Some people are certifiably nuts....

Options
I have been watching this guy's sales on Ebay for quite some time and there has been some posts over at Tube Asylum about what a certifiable nut this seller is.

Beware.......and do you due diligence. He doesn't outright fib, but he sure can pile on horse manure to get you to bite. Here is an example of his lunacy.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MEGA-EXTREMELY-RARE-TUBES-NOS-PAIR-12AX7-SILVER-COPPER-FOIL-GETTER-TUNGSOL-/401065524996?hash=item5d615e3f04:g:pooAAOSwoydWsdJA

$10,000 for a pair of 1950's Tung Sol 12AX7's. Read some of his Ebay sales and try corresponding with the guy sometime. Funny for us seasoned tube buyers, but not so funny for the noob.

Modern day version of the potion peddler.

Caveat Emptor

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    The complete irony to this entire post is over at Tube Asylum he actually told someone that Tung Sol never, ever made a tube..........just distributed other manufacturer's tubes and put their label on them.

But here, he has the rarest of the rare manufactured by Tung Sol........yada, yada, yada.

Stay far away unless YOU know exactly what you are buying.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    If you want to follow some of the lunacy here's the Tubes Asylum thread

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tubes&m=266850
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    but, but... he's got 100% positive feedback
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    He does, not sure how. Again he's not outright deceptive, just manipulative and 1/2 truthful. He's a BS'er. I'm sure much of what he sells is genuine and good stock. It's just the narrative to get the sale I'm talking about here.

I don't think he is fraudulent, I just think all the hubris clouds the fact that most if not all of what he sells is common stock tubes. He tries to create this aura with stories about this and that and his and his colleagues experiences to inflate the perceived value.

He's a true spinner of the facts...............just pointing out if you deal with him take what he presents with a grain of salt and do your own research, as most of what he writes in his descriptions are inflated tales. He then tries to cover it up expounding about how many stores he has and the combined tube experience he and his cohorts have. In essence saying "you dare to doubt us".....lol

And, I'm sorry, but no pair of tubes is worth $10K, to even suggest that is pure lunacy IMO.

H9
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    H9,

This is Old Guy Radiola, man! This is Old Guy Radiola you are talking about.

So old that he doesn't remember where to put a dot in the asking price.

Aside from him living about 80 miles away from me, I never bought any tube from him before.

But I saw him listing nice tubes at absurd prices most of the time.

Good Luck trying to put some sense into him!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yep, that's him.

I've had no dealings with him and never will.

Just posting as a public service and to get a good laugh.

He is also hocking these which are actually inexpensive Raytheon 5755's with some home-made adornments.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Overlord-Nos-Nib-Match-Pair-12ax7-HD-ecc803s-Ultimate-12ax7-Tubes-GOLD-Pins-HIFI-/301816973174?hash=item4645b18776

Ok, this is PURE deception.

• megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    lol. I think he is simply asking more $ for added souls around the tubes.

May be he thinks those charms work real good when the tubes grow? I don't know but why are you browsing the CA site and not US site? Have you moved to the COLD side?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • heiney9
    Options
    No, the US site happens to be blocked at work so I found a work around by using the CA site......... :D.