WTB: DNA-225

I have the itch to give one of these amps a try. Not 100% set on a 225, but I think it's where I would like to start. Also with the higher input impedeance it should mate well with the VTL 2.5.

Comments

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Not sure if you saw this one:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mccormack-dna-225-2017-08-07-amplifiers

I have no affiliation or have any idea if it is a good price.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I recently acquired one, and it is my new favorite amp - hands down.

A worthy quest indeed. Good luck with the hunt!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited August 2017
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Need to list associated equipment you will be running with it.

SA8004, BK ref50, BK 200.2. The VTL is a slight impedance mismatch, I think The DNA would mate well.

sgmsmg wrote: »
    Not sure if you saw this one:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mccormack-dna-225-2017-08-07-amplifiers

I have no affiliation or have any idea if it is a good price.

I did, thanks for the link though...not sure of a good street price either.
  • gmcman
    I have a bead on a DNA-1 and with this amp I would get the current gold revision performed with the upgraded transformer. Have been going back and forth over a DNA-225 and the DNA-1 for awhile, many topics debating these so not sure how a fresh Gold revision on a DNA-1 would compare to a stock 225.

• gmcman
    edited August 2017
    la2vegas wrote: »

Very nice.

Actually just a bit south in San Diego.

Listed as non working, we negotiated a lower amount.

Rear speaker terminal was broken. He actually drove it to SMC Audio for me.....very cool guy.

This is actually a bridged mono version but Steve said can easily be converted to stereo.

kbgyw8qr6u4e.jpg

• gmcman
    Nice score, let us know what you think about it once you get it serviced.

I will for sure.

I wasn't really looking for the DNA-1, but it all came together this afternoon rather abruptly.

After speaking with SMC it seems this amp when upgraded should work quite well. ....now the wait.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    gmcman wrote: »
    Nice score, let us know what you think about it once you get it serviced.

I will for sure.

I wasn't really looking for the DNA-1, but it all came together this afternoon rather abruptly.

After speaking with SMC it seems this amp when upgraded should work quite well. ....now the wait.

LOL....work quite well ? You'll keep that sucker for another 10-15 years. Might need a little break in after the upgrades but should be rock solid if SMC is doing the work. Nice score.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gmcman
    Thanks Tony.
    There have been a few suggestions here about trying the McCormack amps, you were prob one of them. Going to work out the details next week with SMC and go from there.

I won't have anything to compare it to DNA-wise, but the total end-cost will be much less than anticipated. The hurdle was finding one cheap enough to modify, so this one at $250 was a no-brainer for me.

May go a little above their gold revision depending on cost, shipping costs back and forth play into this so may as well get as much done as I can the first time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Sky's the limit do it ;)
  • gmcman
    Everything is set in motion, hopefully in about a month or so, It will be on its way back. The donor amp was a little rough on the inside, some mild surface rust but the case will be blasted and powder coated first.

I'll follow up when I take delivery of it....gonna be a long month.... :)