New Toy this week

Just pulled the trigger on the Yamaha A-S801 Integrated in black. I have been eyeing this one for a while as it seems to be getting a lot of great reviews.

This will be taking the place of Marantz pre and ATI amp combo that's currently paired to my 705s.

The DAC built in should be a nice upgrade from the nearly twenty year old one in the Marantz.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS801B/Yamaha-A-S801-Black.html?tp=34948&awkw=85756473385&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=53511786985&awdv=m&awug=9014946
Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Congrats! Hope you like.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Congratulations. Look forward to hearing how you like it compared to what it replaced.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Been hearing good things about this unit. Everything in a classic styled chassis. Congrats and keep us posted Big J. B)
  • First congrats.
    While I don't care for the sound of Yamaha one area I wish other in the audio industry would take note of is their approach to symmetry when laying out the internal components. SO DAMN clean! I briefly had a Yamaha Rx -777 and that really impressed me. Five out of five stars for this company taking pride of what goes inside.
    Once you get it please do take pictures of the inside:)

vsnwfnkumg7u.jpg

a9je7dhm4cps.jpg
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2017
    I have my fingers crossed hoping it will be a good matchup. The main reason for the change was for a cleaner look and I need a phono input.
    I sold my Emotiva xpa1's and Emotiva pre (which were awesome on the 705s) this past spring for a couple of different reasons. Primarily because of the space they consumed and I was looking for some quick cash to put towards another hobby.
    I had the Marantz pre and ATI collecting dust so I put them in place for the interim.
    The old Marantz I like, AV560, it's actually my second one as it's very inexpensive on the used market offers solid performance, has a built in 24/96 DAC and decent build quality, but no phono. The ATI is a fickle amp. On paper it's great, has great reviews, and its build quality is top notch. The clarity, midrange, and top-end are exquisite, not to mention the soundstage. For critical listening in a quiet room it's awesome, but it's major flaw is that it is too relaxed and does get my foot tapping. When I'm not right in the sweet spot and am cooking or entertaining I don't enjoy it.
    I want an amp like the Emotiva that makes the music enjoyable no matter if I hear every nuance and pinpoint imaging, it needs to get jiggy with it, but take much less space than the 85lb monos did. I am also thinking the relaxed/laid back sound of the lsim705s maybe the issue, but they are so damn pretty I am not ready to give up on them.

The Yamaha arrives today, fingers crossed.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Neat-o.

I - ahem - have... a... thing for Yamaha stereo equipment.
    Except (by and large) their loudspeakers. But that's a different subject entirely, isn't it?

:)
  • WTH...UPS stops outside the house, the guy goes in the back for several minutes, then leaves...no delivery :'(
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited August 2017
    It's here!! But now I must take my son to football practice :| must have been a small fence he tossed it over, the damage to the box was less than expected.
    9fvy1gewraj3.jpg
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Good luck, hope it is safe and sound.

Get it,,,,,sound?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    There is nothing like the anticipation of trying out new gear - take your time and savor the experience:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• stm74fj33or4.jpg

Play time
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Niiiiiiice!
    Looks so at home in there, too B)

You've had 9 minutes. So?!? How is it?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    ... and what was the first song you listened to on it?
  • msg wrote: »
    Probably Rick Astley again.

Yeah I don't know what that is.

First song was "Either Way" then "Death Row"

First impression- it's not doing anything wrong...that's a great start.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited August 2017
    The USB DAC in this this thing is unreal. WOW! Game Changer for me.
  • w96kq3k6ilma.jpg

Really been enjoying this amp. It's just the sound I've been looking for; very transparent, detailed and a tad rich on top, smooth mid range and adequate bass. For coming in at just under a grand, with an excellent DAC and and decent phono stage I think it's a great bargain. I think I'll be happy with it for a while.

It looks pretty sweet too imo.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Good feeling when you find what you've been looking for. I felt the way when I found my Anthem 225. It was a "that's it" moment.

That Yamaha is a nice kit.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That's purdy :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    They (Nippon Gakki, that is) did hit on a nice aesthetic, didn't they? :)
  • I kind of liked to have had the silver one, but the wife insisted I buy the black. She said the silver is too "old school". Like it's a bad thing. :o
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    "Like it's a bad thing..."

16563535215_8b032ed302_b.jpgDSC_0180 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

stm74fj33or4.jpg
    Grandpa!

;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    If I weren't such a cheapskate* I would buy me one of the new Yamaha integrated amps. It would be fun & informative to have one.

I would buy a silver one, I think.

edited August 2017
    Yeah I understand that. This was a difficult decision as there was a A-S1000 on the local Craigslist for only $600 at the time I pulled the trigger the 801. The 1000 seems to be a premium piece, but I really wanted a built in DAC and the reviews on the 801 were excellent. So far I am happy camper.

My only complaints would be the 801 doesn't have a preout and the indicator on the volume knob was impossible to see from the couch. A white crayon solved this however.
    0vwws8rho8yo.jpg