Monitor 5b issue- known good tweeter is silent. Might be crossover?

Options
2»

Comments

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    You can't,but you said you had continuity without the fuse and that make no sense to me.Maybe someone else can chime in with some suggestions.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • TweetTweet
    Options
    Hopefully someone else will be able to suggest something. Do you happen to know where I can find circuit diagrams for these 5bs?I haven't been able to find one, but it might be helpful for detecting the short
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • TweetTweet
    Options
    Thank you. How bizarre, it really doesn't look like there are many spots for a short to occur like what I'm observing. Maybe the next stop is to look into how I can bypass the fuse block entirely...
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Just be sure not to crank the volume to high or you can fry the tweeter,that is what the fuse is for to protect it from being over driven.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• TweetTweet
    Options
    Thank you! I've been thinking more and it's possible that this whole thing is a red herring. Generally, when the fuse is lifted, the tweeter goes dead. But I've been detecting that the fuse is somehow being detected as bypassed, or at least *some * current is getting past it somehow. Wouldn't we thusly expect the tweeter to be live despite the absent fuse? Yet, that isn't the case.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    The Monitor 5 crossover can get very tight when you start installing modern film caps. A good solution is a riser board to provide the extra space. Here's a thread documenting my Monitor 5 rehab, I hope it can assist you.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/167490/my-newly-refurbished-monitor-5s

I just saw your original post. Nice work and all, but could you clarify something. Did you not use the original Polk big inductor and install a new one of your own?
  • TweetTweet
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Just be sure not to crank the volume to high or you can fry the tweeter,that is what the fuse is for to protect it from being over driven.

Would if I could! The tweeter just doesn't seem to want to turn on at all. I'm rechecking my soldering now.
  • K_M
    Options
    You shouldn't get continuity without the fuse in place.
    He may be testing it "in place"
    then it would possibly be measuring continuity from one of the components that are across the Positive and negative.
    In the case of the tweeter, there is a coil, that is installed across from negative to positive.
  • TweetTweet
    TweetTweet Posts: 24
    edited August 2017
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    then it would possibly be measuring continuity from one of the components that are across the Positive and negative.
    In the case of the tweeter, there is a coil, that is installed across from negative to positive.

The fuse is not in place when I do the test, if that's what you mean. If not, could you elaborate?

The inductor is stock, untouched by me.
  • dkfreebird
    Options

Continuity is detected when no fuse is present ( just touching the contacts), as well as the fuse is in place.[/quote]

2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• TweetTweet
    Options

Continuity is detected when no fuse is present ( just touching the contacts), as well as the fuse is in place.

[/quote]

Bingo.

I've given up for today after redoing my solder points and crimps to no avail. Hopefully someone else has run into something like this,as I'm currently stumped.
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    The only other thing is to check the tweeter with your meter to make sure the tweeter isn't bad.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• TweetTweet
    Options
    Tweeter is ok, determined via swapping it with the other speaker cabinet.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Get rid of the fuse blocks entirely because they likely look like this.

3vyd2r3slnkw.jpg

Use denatured alcohol to soften the glue, then peel it off.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TweetTweet
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Get rid of the fuse blocks entirely because they likely look like this.

3vyd2r3slnkw.jpg

Use denatured alcohol to soften the glue, then peel it off.

Yikes. If mine looks like that, it might explain a few things. Can you explain how you bypassed the fuse mechanism?
  • TweetTweet
    Options
    By the way, was there some sort of technique to getting the fuse holder to come free? The alcohol got the glue off, but the metal part still doesn't want to come loose.
  • K_M
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you cut the 2 white wires going into the big glob of glue, and connect them together, solder and heat shrink over one wire before soldering, them heat shrink wrap to cover joint, you will eliminate the fuse totally.

Make sure you do not cut the 1 wire going to the other binding post, but that should be obvious.

There may be a small rivet holding fuse holder on, but if you bypass it, no real "Need" to have to actually remove it, unless you want to.
  • TweetTweet
    Options
    Thanks for the guidance, K_M! I found the issue!!! We were barking up the wrong tree, I am officially a bad wire manager. The bare transducer wire, which I didn't even notice, was contacting the 12uf capacitor. That was causing the short that killed everything. The tweeter works!
  • K_M
    Options
    TweetTweet wrote: »
    Thanks for the guidance, K_M! I found the issue!!! We were barking up the wrong tree, I am officially a bad wire manager. The bare transducer wire, which I didn't even notice, was contacting the 12uf capacitor. That was causing the short that killed everything. The tweeter works!

Good to hear!!!
    Wow, something that simple can cause a lot of grief!
  • F1nut
    Options
    I still suggest you bypass the fuses.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited August 2017
    Options
    1 amp FAST BLOW .... throw away the slow blow these are not Cerwin Vegas
    The wire beneath the fuse holder can get sticky green and that could be an issue check to rule it out.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    I just saw your original post. Nice work and all, but could you clarify something. Did you not use the original Polk big inductor and install a new one of your own?

All inductors were replaced. The original large inductor is still present because it is built into the mounting piece, but it is no longer part of the circuit.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • TweetTweet
    TweetTweet Posts: 24
    edited August 2017
    Options

All inductors were replaced. The original large inductor is still present because it is built into the mounting piece, but it is no longer part of the circuit.

Are you answering an unrelated question, or describing what I did? If the latter, in my case I never touched the stock inductor. The problem I had was that the stock inductor's wire, which is uninsulated, touched the leg of one of the new capacitors that I put in, causing a short.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    TweetTweet wrote: »

Are you answering an unrelated question, or describing what I did? If the latter, in my case I never touched the stock inductor. The problem I had was that the stock inductor's wire, which is uninsulated, touched the leg of one of the new capacitors that I put in, causing a short.

Neil was stating what his was not yours. KM asked.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited August 2017
    Options
    TBH I am a little lost to the status of the situation, but I want to be sure to mention, just in case you missed it. You will have continuity checking both sides of the fuse holder. The fuse is completing the circuit, just like the continuity meter is. The continuity meter is used to check the condition of the fuse, close or open (blown).

What F1nut showed in the picture could be the problem. The wires could be corroded. They can pass a continuity test sometimes, but in reality cannot handle any real current. The corroded wire is acting like a big resistor or once it sees higher current its resistance skyrockets, so no sound is heard from the tweeter.
    Post edited by pkquat on
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    In my case, I removed the fuse altogether and replaced it with a jumper. I'm confident enough in the quality of my amp that I'm not worried about the protection from the fuse.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • F1nut
    Options
    On my 7B's I completely removed everything to do with the fuse. I even replaced the binding post plates and binding posts with new ones.

President of Club Polk