Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    These are offered locally for $120, the guy says he'll let me have them for a hundred. He says they have upgraded tweets.

A hundred bucks is realistic, 200 bucks and they'd better be mint. I guess it all depends what you have locally.da4dahkmkpde.jpg

Those are the wrong tweeters for that model. You'll have to spend $48.00 each to get the right ones.

Are those 198s?

No, they are SL2500's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    These are offered locally for $120, the guy says he'll let me have them for a hundred. He says they have upgraded tweets.

A hundred bucks is realistic, 200 bucks and they'd better be mint. I guess it all depends what you have locally.da4dahkmkpde.jpg

Those are the wrong tweeters for that model. You'll have to spend $48.00 each to get the right ones.

Are those 198s?

No, they are SL2500's.

Ah
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    No, they are SL2500's.

I think those are SL3000's, 11TL's. They look shiney and I don't see any foam, but the picture quality is low. The real question is "Are they original TL's or by "upgraded", does he mean he replaced them (and never changed the crossover)?"

The cabinets are different between my 11t's and TL's. I don't know if polk mixed and matched cabinets for a while during transition. IMO the TL's sound a little better overall including bass, not counting the SL3000 vs SL2000, but the crossovers are still stock so who really know about the upper end until they are rebuilt.

11t's and TL's have moved pretty quick in the $150-200 range in the midwest.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Satin black silk dome and no foam = SL2500.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    If you need some SL2000 ill trade you for what ever thoes are.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wonder what shipping would be... :p
  • F1nut
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    No, they are SL2500's.

I think those are SL3000's, 11TL's. They look shiney and I don't see any foam, but the picture quality is low. The real question is "Are they original TL's or by "upgraded", does he mean he replaced them (and never changed the crossover)?"

The cabinets are different between my 11t's and TL's. I don't know if polk mixed and matched cabinets for a while during transition. IMO the TL's sound a little better overall including bass, not counting the SL3000 vs SL2000, but the crossovers are still stock so who really know about the upper end until they are rebuilt.

11t's and TL's have moved pretty quick in the $150-200 range in the midwest.

Well I saw the speakers this morning. They are not 11t's, in fact they are tl's. The upgraded tweet were not 2500's, they came factory equipped with sl3000's, but they had been removed some time ago. What the seller upgraded to were simply some silk dome tweeters that he mickey moused in order to fit. He then put on the sl3000 plastic cover to try and give them a somewhat factory look.

To be honest they sounded great, the "upgraded" tweets were crisp and clear and the bass was tight. Unfortunately I'm a wee bit picky about the audio equipment that I purchase, and these speakers were far from acceptable for me. Not knocking them or anyone that would purchase them but they were just not right for me.

Ha, I knew those were silk domes, but I never would have guessed the hack job. Thanks for letting us know.

President of Club Polk

• Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    Any thoughts on the way these sound?
    Bought a pair brand new back in 1991 or so. Drove them with a Pioneer receiver I picked up in Japan in 1989 that pushed about 125wpc, they sounded wonderful. Clear highs, tight bass. Always wanted to buy a larger, cleaner amp to see how much more I could get out of them.

Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    All the good deals in the West coast...

I was going to post a pair of 11T plus a Yamaha integrated amp for $50 on Chicago CL, but I refreshed page and it was gone...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    All the good deals in the West coast...

I was going to post a pair of 11T plus a Yamaha integrated amp for $50 on Chicago CL, but I refreshed page and it was gone...

I bet it was you slacker.... next time get in the freaking car and call @EndersShadow
  • deronb1
    Options
    Speaking of RTAs. Got my 8Ts up and running again. Been a couple of years. Nice to hear the old school Polk sound again.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    For a Benny!?! You have way more self control than I...
  • pkquat
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Satin black silk dome and no foam = SL2500.

Did polk ever make SL2500's and SL3000 's without foam? (PS I thought the SL3000's did not have foam, but mine do. My domes have the semi metallic look, so they are SL3000's)
    Well I saw the speakers this morning. They are not 11t's, in fact they are tl's. The upgraded tweet were not 2500's, they came factory equipped with sl3000's, but they had been removed some time ago. What the seller upgraded to were simply some silk dome tweeters that he mickey moused in order to fit. He then put on the sl3000 plastic cover to try and give them a somewhat factory look.

To be honest they sounded great, the "upgraded" tweets were crisp and clear and the bass was tight. Unfortunately I'm a wee bit picky about the audio equipment that I purchase, and these speakers were far from acceptable for me. Not knocking them or anyone that would purchase them but they were just not right for me.

