a million dollars in Houston area right now
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    THAT is one nice 'Cuda. *drools*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    59 Bel Air.Truly a car built to kill you. No seat belts, non-collapsible steering, metal dash board. I had a 1960 in high school. Paid $100 for it.
    I owned a 71 Mach one Mustang and a 1969 Camaro during my GI years.
    I also went in with 2 other guys on a 1969 Firebird with a 400 under the hood.
    Wished I still had either 69'.
    My son's 1st car was a 1979 Trans am. His first real car he bought when
    he got out in the working world was a 2002 Trans am (7th to the last one ever built).
    His current toy is a 2016 Corvette. He likes to drive FAST.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2017
    tonyb wrote: »
    Rich, also sweet, those Chevelles rocked. Probably wish ya still had it huh.

Yeah I do miss it, different versions at different times..lol. Wife enjoyed it at first as a cruiser, but I went too far. It was nice with working A/C, good stereo. Fast enough, 3:55 rear gear, could go on expressway and have some fun. The real 13 to 1 compression, 3.5" exhaust and 4:10 rear gear upgrade changed all that. I say real 13 to 1 as block was decked, heads CC'd to specs required.

It required leaded racing fuel then. Couldn't hear the stereo when it was running, couldn't use the A/C in traffic as it would overheat, street tires were useless for traction when you got into the throttle.

I sold it to a guy and told him no unleaded. He didn't listen, drove too far on a tank of race fuel, added unleaded and had to have it towed home.

While it was a replicant, I installed an SS dash in it. Most folks believed it was a real SS then.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    59 Bel Air.Truly a car built to kill you. No seat belts, non-collapsible steering, metal dash board. I had a 1960 in high school. Paid $100 for it.
    I owned a 71 Mach one Mustang and a 1969 Camaro during my GI years.
    I also went in with 2 other guys on a 1969 Firebird with a 400 under the hood.
    Wished I still had either 69'.
    My son's 1st car was a 1979 Trans am. His first real car he bought when
    he got out in the working world was a 2002 Trans am (7th to the last one ever built).
    His current toy is a 2016 Corvette. He likes to drive FAST.

The 59 rear fins were also airfoils. The tail end had a tendency to rise up, and become unstable under certain conditions.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Sounds like a few women I have been with over the years....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1 wrote: »
    I live in a bucket OF FUN truck.

Fixed.

Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2017
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Sounds like a few women I have been with over the years....

Tom

Oh crap, Amen to that brother. lol

Like that Cuda.....just could never get past that funky grill.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    lightman1 wrote: »

6p7240elkw89.png
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Not our Lightman...he has unsoiled pants on...

Whoa, overlooked the obvious! He has pants on...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • erniejade wrote: »
    I remember in the early 80's I had a 74 Malibu that the floor boards rusted out and you could see the road as you drove and passengers had to spread their legs around the holes. Good times.
    Didn't everyone have a beater they had to use a screwdriver to start it with ? lol Had an old one with no tranny linkage, had to get under the car and hit the lever manually to change from drive to reverse. Car started in any gear though, just had to remember to keep your foot on the brakes.

That reminded me of high school and a good high school buddy who had a Chevette with rusted out floor boards. That in conjunction with my dad having an old Volkwagon Beetle that my mom and I had to push down the road with my dad popping the clutch for him to start it and get off to work.

If you went through those experiences, then the comedian John Heffron has a funny bit about those same things when he grew up. You can listen to his sound bit here on YouTube and the car bit starts at about the 50 second mark.

John Heffron - No Power

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • ^^^ Now that's funny stuff (and true !) GT. :)

Sal Palooza
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    erniejade wrote: »
    I remember in the early 80's I had a 74 Malibu that the floor boards rusted out and you could see the road as you drove and passengers had to spread their legs around the holes. Good times.
    Didn't everyone have a beater they had to use a screwdriver to start it with ? lol Had an old one with no tranny linkage, had to get under the car and hit the lever manually to change from drive to reverse. Car started in any gear though, just had to remember to keep your foot on the brakes.

That reminded me of high school and a good high school buddy who had a Chevette with rusted out floor boards. That in conjunction with my dad having an old Volkwagon Beetle that my mom and I had to push down the road with my dad popping the clutch for him to start it and get off to work.

I had a buddy that had a Chevette with the same issue. He lived in Pittsburgh and I remember driving over an older bridge there and looking through the floorboard of the car and through the broken concrete of the bridge and seeing the river down below. The Fred Flintstone car.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2017
    During the brief period in which I was physically able to drive ('91-'97) I had A LOT of different vehicles. It was a running joke amongst my friends that I changed vehicles as often as most people changed their underwear (I seriously hope that's not true because I owned some cars for years and others for just months. lol).

