'Tempur-Pedic' alternatives?

I made the mistake of lying down on one of these beds recently, and immediately NEEDED it. Right up until I saw the price***ZOIKS*** :'(
Any more 'affordable' options out there?
(Specifically the head/ feet adjustable height option)
TIA
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2017
    I would look at Purple. They have the memory foam underlayer like the TP bed, but have a cool patented comfort grid on top that makes for a much cooler sleep system. They don't heat up like simple memory foam does and they are quite a bit less expensive. They do offer a powerbase option too, to control head and foot elevation with remote or phone apps.

If you haven't seen the "egg drop" test on these beds, you need to look it up. Pretty impressive.....

https://onpurple.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr9zJxsba1QIVQ2F-Ch2WKQw5EAAYAyAAEgJUR_D_BwE
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Lots of new choices out there. Still sleeping on the Vera Wang model. Some of these new mattress choices ship it to you and give you between 30-90 days to audition it with a money back guarantee with free shipping back to them. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited August 2017
    I've heard good things about Casper Mattresses. We have a Temperpedic. My wife is telling me now that she hates it after 4 years. Says its too hard. Wish she figured that out during the 100 day sleep guarantee. Ugh, paid like $4k..
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Honesty, a proper latex bed will impress you even more than Temperpedic (which breaks down after a few years and sleeps hot). Good latex will last 20+ years.
    Build your own latex. Layer a 6-8" base layer for support, then a couple of thinner layers of increasing softness. Lots of discussion on the web.

http://www.mattresses.net/sabigwidiyla.html
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I got an Heirloom, nicest bed I ever slept in.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Tried a temperpedic years ago.
    Both my wife and I thought it was hot and this was during the winter.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    My wife and I are five years in on our temperpedic cloud. Still LOVING it. We both travel for work, including some pretty high end hotels. Have also stayed at numerous vacation rental homes over the years. We literally cannot wait to get get home to sleep in our bed. Best $2500 we have ever spent!

We saved money by not buying the box spring and just using a platform bed with extra slats. seriously. Worth it if you can afford it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    billbillw wrote: »
    Honesty, a proper latex bed will impress you even more than Temperpedic (which breaks down after a few years and sleeps hot). Good latex will last 20+ years.
    Build your own latex. Layer a 6-8" base layer for support, then a couple of thinner layers of increasing softness. Lots of discussion on the web.

I have a friend who bought latex foam swears its the last bed they will ever buy.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »

I have a friend who bought latex foam swears its the last bed they will ever buy.

I bought a Stearns and Foster about 5 years ago. It was a "luxury firm". It has lost much of its support already due to the memory foam layers breaking down. I will probably need to replace it soon. My next bed will be latex, I've already decided.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    The Purple commercials are funny, but their beds may not be your best bet even for the dollar. I highly recommend you check out the Tuft & Needle, I did lots of research before getting ours and settled on that and am very pleased.

https://www.tuftandneedle.com
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I actually have a mattress from Purple. No power options or anything but it's been pretty stellar so far. Only had it since about February and I needed to get used to it at first but after about a week and a half, I was fine with it. I'm told I snore less, I sleep better on it and I don't wake up and struggle to get out of bed because I'm sore from sleeping.

Also, I checked out the Tuft and Needle and the Casper. I found the Casper to be pretty much like a Tempurpedic which I didn't want and while the Tuft and Needle was nice I got the feeling it was going to wear out pretty quick with it's tufted top. The Purple is a solid mattress, though. No need for firmness choices because the grid supports you no matter your body type. I will recommend getting the mattress protector, though. The quilted cover on the Purple will stain easy and feels like it wouldn't wear well. Besides that, the grid can be a bit too airy and cool but the protector will cut down on the air movement enough that you won't be sweating or uncomfortable but you won't be freezing either.

Also, they keep putting them on sale and I paid $900 for mine and it came with a chair cushion made from the same purple grid stuff. I sit on it every day, all day and it's been awesome as well. I also had a deal for free shipping because I signed up for info since when I went to order, they were out of stock. So at $900-$1000 for a queen sized mattress, it's a deal, I think. None of the other direct sales mattress companies could come close to that and I didn't think they had anything over the Purple that justified the price difference.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I have a KingsDown mattress but they hardly fall in to more affordable mattress category. but they are worth every penny.

I travel alot and it gives true meaning to the phrase "nice to be home and sleep in your own bed"

http://kingsdown.com/collection/sleep-to-live
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited August 2017
    Interesting thread. My only concern w tempurpedic is warmth. I know they have certain models which are less prone to this.

