Why aren't my woofers working?

Options
On my LS90's, the right speaker is working perfectly.

On the left speaker only the tweeter is working. No sound from the 4 other drivers.

I checked the cable connection and the jumpers and everything seems fine.

The binding posts seem ever so slightly loose. Could the internal wiring somehow have come loose??
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sure.

Time to open them up for a look see.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can try switching the left and right cables and see if it follows.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Answers

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Sounds good. I'll crack em open when I get the chance. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something stupid that I overlooked
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Woh. Hope it's something simple.
    Kinda funny how it's become a bit alarming to me whenever stuff like this happens. In the grand scheme, it's 'just a stereo', right? Except, no, it isn't just a stereo.

Curious to hear what you find.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Wiggled the binding post and the woofers would cut in and out.

Unscrewed them and pulled out, but the xovers were wired so tight that I couldn't really get a good look because I couldn't pull them out very far.

Put them back in and it's working for now. Not sure if the crappy jumpers weren't connecting well enough? Or something really is loose in the xover??

of2eyjv6m7a7.jpg
    rncj33f46ugi.jpg
    29vdu69mrrme.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Well i see clarity cap and mundorf. Could be cold solder joint. Who did xo? Clean off that brass strap real good then see if it does it again.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    My policy is its fixed until it happens again, turn it up and grab a beer.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    My policy is its fixed until it happens again, turn it up and grab a beer.

Agree
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Yea, that's the plan for now until it happens again. I'm also hoping to make new jumpers when I get time, so that could eliminate one possibility.
  • F1nut
    Options
    ^ Excellent eye ^

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Another observation, which may have nothing to do with your issue, but bears mentioning. Never bend the leads coming out of a resistor right at the body like in the first and last pics. Make the bend no closer than a quarter inch, which is a good practice with caps as well.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    ^ Excellent eye ^

I agree I'd rework that joint.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Now that I can get a good look on the work PC there are two area's there that look like they are missing solder. I would definitely rework those two area with new solder.
    See the white area

mndccmtj807z.jpg
  • hochpt21
    Options
    I would have to find someone who know how to solder. Also, do you need to remove the whole thing to work on it, or can you just work on it still connected?

You can see in the second picture those black and white wires. That is literally as far as I could pull it out, because those wires have no extra slack. And I think they are soldered in as well.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I would definitely make new jumpers.