PSW125 and PSW505

Options
Hi everyone,

So here is my situation hoping to find a quick, not too expensive fix to my issues.

Bought a PSW125 about 4 years ago, off of a friend, and it was working fine until last year. We bought a new house so it was sitting in the basement waiting for me to build the home theatre room. About a month ago, I finally finished my HT project and was ready to hook up the speakers and subs. I was planning to use a my PSW 125 and my PSW 505. Hook up the 505, works perfectly. Plug in the sub cable in the LFE on the 125, plug in the power cord in the port, then in the wall, flip the switch to the Auto position, the sub does a thump and the light in the back slowly fades off. Can't turn the sub back on since. So I said, the hell with that, i'm getting another PSW 505 and will look at the 125 later on. So here I am tonight, finally getting my PSW 505 in the mail, bought it used off a guy living about 8hrs away. Saw it play and worked fine before he shipped it out and by the way, it was in the original box with the original packaging and added protective material. So i'm all excited, I plug in my second 505, plug the sub cable in the LFE, power cord in the socket then in the wall outlet, flip the switch, same thing, a loud thump then the power light won't turn on again. Another clarification is that I used the same sub cable, power outlet than the 505'that was and still works.

So now my question is, what can possibly cause this?
Where do I need to look?

Obviously, I can't ask the wife to approve the purchase of a 4th sub so i'll be looking at repairing it.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Comments

• mark182005
    Options
    Also note that in both occasions, the sub cables were plugged into the receiver but the receiver was powered off to prevent any signal to be sent to the sub.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    From your description it sounds as though the AC fuse has blown in both sub's bass amplifiers. Polk places their AC fuses either on the inside of the amplifier's input plate or on the outside of the input plate near an "access door" where the AC power cord plugs in. To check the inside variety you'll have to unplug the AC power cord and take out the screws that go around the circumference of the amplifier's input plate. Then use a putty knife to carefully pry around the circumference of the plate and remove it from the cabinet. Once this is done you should look on the inside of the plate near where the power cord goes through the plate for the AC fuse. If the internal wire of the fuse is broken with no serious blackening then you can try replacing it with the same fuse value. Hopefully this is all you need. If you see that the inside of the fuse glass is heavily blackened then the amp has failed and there's no need to try a replacement fuse the amp needs serviced or replaced.
    If your subwoofer has a removable AC power cord once the cord is removed you should see a small door located near the receptacle that can be opened with a small screw driver. The same fuse evaluation can be used with this design as the previous, a simple fuse wire break and try replacing, if burnt no need to try. Information on amplifier service and replacements can be had via Polk's CS number: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1 first thing on Monday.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken