Hit the 1000 Mark Last Night!! (CD's Ripped to my external HD)

Options

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Johnny, good for you man, 2500 is crazy!
    I'm one of those late to the party digital music types too. Been meaning to do it for years. Was supposed to be ripping all Winter long myself. I'm intrigued by the Cocktail Audio X40 CD Music Server/CD Ripper/Network Streamer but its $2500!
    http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x40.php
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=COX40

Since that is not going to happen anytime soon, I need to get my PC situation sorted out. Got some old machines that need some upgrades...and maybe a replacement.

I took a peep at the Cocktail unit, but nothing too intriguing about the ripping feature on that one to me. Boasts of ripping a 60 minute CD in less than 10 minutes?? With my Dell laptop I am doing most cd's in 2-4 minutes. The Cocktail still looks like a nice one. Again, Cambridge is to release a Whama Jamma Streamer soon, at the $2000.00 point that will probably topple em all!

My music library is almost done (to my satisfaction) and while some music CD's are still finding their way onto the External HD, the main focus now is "Old Time Radio" all walks! How fun these past few nights have been with my wife and 12 (almost 13) year listening to episodes of "The Shadow" and those sets are often a piece of work to properly add to your playlist (if you want the titles and artist.dates accurate) typing all that info in takes even more time. Worth it if you want to see what the tracks are!! lol Some of these box sets are 10-20-and 30 cd sets, so time consuming for sure. When I transfer all this work onto yet another hard drive (for BU reasons) I will be done this time with the crazy ripping. Sure...I may add one cd here and there, but no more crazy sessions.Still on track for month end!! Probably going to end up with close to or slightly over 5000 cd's! I wont live to hear it all! lol
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Looking back,,,what a hoot......with a few changes and lots of time the ol NAS is proudly holding 16K albums + and no idea of disk count with tons of box sets included in that number, but one thing for sure, I have no need or desire for any radio service in my life. Still growing the library but slowing as to add new releases and rarities, which is a new focus. Them rare cd's get $$crazy$$. But for the most part, name, I got it. If not, I'm getting it!! :)
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Congrats.

What I got out of it is I've been talking about doing this for 3 years and
    have not made the move. I DO use iTunes on my MAC of course.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,445
    Options
    Maaan, once you get started, you'll be hooked. I don't know what it is that makes this so fun addicting, but I can recall stacks of discs late at night, and, just like some listening sessions - "Okay, just one more..."
    I disabled signatures.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I'd like to say a few more things but I'm running late for my RA meeting tonight. :p
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    I don't think ripping CDs to NAS is time consuming nor difficult.

I use dbPoweramp. FLAC rip takes 3-4 minutes and that is with a secure rip. Artwork, metadata, etc added automatically. It is saved to a 2TB drive on my PC. dBpoweramp automatically creates Artist/album subfolders if they don't already exist.

Then I use software called Freefilesync to update the NAS. Depending on how many albums I sync at a time, it can take 30 seconds to 10 minutes (if I'm updating 10+ albums). It is pretty automated once you setup everything.

I haven't counted how many rips I have, but lets just say it is over 1TB in size.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »

I use dbPoweramp. FLAC rip takes 3-4 minutes and that is with a secure rip. Artwork, metadata, etc added automatically. It is saved to a 2TB drive on my PC. dBpoweramp automatically creates Artist/album subfolders if they don't already exist.

Then I use software called Freefilesync to update the NAS. Depending on how many albums I sync at a time, it can take 30 seconds to 10 minutes (if I'm updating 10+ albums). It is pretty automated once you setup everything.

I haven't counted how many rips I have, but lets just say it is over 1TB in size.

Oh it is time consuming no matter what program you use. 1TB may have 2500 albums with artwork (depending too at what levels you are ripping in). I love EZ CD Audio converter and have tried a lot of others, but that's all in what works for ya. When you grow your library to more than 2TB you will find external HD's are not the way to do it because external HD's will not display artwork on either of my systems, Onkyo or Cambridge, so NAS was my only option. With 2 10 TB hard drives (mirroring each other) is MAX for the NAS I own and when full will have over 20K albums at which point I am done........well at least that is the plan I laid out in the last Rippers Anonymous meeting that I attended.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited August 2017
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »

Oh it is time consuming no matter what program you use. 1TB may have 2500 albums with artwork (depending too at what levels you are ripping in). I love EZ CD Audio converter and have tried a lot of others, but that's all in what works for ya. When you grow your library to more than 2TB you will find external HD's are not the way to do it because external HD's will not display artwork on either of my systems, Onkyo or Cambridge, so NAS was my only option. With 2 10 TB hard drives (mirroring each other) is MAX for the NAS I own and when full will have over 20K albums at which point I am done........well at least that is the plan I laid out in the last Rippers Anonymous meeting that I attended.

Well, time consuming is relative I guess. If you try to do 50 CDs in a sitting, maybe. If I can rip 5 or 6 CDs at a time, mostly in the background, while I'm checking email or catching up on various forums, then it is not time lost. The file sync can be unattended.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    The thread is more than 5 years old and now with over 30k albums in my digital library ya'd think I'd be done? Nope..it never ends and the hobby is very rewarding. Just thought to dig this old thread up and share the volume that has taken me over 5 years to put together. Thanks to those that helped along the way buying and selling CDs great advice and amazing support. God Bless and 2020 will be a hoot.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I scratched my head when i first saw this, knowing you are wayyyy past that...lol.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    I scratched my head when i first saw this, knowing you are wayyyy past that...lol.

😂Could've started a new thread but adding to this one seemed like the way to go. It was cool rereading and seeing the years go by in a flash like they do. No regrets on any of the steps I've taken with the hobby and have it now down to a great science. A lot of help from friends in the music business sure hasn't hurt in adding so many of the new upcoming artists I've latched onto . 🎶 🎶😀
    I still go back to the old school soul daily as that's where my heart lives.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    The thread is more than 5 years old and now with over 30k albums in my digital library ya'd think I'd be done? Nope..it never ends and the hobby is very rewarding. Just thought to dig this old thread up and share the volume that has taken me over 5 years to put together. Thanks to those that helped along the way buying and selling CDs great advice and amazing support. God Bless and 2020 will be a hoot.

You are certifiable Brother.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I need to get off my duff and take ya up on your offer!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    edited December 2019
    Options
    As a point of reference for me, how many minutes or hours or days of
    music do you have? ;) Oh you did answer that, 20k! :D
    Imagine owning 20K LPs in 1978...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    As a point of reference for me, how many minutes or hours or days of
    music do you have? ;) Oh you did answer that, 20k! :D
    Imagine owning 20K LPs in 1978...

Actually I have over 30k albums now but looks like you are taking a break from polk in order to have a piece of 🎂?? Pie?? 🍞 or 🍖?? 😂😂 start your ripping engine!!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    That must be one heck of a collection! Congrats!!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    That must be one heck of a collection! Congrats!!!

Thanks brother. I will look back again next year on this thread to remind me of the growth and of course my insanity. It is a sickness😂😂🎩
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Very interesting read! Thanks
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    THJ, that is one heck of a collection. Don’t think I would need any subscription if I had all that. Congrats brother.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    THJ, that is one heck of a collection. Don’t think I would need any subscription if I had all that. Congrats brother.

Exactly the reason I continue to grow the library.. Now that I have my formula in place there is no streaming service that can satisfy me. Having a serious network player doesn't hurt either 😉
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Congrats brother, and thanks for bumping this thread. Only 5 years ago you hit the 1000 mark! And now, wow! :smile:

So what device are you using to play these files? IIRC you're rocking an Auralic Vega?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Congrats brother, and thanks for bumping this thread. Only 5 years ago you hit the 1000 mark! And now, wow! :smile:

So what device are you using to play these files? IIRC you're rocking an Auralic Vega?

Those 5 years flew by brother. (Don't they all?) And what a treat to learn of so much more music. I'm not the music snob I thought I was as I am appreciating so much more music than I ever imagined I would or could in this case.
    The library goes wherever I go , thanks to the amazing app from Synology and blue fangs😂
    But there's no place for listening like home on the Vega G2. Took me a few players and many demos of others to find the Auralic Vega G2 was the one for me and after 6mos of non stop enjoyment with that baby it is so worth it. Still glad I got a taste of the other players and that taste set me on the journey to my current player. The journey is at a happy end. Now just growing the library and listening to new music daily. Happy New Year & let's keep the music going . 🎶 🎶🎩
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    The madness continues and while I do my best to stay current when adding cd's (albums) I have stayed extra busy completing individual artists and bands collections. 33k albums later with no end in sight sure makes for a fun hobby. If I wouldn't have A-B'd my rips, which are all being done in 24bit 192k Hz to that of Tidal and Qobuz, I might not be keeping the hobby alive.
    This was apparent with my 851N too, but a dead slap in the face with the Vega G2. Once I heard the difference I knew ripping was always going to be what I do. Tonight I celebrate the 33k album mark (ahead of where I thought I'd be) and with a couple of huge batches from the Stax label added I am taking a pause to breathe. & listen. . I'll check back on this thread next year to update progress and promise I won't stop this madness. Hope my fellow music lovin' rippers are too enjoying the hobby and please remember, great gear is great but it's all about the 🎶 music. That and "If it's not Fun, it's Not worth it!

🎩THJ🎩
  • joecoulson
    Options
    One helluva feat my brother. Dayum.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    that Auralic Vega G1 (baby brother) is at the top of the get list for me.
    You are a wild man THJ!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    The madness continues and while I do my best to stay current when adding cd's (albums) I have stayed extra busy completing individual artists and bands collections. 33k albums later with no end in sight sure makes for a fun hobby. If I wouldn't have A-B'd my rips, which are all being done in 24bit 192k Hz to that of Tidal and Qobuz, I might not be keeping the hobby alive.
    This was apparent with my 851N too, but a dead slap in the face with the Vega G2. Once I heard the difference I knew ripping was always going to be what I do. Tonight I celebrate the 33k album mark (ahead of where I thought I'd be) and with a couple of huge batches from the Stax label added I am taking a pause to breathe. & listen. . I'll check back on this thread next year to update progress and promise I won't stop this madness. Hope my fellow music lovin' rippers are too enjoying the hobby and please remember, great gear is great but it's all about the 🎶 music. That and "If it's not Fun, it's Not worth it!

🎩THJ🎩

You are certifiable Brother :)
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • joecoulson
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    that Auralic Vega G1 (baby brother) is at the top of the get list for me.
    You are a wild man THJ!

Not sure about baby bro, more like smaller twin IMO
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Congratulations. Between ripped CDs, and downloads from HD Tracks, I have more music than I can ever listen to. I can't image 33,000 albums. That is amazing.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,077
    Options
    @tophatjohnny, you may want to plan ahead and join up with these folks to protect all of those albums.

Is moon best place for data backups?
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/is-moon-best-place-for-data-backups/article1164099/
    Lunar Library: This non-profit organization wants to send Wikipedia archives to the moon
    https://qrius.com/lunar-library-this-non-profit-organisation-wants-to-send-wikipedia-archives-to-the-moon/

(I noticed the second group doesn't know how to spell - "organisation")
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA