Club Polk Perception

Options

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    You, and anyone else for that matter, are welcome to drop by and give my rig a listen.

Will complimentary snacks and beverages be provided ? :)

Sal Palooza
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Good save Team Polk.
    Thread took a hard left turn on that one..... :D
    Post edited by mrbiron on
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Yep2 wrote: »
    I was 15 yrs old in 1979.

Jeez you're old! I was only 14!

I was 14 as well. God those were good times

Yep2 wrote: »
    I was 15 yrs old in 1979.

Jeez you're old! I was only 14!

I was only a twinkle....

Old farts :wink:

Yes dan you were still a stain your parents were still practicing to stir up soup.
    We were out breaking windows and stealing cars
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    You, and anyone else for that matter, are welcome to drop by and give my rig a listen.

Will complimentary snacks and beverages be provided ? :)

Bring your own you cheapskate.
    One would hope you know proper etiquette........ like a sack full of beer or drinks geeesh :p
    Golly gee the man is inviting you over
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    FYI, the way we do snacks up here in the north country: hunt your own.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    /quote]

Going on 28 years ago?
    I grew up in Ocean Beach San Diego.
    Left there in '79.
    Been back multiple times & loved it, but had difficultly finding my way around in the modern day San Diego... ;) [/quote]

I was living in La Jolla in 1978, just a skip and jump from you, and didn't even know it. I was 22 at the time you pup!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2017
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    /quote]

Going on 28 years ago?
    I grew up in Ocean Beach San Diego.
    Left there in '79.
    Been back multiple times & loved it, but had difficultly finding my way around in the modern day San Diego... ;)

I was living in La Jolla in 1978, just a skip and jump from you, and didn't even know it. I was 22 at the time you pup![/quote]

Talk about pups!

I was 33 at the time (1979) and enjoying my AR3a speakers, AR turntable and a Sony integrated amp.

It was my first "dive" into the "rabbit hole" of stereo.

Ah, I remember it well!

Well, honestly, not so well. I can't even remember the model of the Sony integrated. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,267
    edited August 2017
    Options
    In 1979, I had been out of the Navy for a year. I had signed up for the "Luxury Tour Package" but you know what ? The recruiter lied ! A little light on the "Luxury", heavy on the "Tour".
    Bring your own you cheapskate.
    Well, you kinda got a point there.
    One would hope you know proper etiquette
    Oh, I see now. There's already going to be restrictions !. What are we in, Canada ?
    ........ like a sack full of beer or drinks geeesh :p
    That sounds reasonable.
    .... wait a second. Does this 'etiquette' thing require sharing ?

I dunno, this sounds like it might turn out like the " F1 $20 Tour Extravaganza":
    10 minutes, no complimentary snacks or beverages, don't touch the equipment, and for gawd's sake don't even think about sitting on the couch (much less put your feet up on the coffee table) !

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited August 2017
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote:
    Golly gee

Your obscene language offends me.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote:
    Golly gee

Don't blow an o-ring because your gif got booted :D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote:
    Golly gee

Nucking biss off you farging icehole....
    Better >:)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    TForan wrote: »
    I currently do not sell Class D amps. I have looked at a few options like Devialet and Mola Mola. I won't carry them until I hear them though.

I am not a fan of Class D full range, at least what I have heard. The two I mentioned get great reviews but are well above where most in this community would consider 'reasonably priced'. Ears I trust tell me there are a few exceptions to the rule so I am seeking out those potential exceptions.

Every class D I've heard thus far has had a very artificial sound to it. I told you I don't expect them to sound good with those amps and I stand by that. I know many are getting good results and perhaps the DSP is helping tremendously in that. I would be in the camp of getting the LS50 over the LS50 wireless for the built-in amps alone. I'm still not sold on the LS50 wireless being perfectly optimized with class D technology in it, but there are a multitude of other reasons why that approach was taken.

Truth be told, with solid state I've been very partial to A/B designs, even over the class A designs I've heard. The class A amps I have heard have all had pinpoint imaging with no true body. The class D I've heard have artificial midbass and felt unnaturally controlled if that makes sense. There was no smoothness to the transitions and that weirds me out. Every amp is different, but these are the rules more than the exceptions that I've come across so far in my journey.

So, you've heard them ? Class D with the KEFs is for the bass only. Mid and tweeter is class A/B. Everyone that I have talked to or reviews that I've read say the wireless is superior to the passive ones. It's not for hobbyist who wants to constantly fiddle and swap out ICs and components.

The A/B is used for the tweeter only. Class d powers the woofer which is where I have issues. That covers 90% of the sound and is not just limited to bass.

It is a lifestyle product and for that it is great. Ernie has had great success with his in a room he couldn't beat and in glad it worked out for him. There is a place in the market for that product but it isn't in line with my goals or approach.

Lifestyle? Don't be such a snob. You're too young for that. Try listening to them with an open mind and then judge.

Lifestyle does not denote low quality. I'm sorry if that has a negative connotation but in my mind it does not. The iFi Stereo 50 you got from me is also a lifestyle product. It is a stellar product but a lifestyle product nonetheless. The Wilson Duette is another lifestyle product designed for abnormal listening environments. That's a $20k product.

The Ls 50 is designed for a lifestyle purpose. It is made to fit in tough spaces and take up a minimal amount of space. What I said means nothing more, nothing less.

Wow, what was that all about? :confused:
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I currently do not sell Class D amps. I have looked at a few options like Devialet and Mola Mola. I won't carry them until I hear them though.

I am not a fan of Class D full range, at least what I have heard. The two I mentioned get great reviews but are well above where most in this community would consider 'reasonably priced'. Ears I trust tell me there are a few exceptions to the rule so I am seeking out those potential exceptions.

Every class D I've heard thus far has had a very artificial sound to it. I told you I don't expect them to sound good with those amps and I stand by that. I know many are getting good results and perhaps the DSP is helping tremendously in that. I would be in the camp of getting the LS50 over the LS50 wireless for the built-in amps alone. I'm still not sold on the LS50 wireless being perfectly optimized with class D technology in it, but there are a multitude of other reasons why that approach was taken.

Truth be told, with solid state I've been very partial to A/B designs, even over the class A designs I've heard. The class A amps I have heard have all had pinpoint imaging with no true body. The class D I've heard have artificial midbass and felt unnaturally controlled if that makes sense. There was no smoothness to the transitions and that weirds me out. Every amp is different, but these are the rules more than the exceptions that I've come across so far in my journey.

So, you've heard them ? Class D with the KEFs is for the bass only. Mid and tweeter is class A/B. Everyone that I have talked to or reviews that I've read say the wireless is superior to the passive ones. It's not for hobbyist who wants to constantly fiddle and swap out ICs and components.

The A/B is used for the tweeter only. Class d powers the woofer which is where I have issues. That covers 90% of the sound and is not just limited to bass.

It is a lifestyle product and for that it is great. Ernie has had great success with his in a room he couldn't beat and in glad it worked out for him. There is a place in the market for that product but it isn't in line with my goals or approach.

Lifestyle? Don't be such a snob. You're too young for that. Try listening to them with an open mind and then judge.

Lifestyle does not denote low quality. I'm sorry if that has a negative connotation but in my mind it does not. The iFi Stereo 50 you got from me is also a lifestyle product. It is a stellar product but a lifestyle product nonetheless. The Wilson Duette is another lifestyle product designed for abnormal listening environments. That's a $20k product.

The Ls 50 is designed for a lifestyle purpose. It is made to fit in tough spaces and take up a minimal amount of space. What I said means nothing more, nothing less.

Sure it does. All I'm saying is listen first , judge later. You mean the defective Stereo 50 you sold me with bad tubes and I had to send back to the factory on my dime ? Or the Dayens amp that crapped out after a day or the Parasound INT , that Parasound won't warranty because it was sold out of state against their rules ?

Wow, what was that all about? :confused:

Deleted user? Who was thar??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Tforan is the deleted user.

Dunno if he/she was naughty, got a talkin' to and mouthed off the wrong way or it was a rage quit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    He was a bit of a constant contrarian. Glad he's gone, didn't contribute much anyway.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Strange days,,,,
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited August 2017
    Options
    We all go back and forth, heatedly sometimes. It's the intent and content of the post. One can vehemently disagree but not resort to being passive/aggressive just because one can. Once you stop making any kind of contribution, it's time to go, but that's up to the mods.

H9

P.s. Anyway, not here to pile on but that's my take on it.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    He was a bit of a constant contrarian. Glad he's gone, didn't contribute much anyway.

H9

Well he did know it all....
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    We all go back and forth, heatedly sometimes. It's the intent and content of the post. One can vehemently disagree but not resort to being passive/aggressive just because one can. Once you stop making any kind of contribution, it's time to go, but that's up to the mods.

H9

I haven't made an audio related post on here in years! Still around, though...

What gives?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

H9

What gives?
    None of our gear works without the lightman bringing us the juice. You contribute plenty my friend.

No go climb a pole and make yourself useful...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

H9

What gives?
    None of our gear works without the lightman bringing us the juice. You contribute plenty my friend.

No go climb a pole and make yourself useful...

'K....
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    So...who left?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    So...who left?

Yo momma
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • deronb1
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    So...who left?

Yo momma

Nice!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Was he the one saying us old dudes couldn't hear power cord improvements?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • deronb1
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

I just listened to Rush: Power Windows, and I cant hear ****.

• halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Hope he comes back. No idea what he said previously. This is a nice place. I still remember being trigger and keyboard Kamikaze when I first joined.

Cheers
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I!

Fast driver? :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a