I'm not going to post the pictures of all the cars I owned here but I will post some of my favorites (in no particular order) :)

1970 1/2 Camaro. 350 4bbl (Quadrajet) on an aluminum Weiand intake manifold. 4-speed "Rockcrusher" trans. Dual exhaust (Thrush "Turbo" mufflers terminating through Borla stainless steel exhaust tips - sounded fantastic). The car had rust along the tops of the fenders and they would need to be replaced. The headliner was torn right above the driver's side front and it was getting progressively worse the longer I drove the car. No rear window defogger made it a PITA to drive in the winter (yes, this was my daily driver). The previous owner replaced the original bucket seats with black high back bucket seats from a Camaro of a different year. It had A/C and it worked great but I hardly ever used it. No tilt steering but it did have an aftermarket, leather wrapped, 3-spoke steering wheel. The speedometer didn't work; I had to guestimate my speed by the gear I was in and the RPM's. The previous owner also replaced the middle tail lights (the ones with the white reverse light incorporated) with a solid red tail light and rewired them so when I was braking, all 4 lit up (it looked like a Corvette and I really dug that but it made parking in the dark difficult without reverse lights!). That car was broken into more than once and it was involved in a hit & run leaving me with a huge dent in the passenger door. I sold it to a kid who ended up restifying it. I loved driving this car. It was quick but not so much so that it made every day driving difficult. Gas mileage was actually ok. It handled great!

36690366890_40a588b881_o.jpg

1979 Olds Cutlass. The 350 "Rocket" engine was one we transplanted from a '72 Cutlass and was rebuilt with an Edelbrock Performer RPM cam, manifold, & carburetor. Also had a set of roller rockers. Dual exhaust similar to the last car but no Borla tips (just chrome extensions). American Racing rims mimicked Center Line wheels (I worked for Goodyear and we were paired with American Racing). All new shocks & springs too. This car was stolen and they blew the engine, popped the lock on the trunk, removed the collar on the steering column to access the ignition without a key, stole the mirrors, stereo, rims, & tires. Ended up selling it to a friend who turned it into a drag race only vehicle.

37086664005_acd6e6aab6_o.jpg

1987 Buick Turbo Regal ("T Package"). In '87 the T-Package replaced the T-Type but they were essentially the same vehicle. The grill was a little different and the '87 had the highest HP & torque. She didn't have posi when I bought her so we added a limited slip rear diff. Also upgraded the hoses and clamps to & from the turbo to keep oil buildup from allowing them to "slip" off. Adjustable boost was added and an aftermarket chip. K&N filter went in there too. Added chrome tips to the exhaust just for the look. My disability ramped up while I owned this car and I sold it to a mechanic who did some of the work on it. Fastest car I ever owned and the nicest to drive on a daily basis; got pretty good gas mileage as long as I wasn't standing on the gas pedal, smooth, comfortable ride, real back seat, and a real trunk all while still being one fast ****. For all intents and purposes, this was the "perfect" car for me. For some reason, I didn't take many photos of this car & that was unusual for me.

37086602475_df22778ce7_o.jpg

Last, but not least, 1972 Buick Skylark (Post coupe). This car belonged to my uncle. He passed away after a bout with Alzheimer's (very sad). The car was collecting dust and mouse turds in the garage at the family's farm when I asked my aunt to sell it to me. We went up to East Troy Wisconsin, from Chicago, every weekend for over a month to get her in good enough shape to drive back to Chicago. We had to replace brake lines, the water pump & thermostat. All 4 tires were OEM; they were flat, flat, flat, flat & dry rotted. I cleaned up & detailed what I could up there. When we got it back to Chicago I put on dual exhaust with Thrush turbo mufflers and Borla stainless steel tips (sounded really nice). The engine was the stock Buick 350 w/ a 2 bbl carb. Believe it or not, that engine had gobs of torque. I had to replace the shocks and springs because the OEM equipment was shot. The car didn't have A/C or power brakes (4-wheel drum brakes, mind you) or power steering when I got it (my uncle wasn't the original owner - he bought it from someone and hung onto it). We found the original window sticker under the back seat. This car had almost no optional equipment, not even floor carpet (just heavy duty rubber coating/mat). After I couldn't drive it any longer I sold it to a kid who wrecked it. I got a call from the impound yard asking me if I wanted to pick it up. Broke my heart.

36251482404_28ae6c2afb_o.jpg

Sorry for the threadjack. Thanks for the walk down memory lane! Nice Riv man! Good luck with it!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • I need to dig out some pictures of the 64 T-Bird that I used to have. Bought it off my future father in law (who worked at a Ford dealership). Cherry condition, both body and mechanically.

This 64 T-Bird is NOT mine, but it has the same white on red color scheme.

j1hy3w7wd2vy.jpg

That's what mine looked like before it was rear ended at about 100 mph by 2 guys racing. Neither had insurance. :(

I don't think I have any pre-crash pics, but the post-crash pics are pretty cool. :)

Sal Palooza