When shopping for mattresses we almost bought tempurpedic.

However we bought Beautyrest Black and have been very happy with them. We ended up buying a Black for each bedroom.

We cross shopped Stearns and Foster and Kings and Tempurpedic.

Black is very comfortable and has great support so I never wake with backache. It runs cool as well.

Probably one of the best commercial non-handmade mattresses around.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I'll be following this thread closely... We're likely going to need a new mattress soon. Ours is 15 years old and we're tired (pun intended) of the backaches and poor night's sleep...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Just to clarify, the Tuft & Needle I have does not have a tufted or plush top, the top layer is 3" of polyfoam and I believe that's still the case on what they sell now. I suggest anyone interested do a lot of research on purple vs tuft and needle, there are reasons I chose what I did but not saying that will apply to everyone.

Also, tuft and needle is cheaper at any given mattress size the last time I checked, wanna say I paid $1000 for a king. If you prefer a softer mattress this is not for you though.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    A hammock.....Sorry man,I just couldn't help myself!!...LOL!..
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Just to clarify, the Tuft & Needle I have does not have a tufted or plush top, the top layer is 3" of polyfoam and I believe that's still the case on what they sell now. I suggest anyone interested do a lot of research on purple vs tuft and needle, there are reasons I chose what I did but not saying that will apply to everyone.

Also, tuft and needle is cheaper at any given mattress size the last time I checked, wanna say I paid $1000 for a king. If you prefer a softer mattress this is not for you though.

I would also put the Ghost and Leesa bed into the mix. The Ghost is a little firmer and about an inch thicker. With the thinner mattresses of all mentioned, one also has to consider their weight. Your weight also plays a role.

Overall, always stay away from memory foam top layers. I don't care what marketing states about space aged materials off-setting the heat retention. Thanks to memory foam, latex came about and is far superior not only in comfort but longevity.

Last thing. It is recommended to have slats or a flat surface for these mattresses, no box spring.

Cheers.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Thanks for all the feedback folks.
    I didn't realize there were that many options :o
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I have also heard people refer a lot to http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

I have to say that Tempurpedic gets a bad rap for sleeping hot, but I am a human heater and live in a very warm and humid climate, and I would rather sleep on it than any other mattress I have ever been on...

I bought the 8 inch twin version of this for my daughter, and man for the price (I would get 12 four myself) you can't beat it. Great way to try our memory foam. Even if it only lasts a few years you get your money's worht: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7EPFT4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Well my Heirloom is "Organic"
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    I'm going to be another one to recommend Tuft and Needle mattresses. We recently bought a king and a queen for our house in Colorado. They are the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on. They come with a 100 night trial and no hassle returns if you don't like it. Also have a 10 year warranty. My wife and I both have a lot of back pain when sleeping on our mattress here in PA. Within a few days of sleeping on the Tuft and Needle mattress in Colorado the aches are gone! No regrets at all on the purchase of these mattresses.

https://www.tuftandneedle.com
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    After ding some research I went with this mattress from Amerisleep. Great customer service and I love the mattress.

https://www.amerisleep.com/as4.html
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Buying beds online scares me.....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Buying beds online scares me.....

No need to be scared. Tuft and Needle, as well as many of the others, give you 100 nights to try it out. If you aren't happy for any reason, just call them and they will arrange for it to be picked up and donated to a charity. And they will refund all your money. Think about it. No matter how good a mattress feels when you lay on it in a mattress store, you really don't know how much you will like it until you have lived with it for a month or two or three. You can't return a store bought mattress after that amount of time, but Tuft and Needle....no problem.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • I guess that a test drive of every brand that has free 90-100 day trials would get you by for a couple years without being out any money if you don't mind dealing with keeping track of the tests. Make sure that you use a low interest card.

I am stating this in jest, but they all seem to offer it.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • halen
    Dennis,

How are you liking your purple? Do you have to rotate it?
  • halen
    edited August 2017
    When I sold my house and moved into apartment for three months, I bought Tuft and Needle. Before I sold my house I had the Ghost. Ghost is firmer than T&N, especially along the edge. I like a firmer feel. I no longer have those beds and back to my Stern's and Foster, which I hate. But am full on with Purple to try.

I am getting the ghost again for my guest bedrooms but for mine. I would like to know more about the purple and that powder issue.

Thanks.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I had 100 nights with my Amerisleep, but, didn't want to return it.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I had to upgrade my Denver mattress which was over 12 years old. just ordered a Tuff & Needle. should be here next week.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD