Preamp with HT bypass reccomendations

rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 614
edited August 2017 in Electronics
I am considering adding a preamp to my existing rig to enhance 2-channel listening. I have a yamaha aventage 1060 avr with a parasound a23 amp. This system servers ht and 2channel duty. Will I see a significant improvement by adding a pre?

I would think the p5 would be a great match since it has ht bypass, however I have heard some say the a23/p5 combo can be a bit sterile? What other manufactures that have ht bypass should I consider.

Looking for recommendations and suggestions.

Thanks,
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I would add a tubed pre, if you want to enhance your 2 channel listening. Tubed pre's don't necessarily need a HT by-pass function. If they have a standby mode, the signal will still pass. I use a vintage Joule la-100 in the same fashion your looking for, works like a charm and sounds fantastic.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • My budget for this is around $600.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• Happy to update I pulled the trigger on a P5 and it does exactly what I want it to do. This unit is perfect for me and I am getting the experience of a dedicated pre-amp and matching amp while able to use the bypass mode for HT. The audio improvement is noticeable and pleasing. CDs sound more lifelike and detailed, streaming with chromecast is better as well. I am truly enjoying 2- channel music more and more.
    Living Room

Office