Texas Hurricane

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    ^^you have a link to CBS reporting the shark hoax? All I see is Fox news falling for it.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Wow, just wow.....p3akmmt6j4d1.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    F1nut wrote: »
    Wow, just wow.....p3akmmt6j4d1.jpg

Beyond words, can't imagine having to deal with that.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2017
    .........and to top things off many, many families don't have flood insurance. This is a once in a lifetime or perhaps several lifetimes crisis.

I know how stressed I was to have a little water in my basement this last round of rain in Illinois. We had like 12" (of rain) over about a week or so..........Seems pretty inconsequential now.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    msg wrote: »
    Jeez, friggin' nuts down there. I saw some footage on my way out the door this morning of a few lone motorists on top of their vehicles. I'm bad for driving in heavy rain and minor flooding, but I hope those people had a really good reason for ignoring the warnings and trying to brave to wherever they were trying to get.

Thinking about TX; looks to be a horrible mess, but wishing everyone the best possible outcomes here in this, and at the very least, personal and family safety.

Problems got compounded in the last 36hrs. More mandatory evacuations were called because of dam releases and breaches. They told you to evacuate, but also told you be careful roads are closed...a tragic oxymoron.

This is far from over and spans through so many towns and counties it's unreal. The river issue takes it to places that were not effected by the storm itself.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Was there a levee breach?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• txcoastal1
    Was there a levee breach?

Reservoir dams had to be released and spillways were overwhelmed

The Brazos, Trinity, and Colorado rivers

Lake Livingston, Lake Houston, Lake Conroe

The the bayous, creeks etc

All tie into the same systems heading to the bay's and the Gulf

All coming to a head

1000's more homes added to the flooded out list just from the breaches

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    26 cubic MILES of water....

Almost 1% of Lake Superior
  • F1nut
    1976Doc, your comments are out of line.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    1976doc wrote: »
    If people knew that they were going to be billed for the cost of a rescue, they wouldn't put themselves in situations that they would need to be rescued from.

Take this somewhere else.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    If people knew that they were going to be billed for the cost of a rescue, they wouldn't put themselves in situations that they would need to be rescued from.

You are just one of those guys that needs to hit the floor..

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    F1nut wrote: »
    They knew it was coming, yet they stayed

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt."

Too late for that!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2017
    I'm sorry, but 1976doc, there won't be any bills for rescues. Many are being rescued by neighbors with trucks and boats or volunteers from around the area. You need to get lost or at least try a Snickers Bar.

I have to give Houstonians credit for how the services are being provided at the convention center. Totally different scene from the Superdome and Conventions center in Katrina. Their is an air of hope and belief that they are truly lucky to have some place to stay.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    This refers to a different kind of storm, in a different state, in a different time -- but I think this is one of the most evocative songs of its type, so I offer the link here in honor of the literally millions of folks in Texas who find themselves, still, in harm's way -- with a long road ahead.

https://youtu.be/MGs2iLoDUYE

Beautiful, stately, and elegiac.

• Lives were actually saved by not evacuating this time around. The 108 lives lost during the last evacuations were mostly due to cars driving in deep water evacuating. If I'm wrong, someone local correct me.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • txcoastal1
    Louisiana is a perfect song
    Neville rendition is good too

• Wonder if Olsteen has opened his church for evacuees?

• txcoastal1
    Olsteen did open the church

Better late than never

• F1nut
    edited August 2017

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt."

Id rather be thought a fool for my opinions than be known a fool for my actions

In this case, your words are your actions. Karma is a beotch.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Actions like... sending my parents, ex wife, and ex parents-in-law each the money for fuel, food, and hotels to get out of the way of this thing.

So you can see how there would be people that couldn't afford to leave if they wanted to. Even if they did leave they just lost their house and job, so they'd still need help.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Where there is a will there is a way...
    You can't honestly think everyone that stayed was unable to leave do you?

I'm not going to argue. People need help in a big way so I'm going to do what I can.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I'd request that everyone refrains from responding to 1976doc. He's obviously taking a caring, informative thread and turning it south.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    Actions like... sending my parents, ex wife, and ex parents-in-law each the money for fuel, food, and hotels to get out of the way of this thing.. yup. Im a fool alright..

Karma has always been on my side..

Google this
    Why was evacuation not called for Harvey

Here's a quote "Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one and some act like one"

Happy you assisted some people, others aren't as fortunate
    If.their house is destroyed will you be sending them money every week?

• Actions like... sending my parents, ex wife, and ex parents-in-law each the money for fuel, food, and hotels to get out of the way of this thing.. yup. Im a fool alright..
    You can't honestly think everyone that stayed was unable to leave do you?

My question would be, if you hadn't sent your parents, ex wife, and ex parents-in-law money, what would THEY have done ?
    And I'm finished with you in this thread, 1976doc.

I will take Psovlk's most excellent advice from this point on. There are people who are in need and help.
    Sal Palooza
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    My Heart & Soul cries out for Houston and my heart feels crushed. This is the one we will talk about forever and it is not ever yet.

Having friends caught up in this only makes it more surreal.

I know one way I can help and hope everyone see's the truth of why we must do everything we can!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD