Equipment protection, dust mites, cat hair, human hair.........

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,053
I have a dust problem in my house in general. It also doesn't help that one end of my rig is very close to a heating/AC vent, so I get a lot of dust accumulation. I dust regularly, but it still is a nuisance.

I am thinking about having some custom dust covers made for my 2 channel rig. I found this company which gives many choices of fabrics and materials, etc.

https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/

Anyone heard of them? Used them? Or have an alternative? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money. Just something that fits well and looks nice to combat the dust issue. The dust is getting inside the vents of the gear too, so that's the main reason I'm also looking.

Discuss

H9

P.s. Oh yeah the cat hair and the GF's long hair are an issue too, just to a lesser extent than the dust. Me, I don't have much hair left so I know it's not mine...lol
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2017
    @SCompRacer used them and posted about it IIRC

**edit** here is it (photobucket nuked though)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    I knew he had some made, but I forgot who it was that made them for him. Thanks!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9

This link is to this thread...lol

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    tonyb wrote: »
    Protection ??

300 a month and I'll beat that dust back into the vents. ;)

I'll take that bet B)

I had the same dust problem. I just use my air compressor and blow it out spring and fall.
  • heiney9
    I don't doubt that you would Tony...lol.

I have been doing the compressed air thing, but it's a PITA and it never gets it fully out of the gear. I think the dust covers will work well. I did a search after I posted, and it seems they have been mentioned before.

My rig gets little use in the Summer as I am much more busy and don't have the time. But also the rig runs hot, and in the Summer it really heats up the room, so I tend to avoid the rig a bit more. But mostly it's a time thing in the Summer months.

H9
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    heiney9 wrote: »

This link is to this thread...lol

Lets try this again (here)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    I have a similar problem, one room in particular. Planning to inspect and replace the supply duct there to see if it helps.

I hadn't thought of doing this with audio gear yet, especially some of the pieces that still generate significant heat in standby, but I use little microfiber cloths to drape over stuff like a computer printer and a scanner, which really helps keeping rollers clean to avoid feed problems.

Come to think of it, I'm also using one of the soft, clothy packing 'bags' that came with the 703s, folded and draped over the Onix tube integrated to keep the dust off it. This is my only piece of tubed gear at the moment, and that's enough for it to be a nuisance without dust protection.

Microfiber towels probably wouldn't work if you have a cat that likes to lounge on your stuff.

DigitalDeckCovers looks like a great resource for better protection.

Along similar lines, I also use this for maintenance dusting, which really helps and has been nearly painless, doesn't really feel like work, and actually kinda fun to use because it works so well. Still kinda like being forced to eat my vegetables, so I don't always do it as often as I should.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EPLEN2
    ypzrnf5doequ.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Extortion bucket sucks!

zjk4ns2964nw.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • quickr1
    quickr1 Posts: 414
    When is the last time you had your duct work cleaned out?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    May not matter. We had ours done 6 months ago and we still get bad dust
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    tonyb wrote: »
    Protection ??

300 a month and I'll beat that dust back into the vents. ;)

He is just going to sit in your chair giving dirty looks to your AC vents, in his undies.

Rocking a pair of these:
    71VFD0eApHL._UX342_.jpg
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Brock......face it......you're just nasty.
  • pitdogg2
    Some house's no matter how clean the ducts are they are just dusty...
    But it can't hurt if it has not ever been done
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I get a lot of dust too. It's not from the ducts I am in SoCal and don't use the forced air most of the time.

Whenever I vacuum I go over the top of my gear to get any dust up. once or twice a year I will pull it out take the top off and compressed air them out. most of the time there is no to very little dust inside. I am kind of a clean freak, I vacuum at least once a week.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Check your dryer vent for any leaks. At one time I was getting a little more dust than usual, the joint where the flexible pipe from the dryer connects to the solid round pipe was barely pulled away, but was enough. Also check the entire length for any leaks.

Not sure what air filters you use, but stay away from those 30-day, woven, see-thru filters.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2017
    My house is older and even cleaning the ducts doesn't help all that much. I even use a good furnace filter.

Since the GF moved in with her cat (whom I love) it just seems to be worse, or atleast the cat hair is.

• pitdogg2
    heiney9 wrote: »
    My house is older and even cleaning the ducts doesn't help all that much. I even use a good furnace filter.

Since the GF moved in with her cat (whom I love) it just seems to be worse, or atleast the cat hair is.

I do not doubt that Brock. Unlike dog hair cat hair floats up and around the house pretty easily.
  • heiney9
    He's a light colored cat so the "hair" blends in the carpet and most of my light colored furniture.
  • Another source for dust covers, seems less expensive, no history myself with this...

https://buypcsupplies.com/
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    My house is chronically under construction

I have a blue air 200 series in both bedrooms and a blueair 500 series in the common area.

Change filters every six months, it's awesome.i also use MERV 11 filters monthly.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I had a couple made around 4-5 years ago from Digital Deck Covers. Black, no frills, they work well and have lasted. One thing if you do measure, take into account the wires hooked up into the back of your equipment. This alone will make the measurement deeper. It was either that or cut them once I got 'em. Didn't feel like cutting them up in case I changed equipment (which did happen). RCA's take up more room than you'd think.

Sorry I'm late to the party..., my .02...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • LeftCoast
    LeftCoast Posts: 406
    I had the exact same situation. My girlfriend moved in.

I asked my girlfriend to shave her cat. I've been super happy ever since.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    LeftCoast wrote: »

I asked my girlfriend to shave her cat. I've been super happy ever since.

15jm1lwri9oy.jpg

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Cat hair..
    We have a cat with med. hair.
    We use a "shedding brush" quite often.

On one side is a lot of med. long hard pins set at a slight angle. They don't give at all. These pins will get most of the cats loose hair off of it.

Then the other side is a thick firm brush. It will get the remaining hairs the pins didn't get. Our cat stays petty shedding free. It's not 100% effective but darn close. Once a week maybe. Our cat seems to know what we're doing and kind of lets us do the routine and then lets us know when she's had enough..LOL.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    https://buypcsupplies.com/dust-cover
    Bought from them to cover tubes on Rogue Audio equipment.
    I like them and the fit is great if you measure correctly.