Club Polk Perception

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sweet Petunia Jane! That's a mess o' amps!

Nope just left and right.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sweet Petunia Jane! That's a mess o' amps!

Turn in the Caddy Russ and get you somma dat!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Well if you move to Siberia, those amps would serve a dual purpose and pay for themselves
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    ^Dear Sir or Madame: @DonnerUndBlitzen

Once again it appears you are missing why people are not happy with you. You are more than welcome to your own opinion on subjects, that is fine.

However when you post a comment, like the one you did earlier today in this same thread, eluding to the fact this place is still like a "20 acre food fight", you MUST understand how that will be taken offensively by many.

This is just the same way you seem to be taking offense to comments directed toward you by others because they have a opposite view than you as to the status of this forum.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot express YOUR OPINION and then get mad and lash out when people disagree with you.

Additionally when your having a disagreement with someone that you don't know personally, adding jokes into your commentary (re: bad burrito) doesn't make them funny. It comes off as offensive and an attempt to pass your post off as humor instead of the intended wicked insulting barb it is.

Polk Management is welcome to allow whoever to post whatever they want, on their forum, subject to their rules. However don't mistake their lack of weighing in on your, or any of our actions for approval of them. Neither you nor I have any idea what conversations may or may not be taking place regarding current members, myself included, and possible bans, removal of posts, etc.

For one I would appreciate if you kept your attempt at humor when disagree with someone to yourself, as it comes of as insulting. Additionally if the forum continues to be a "20 acre food fight" you are welcome to stay and join in the fun, walk out the door, or sit silent on the sidelines taunting everyone trying to stay clean.

I have reported your post, and should you continue to act as such, will continue to report all subsequent posts by you.

My last comment is that perhaps when you discover that everyone on a given forum, this one or otherwise, has a problem with you, and you alone, and that one fact is the only consistent thing tying everything together, perhaps the issue doesn't lie with them, but in some behavior you continue to repeat.

Something to think about, while you debate how to respond to my post in a passive/aggressive/insulting way.

Warmer than Warmest Regards
    Dan

PS I dont like mexican, so make your comments about me reference chinese food or steaks (see I posted humor, so you cant take offense at anything I said above. I will even end it with a :smile: )

DUB spelled backwards means BUD, or does BUD spelled backwards means DUB? Kindest warmest regards the peanut gallery :o
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    DSkip wrote: »
    700 watts of tube power is just building it to see if you can. I'd love to say that impresses me, but it doesn't.

It should. He makes incredible tube amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    There is a need for that much power, but 95% of us don't need it. The rest can't afford it
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I know he does. I'm not saying these won't be great. Just pushing a design to that level doesn't impress me. I'd rather see him make a lower watt amp push the boundaries.

I suspect there will be some trickle down with this and through imitation, the tube community in general will glean better amps from this innovation.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    ^Dear Sir or Madame: @DonnerUndBlitzen

Once again it appears you are missing why people are not happy with you. You are more than welcome to your own opinion on subjects, that is fine.

However when you post a comment, like the one you did earlier today in this same thread, eluding to the fact this place is still like a "20 acre food fight", you MUST understand how that will be taken offensively by many.

This is just the same way you seem to be taking offense to comments directed toward you by others because they have a opposite view than you as to the status of this forum.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot express YOUR OPINION and then get mad and lash out when people disagree with you.

Additionally when your having a disagreement with someone that you don't know personally, adding jokes into your commentary (re: bad burrito) doesn't make them funny. It comes off as offensive and an attempt to pass your post off as humor instead of the intended wicked insulting barb it is.

Polk Management is welcome to allow whoever to post whatever they want, on their forum, subject to their rules. However don't mistake their lack of weighing in on your, or any of our actions for approval of them. Neither you nor I have any idea what conversations may or may not be taking place regarding current members, myself included, and possible bans, removal of posts, etc.

For one I would appreciate if you kept your attempt at humor when disagree with someone to yourself, as it comes of as insulting. Additionally if the forum continues to be a "20 acre food fight" you are welcome to stay and join in the fun, walk out the door, or sit silent on the sidelines taunting everyone trying to stay clean.

I have reported your post, and should you continue to act as such, will continue to report all subsequent posts by you.

My last comment is that perhaps when you discover that everyone on a given forum, this one or otherwise, has a problem with you, and you alone, and that one fact is the only consistent thing tying everything together, perhaps the issue doesn't lie with them, but in some behavior you continue to repeat.

Something to think about, while you debate how to respond to my post in a passive/aggressive/insulting way.

Warmer than Warmest Regards
    Dan

PS I dont like mexican, so make your comments about me reference chinese food or steaks (see I posted humor, so you cant take offense at anything I said above. I will even end it with a :smile: )

DUB spelled backwards means BUD, or does BUD spelled backwards means DUB? Kindest warmest regards the peanut gallery :o

Golly. You cracked my encryption and exposed me. Now the gloves are off. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Mine do an easy 350 and that is enough for me. The 700 watt amps are actually rated at 900 watts as I recall if you run KT120's. I have heard these driving the big Magico speakers. Then listened again using Classe mono amps. The big Carvers were night and day better in every regard.