What was off about them? Pop in some RD-0198's and upgrade the crossovers. That would be the same if they were stock.
  • deronb1
    Options
    I ended up paying about $130.00 for 4 6503s shipped. I think 6510s were stock, but these are very close. Mine originally came wuth 6511s which is pretty weird.
  • pkquat
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Gotcha. My first 11t's were like that, but they were fairly cheap, and they don't come up often, and usually go fast. The are not pretty, but I am thinking of using them for full range rear surrounds. Looks are not as important there. They might also become a bedroom set.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Speaking of RTAs. Got my 8Ts up and running again. Been a couple of years. Nice to hear the old school Polk sound again.

8ts are underrated. I really enjoy mine. Especially since I scored them for $30 at a yard sale.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Ha, I saw that ad a while back. Pretty screaming deal on 15TLs. He's had them listed for a while. I think I'll negotiate and offer him $10. Does need a tweeter, afterall, and fair is fair.
    I disabled signatures.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited August 2017
    Options

Will someone buy these speakers? I have been looking at them for over a month and they are only 2 hours away. I have been spending way too much time thinking about them every time I search Craigslist.

Seems like a good deal but searching here there were posts on it 2-3 months ago and still no takers. Price seems decent and I bet you could get $50 off. Besides the tweeter and the dented cone what is wrong with them?
  • FestYboy
    Options

These were sold to a guy in Jersey. The seller is the same dude I got my NAD from. Not sure why the add is still up...
  • jimmylee123
    Options
    Derf wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the way these sound?
    Bought a pair brand new back in 1991 or so. Drove them with a Pioneer receiver I picked up in Japan in 1989 that pushed about 125wpc, they sounded wonderful. Clear highs, tight bass. Always wanted to buy a larger, cleaner amp to see how much more I could get out of them.

Thanks man, I was thinking about getting them but decided I don't really need any more speakers. Maybe if he decides he wants to come down, I don't feel 200 is a good price at all.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Well I just bought these.fn97o9q0t2bb.jpg
    Not really my cup of tea, but they were better than the one's I auditioned last Sunday. Plus these were a bit less expensive at 40 bucks. Yeah I know that these aren't tl's but they're in better overall condition.

Congrats. A steal. Very easy to "TL" BTW.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • FestYboy
    Options
    40!?! No fair :(

tell ya what, when you get tired of them, I'll give you what you gave for them. :wink:
  • CH46E
    Options
    Best deal ive seen anyone get in awhile. Cant go wrong at $40.00
  • pkquat
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Not really my cup of tea, but they were better than the one's I auditioned last Sunday. Plus these were a bit less expensive at 40 bucks. Yeah I know that these aren't tl's but they're in better overall condition.

You can't go wrong for that price. I never even see deals like that. I have found mine impressive and underwhelming at the same time, although I have not done the crossovers yet which is likely part of the issue. They seam to be fine up to a medium volume, but not much above that in a living room. I moved them to the bedroom and like them more in a smaller room. Everything sounds better about them there. They are like bookshelf speakers with a sub attached.
  • CH46E
    Options

You can't go wrong for that price. I never even see deals like that. I have found mine impressive and underwhelming at the same time, although I have not done the crossovers yet which is likely part of the issue. They seam to be fine up to a medium volume, but not much above that in a living room. I moved them to the bedroom and like them more in a smaller room. Everything sounds better about them there. They are like bookshelf speakers with a sub attached.

I know what you mean. Mine are in a large living room for tv stereo duty with Pandora music streaming sometimes. Sometimes they amaze me and others im like "what the heck is that". Ussually has to do with the type of bass being played. They seem real fussy certain bass frequencies.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Offering 50% less than the asking price is not a negotiation, it's an insult. Besides that, $200.00 is a fair price, maybe even low given their appearance.
    Parting them out....
    The woofers and radiators often go for $20.00 alone each, so that easily adds up to more for an entire pair of speakers.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options

CH46E wrote: »

I know what you mean. Mine are in a large living room for tv stereo duty with Pandora music streaming sometimes. Sometimes they amaze me and others im like "what the heck is that". Ussually has to do with the type of bass being played. They seem real fussy certain bass frequencies.

Have you tried putting a big amp on them? If you are expecting a receiver to get the best out of those speakers, you will be left wanting.

I didn't know what my RTA-8Ts truly sounded like until I put a Parasound 1500A on them.

Also, if you are expecting tons of low bass that is meant for a subwoofer to handle, you will be left wanting.

If you give them all the power they can handle and have reasonable expectations, you will probably be happy with the purchase.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • CH46E
    Options
    I have mine on a bridge NAD 906 at 90 watts per. Dont get me wrong, i like them very much. The low end is great but the slam seems to lack a bit. I paid about 4 times as much and am still happy eith them.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I didn't care for the 11's or the 15's, the bass was too boomy, great speakers if you need replacement drivers IMO!!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    For $40 the drivers would be in labeled boxes, and the cabinets would already be sitting on the curb!! LOL!!!