Get robocalls for a "free cruise"? Guess what?

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
They are losing a class action suit against them. Read the story, follow the link and check if your number is in the list. If it is, file a claim and get yours! Screw these doo doo heads to the wall.

http://6abc.com/finance/free-cruise-robocall-class-action-lawsuit-settled-claims-available/2317637/?sf107110451=1
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Interesting.
    I'd look up my number if it were in a list, but not fond of the idea of punching into a field on some 'attorney' website?
    I disabled signatures.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    Options
    I'm on the list and filed a claim. I've opted in to other class-action lawsuits in the past and have always collected with payouts never more than 100 bucks but what the heck, it's money.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Jstas
    Options
    It's not the payout that's important.

It's the terms of the settlement and size of the class for the class action that matters. It sets a precedent for future prosecution of people like this and it's honestly the only way to get things changed.

Law obviously don't stop them unless they are held accountable. This is how you hold them accountable.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Of all the free cruise robo calls I received, I am not on the list.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • quickr1
    quickr1 Posts: 414
    Options
    Heard about this yesterday. Wife checked and I'm on the list.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Not on the list - but I agree - its about accountability.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    You guys must click the Unsubscribe link in every spam message you receive.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    as was my mother signed her up. She received 6-10 of them over a period of a couple of weeks. I see it is capped at 3 so WTH she can use it and they can deal with it.

thanks John
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Are these those stupid calls that started with the fog horn. Then you would get the opening line "This is your Captain Speaking"......lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Are these those stupid calls that started with the fog horn. Then you would get the opening line "This is your Captain Speaking"......lol.

LOL...I know exactly what ones you are talking about.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    I am constantly getting the calls for an extended vehicle warranty.... I tell them the vehicle is in the FBI evidence lock-up, and I will probably never see it again.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I wasn't but my wife was... go figure.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2017
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I am constantly getting the calls for an extended vehicle warranty.... I tell them the vehicle is in the FBI evidence lock-up, and I will probably never see it again.

I get those as well. I let them go through the whole speel. Then they ask all these questions. Yes its only 7 yrs old, yes it has 350,000mi on it, i drive it to Mexico and Panama wait what do you mean i don't qualify you just said i was pre qualified already..... :p
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    NOW if someone just would go after card services!!!!
    I hated those calls.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Whatup Keith? How's the new job and homestead?....sorry for the derail

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options

To funny me and the wife used to get those calls awoooo (foghorn sound) this is your captain speaking used to anoy the heck out of me but now that you mention it those calls were pretty funny.

The ones we get bombarded with now are the stupid your Auto warranty has expired it's like hey its a fairly new vehicle how can the warranty already be expired, or the hey were in your area and would like to offer you a free lawn analysis, hope they all get class action lawsuits.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Those fake Microsoft support calls were bad too.
    One of my co-workers strung them out on a call for an hour.
    Just act stupid and gullible, and they will hang on.
    He said they kept bringing in guys with better English skills if
    they thought they had a sap. The whole deal was about getting
    remote access to your pc and then hacking your accounts.
    Mickeysoft never calls anybody. Even on paid support.
    Who would fall for that?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Options
    I still get the fake Microsoft support calls.

They ask me for stuff for my IP address because it's "sending out viruses". So I ask them why they don't already have my IP address if it's sending out viruses? Some will argue with me like I'm an idiot. Most hang up.

Sometimes I try to get them to give me their IP address. They will laugh and say no, they can't do that. Then I ask them why is it ok for me to give them mine?

It's really funny when I do something like call them a crook and they get seething mad and try to insult me. They fail miserably at it and my laughter on the phone only angers them more.

I did have one guy who kept calling me back after I hung up on him. I got fed up with it and called him "Sandeep" like you call someone "pal" or "buddy" and he freaked out and started asking me over and over how I knew his name. I didn't tell him it was a lucky guess but I started calling him Mr. Patel (I was saying Pay Tell) and he corrected me and said Puh Tehl. So I got that right too and he was so freaked out he started calling me Sir and begged me not to destroy his computer, it was his family's only one and his children needed it for school. He only used it for work in the evenings.

Talk about surreal.

• pitdogg2
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Those fake Microsoft support calls were bad too.
    Mickeysoft never calls anybody. Even on paid support.
    Who would fall for that?
    A lot of people. My mom for one, the guy told her MS key was expired and he needed to remote in to fix her computer and install a new key so her operating system would continue to function. Lucky i was there she just about did it. At 72 and not computer savy (not that i am but know enough to know BS) ...
    I listened to the guy asked questions and could tell this was somewhere in India and there were lots of people in the room doing the same thing.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I claimed twice, my cell number and my land line number.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2beme
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I told the one fake mickeysoft guy, "does your mother know you're a criminal?"
    He got really angry. The card services guys, they were really a problem for a while.
    They'd spoof local telephone numbers of real people. Poor guys would have to change their numbers due to people calling back the spoofed number and yelling.
    That's what really pissed me off. Some poor guy getting heat because these guys
    were displaying their number. I'd like to find their call center and burn it down.
  • Jstas
    Options
    I've been called back by people because my number was spoofed.

One guy kept calling me a liar and that he was going to come kick my butt.

So I found him via the caller ID info through Google while he was screaming at me (I had hung up previously and he called back to scream more) and stopped him mid sentence and said "Hey, Joe Blow at 123 Any Street, Anywhere, NJ? Yeah, turns out you're only like 15 minutes from me. Given the traffic this time of day, I can be there in 20 minutes, give or take, so you can "kick my ****", does that work for you?"

He backed off immediately and said that I was BS'ing him and I could get that info anywhere. So then I told him his wife's name, his email address, her email address and what dorm and room number his daughter was staying in at Hofstra University.

I could hear the bricks he was pooing over the phone. When he finally shut up I told him "Now you're going to listen to me and good. I'm not the person calling you with scams. They just happened to be spoofing my phone number today with the robocallers which, consequently, are illegal both at the NJ level and the Federal level. I am sorry you have to deal with it but I'm in the same boat as you, further at that because I have to deal with people like you harassing me now. So I appreciate that you are pissed off and I understand where you are coming from. I feel your pain. I hope you understand now, though, that I am not the appropriate target for your anger and I am not the kind of person you want to piss off. So I'm going to bid you good day and I am going to hang up now. If I see your number come up on caller ID or get a message from you again after this point, I will be showing up at your house and I will have the police with me. Am I clear? I will call my phone company and ask what I can do about this, likely nothing but I will ask and that is the best I can do. So you have yourself a good day now."

And I hung up. Never heard from Joe Blow again.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have noticed that lately, we sometimes get calls on our cell phones with exchanges and prefix numbers that match ours - like (631-374-XXXX), they must want you to think "Oh, it must be someone local, or someone we know", but most times it's just a sales call from God-knows-where. And most times it's for vehicle warranty stuff, or free estimates for vinyl siding. So much for the DO NOT CALL list...

BTW, we have 2 cell numbers that showed up on that list, so I filed 2 claims electronically. I guess we'll see what happens?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    none of our phones are on the list
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Someone must be reading this thread, I just got a text from Mark Stevens from Progressive Funding SBA telling me I have a $250K unsecured line of credit available!!
    Gotta run so I can call him before he changes his mind :s

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/