Small form factor Integrated

Need suggestions on small form factor integrated amps. Don't need but bout 25watts/rms @8ohm, but I need a smaller package. It'll be for my patio/pool rig.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Ampino looks great, but I'd hate to have a $560 amp outside 24/7. Something a little less expensive?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    Under $400. What about the NAD D3020?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    PS Audio Sprout
    Musical Fidelity V90-AMP
    Teac AI-101DA
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    YAMAHA - A-S301 Integrated Amp
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Ampino looks great, but I'd hate to have a $560 amp outside 24/7. Something a little less expensive?

i would keep any amp inside and just run the cables outside. i wouldn't even keep the speakers outside, just hook them up outside when i want to use them.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I use an old Marantz 2252B and run the speaker wires out to the lanai.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2017
    This topic just came up in this thread: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178579/new-lsim-705s-703s#latest The OP is looking for a small form factor integrated for an office. I suggested a used NAD D 7050 ...however, there's a used Denon PMA-50 still up for grabs on ebay for $269.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/263159934005?rmvSB=true

Another idea...
    After the KEF LS50 Wireless demo at the AXPONA show this year I think active wireless/bluetooth is the way to go for an around the house systems. A setup like this can really simplify things. Something like the cheaper Kef EGG Wireless Audioengine, PSB, etc. active products would be cool to have to use in different rooms or outside.

Getting back to the LS50 Wireless.....The sound was very very impressive to my ears and the setup was very simple. Heck, I could live with that sound in my main room... the presenter noted how he cleared out a rack of gear and toweres in his own home in favor of a simple wife approved LS50 Wireless setup. He put on a great demo...I would have bought a pair on the spot if I had an extra $2.5K burning a hole in the pocket: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/axpona-2017-kef.1498/

https://audio-head.com/the-magic-of-kef-at-axpona-2017/

This guy was really impressed and he's had some serious gear.
    https://youtu.be/xPbPLJmMaJs

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/kef-ls50-wireless-speaker-review-my-speaker-of-the-year-so-far/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • steveinaz
    That Pro-ject would be perfect, but I just found out my genie box has ONLY a coaxial digital output. The NAD is looking better---does bluetooth too. Hmmm
  • steveinaz
    Too expensive, and way over-built for what I need. I have a small dac I bought from monoprice years ago to adapt my HDTV's optical out to RCA analog to run my wireless headphones for Bev's Dad. The pro-ject may work afterall. $150 to boot!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Too expensive, and way over-built for what I need. I have a small dac I bought from monoprice years ago to adapt my HDTV's optical out to RCA analog to run my wireless headphones for Bev's Dad. The pro-ject may work afterall. $150 to boot!

How are those TOSLINK to RCA converters? I am in need of one and have yet to decide on one although they seem to be mostly in the same price range.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Steve,
    I like the older Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha mini system amp/receivers. Most are well built and have about the power you are looking for. Just stay away from the ones with built in CD players. Price won't make you too worried about theft, etc.

Here are a couple examples:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-R-805X-AM-FM-Tuner-Stereo-Amplifier-USED-TESTED-WORKING-/272822734439?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RX-E100-Natural-Sound-Stereo-Receiver-Mini-Shelf-System-/142488450782?

You can usually find them as integrated amps and/or receivers. I have an Onkyo A-905x system in my daughter's room and it works very well.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • billbillw
    Also, if you are talking about the Geni Mini not having analog output, there is a cheap solution ($20 or less):
    https://www.weaknees.com/cart/Breakout-Component-and-AV-Cable-for-H25-C31-and-C41.html
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Bill. The little DAC ($20) I have works great. I had to buy one because my TV only has optical out for audio. Works great with my RCA wireless headphones.

The little dac from monoprice will work with the Genie client as well, converting the coax out to analog RCA.

I'm actually gonna go with the NAD D3020 and some Polk Atriums for the patio/pool.
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2017
    Here's the little DAC I have, $17.95 from Monoprice:

k44ec8ly2ohw.jpg

This allows me to run the toslink out from my TV to the RCA analog connections needed for my wireless headphones, for Bev's Dad.

Funny story before I bought those wireless headphones, we came home one day and Bev's Dad had the TV volume on 100! The next day we had wireless headphones for him.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
  • steveinaz
    The Sprout is a nice setup it's definitely on my possibility list.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I owned one for a while.
    It was great! Ran out of a use for it and sold it. Now, I want it again but am waiting for it to hit the used market at ~$300.
    Phono, USB, and Bluetooth. Volume control was butter smooth.
    Ran my 97db Omen's with ease.

Huge PS Audio fan. Wish i could afford there higher end stuff.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2017
    I decided to go with the Teac AI-301DA. Plenty of analog/dig inputs, 30watts/rms @ 8ohms, bluetooth, compact. I've got rewards with Crutchfield, so I can get it for about $320.

yrnjol8dmgkv.jpg

3dsv9ywa6iuy.jpg

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited September 2017
    Steve, I have been very happy with my Teac NP-H750. I have had it about 4 years and use it in my office daily connected to a pair of Audio Engine P4's or Grado SR-80's. Sources are Parasound zTuner and PC via USB. In fact the Doors are playing thru it as I type this.

I have never done any serious listening with it. My work environment is not really structured for that. But for low volume listening it is a nice unit and has never had any issues.

I think you made a great choice. Let us know how it works out.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • steveinaz
    Thanks, I think it'll be perfect for the patio/pool rig. Now I need a POOL! LOL
  • Looks nice!

I hear ya on the pool. One of these days.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • billbillw
    Steve,
    I have the UD-301 DAC/Headphone version. I'm not 100% sure if the DAC implementation in yours is the same, but if it is, you're in for a treat, especially if you feed it nice FLAC or especially, high rez tracks. Hope you enjoy. A little nicer than I would put outside, but you don't have the humidity issues we do.
  • steveinaz
    It'll be in the shade, and won't get wet--but on a bar in a well protected corner.