If I had the coin, I would not hesitate pulling the trigger.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited August 2017
    There is a need for that much power, but 95% of us don't need it. The rest can't afford it

John, when would one need 700 watts of tube power? My thoughts would be, at the price point I'm expecting this one to hit, that one who would need that much power would be invested in a true multi-amp configuration and would put a solid state amplifier on the bass drivers. It seems many of the modern designs where that much power is needed already have internal amplifiers for the bass drivers anyways.

I'm not being argumentative there - I really would like to know where you think this application is needed. I don't even have an issue with your beasts, but doubling down on that seems unnecessary in every situation I can think of.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I know he does. I'm not saying these won't be great. Just pushing a design to that level doesn't impress me. I'd rather see him make a lower watt amp push the boundaries.

I suspect there will be some trickle down with this and through imitation, the tube community in general will glean better amps from this innovation.

I need to read through the write-up, but my gut tells me there isn't much innovation in the design so much as setting a power goal and throwing in enough tubes to reach it. That isn't to say its a bad design or Bob doesn't know what he is doing (obviously he does), but when I see that kind of number I think its more to do with sticker-shock as opposed to ingenuity in design.

There is innovation in his amps, the longevity of the tubes and how that is accomplished being the most note worthy in the current versions. He used the knowledge gained from the original Silver 6, Silver 7 and Silver 9 tube mono blocks with separate power supplies that he made years ago to create the current versions. There may have been a few other tube amps back then that used separate power supplies, but I can't think of any. Let me tell you those original amps are amazing, the sound quality is off the charts great. They also happen to be the only amps I've heard that can properly drive the Carver Platinum speakers. I've heard high powered SS amps choke trying to drive those speakers. So, if his tube amps can drive those just think how well they'd do with other speakers.

What you get from running high quality, high powered amps, SS or tubes is speed, iron fisted bass and unreal dynamics with an ease that is very hard to perhaps impossible to get otherwise.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2

No doubt.
    Wonder what he could do with the new Tung Sol tubes ?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,305
    700 watts of tube power is just building it to see if you can. I'd love to say that impresses me, but it doesn't.

That's because you haven't heard them yet. Once you do, you would be singing a different tune.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,305
    On another note, he designed a small tube amp that we (54 of us) actually built up on the mountain at Carverfest one year. To date, I have only heard one smaller tube amp that comes close to the sonic characteristics that little amp puts out. I don't recall the name of it and it's currently no longer on his website but I have two of them configured in mono. If memory serves, they only produce 12 watts and could make a pair of Apogees sound wonderful at reasonable levels. What would make those very same speakers sound incredible? The amps you mentioned not being impressed with.

They have the reserve power to handle the Apogees, Amazings, Quads and the like without breaking a sweat but have the clarity and finesse to put Eva Cassidy right there in your living room.

If there is one thing that Bob is truly a master of, that would be tube amps.

I personally gave Bob mad accolades on the sonic signature of those tube amps we built up on the mountain. Those that own the amps still sing praises of what Bob accomplished with this little amp. I also say this with the first hand knowledge of hearing close to every amplifier, tube and SS, that he has ever produced with all of his companies he has had. The one I wished I had put my ears on was the one that started it all....the coffee can amp.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    polrbehr wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

My last comment is that perhaps when you discover that everyone on a given forum, this one or otherwise, has a problem with you, and you alone, and that one fact is the only consistent thing tying everything together, perhaps the issue doesn't lie with them,but in some behavior you continue to repeat.

I find this comment somewhat disturbing. I am hoping it was meant in jest, although you implied you do not jest with someone you do not know well.
    I find it quite hard to believe that "Everyone" on this forum has a problem with DuB, and likewise hard to believe you have spoken to literally everyone about him.

I will even agree with you, at times, some of his comments seem :out of place" or could cause some of the backlash you mention, but to literally insinuate, Every person on the forum has some issue with him?

I see the same 8-12 guys Bashing him, and a few others people, no matter what they say, then then going back and piling on over and over again, almost as if it is entertainment or a way to fight boredom.

I seem to remember someone telling me about being embarrassed by how several in the forum behave.......... :*

I will come right out and ask you. If this place is so horrible/intolerable, why not just stay away? When I joined this place, I acted like an a$$ on several occasions, got into some stupid back-and-forths with a few people, and wondered why I bothered logging in again.

I Never said anything about this forum being horrible/intolerable. That is your altered perception of what I said.

I find a lot of valuable information here, and I often PM privately to several people.
    I tend to read a LOT more than I post.

From what several long term members have told me, things have not been well for many years. The same several guys bash 4-6 'targeted" people and all pile on them, tell them they are trolls, tell them they do not understand the forum etc....till they force them to leave or argue back enough to get banned.

• txcoastal1
    m86fvznjksvt.gif
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    yyuiU.jpg
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    I only came here for the TBT, now that it's gone I don't frequent nearly as much. The people here are looney. And that JStas guy types too much.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    heiney9 wrote: »
    polrbehr wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

My last comment is that perhaps when you discover that everyone on a given forum, this one or otherwise, has a problem with you, and you alone, and that one fact is the only consistent thing tying everything together, perhaps the issue doesn't lie with them,but in some behavior you continue to repeat.

I find this comment somewhat disturbing. I am hoping it was meant in jest, although you implied you do not jest with someone you do not know well.
    I find it quite hard to believe that "Everyone" on this forum has a problem with DuB, and likewise hard to believe you have spoken to literally everyone about him.

I will even agree with you, at times, some of his comments seem :out of place" or could cause some of the backlash you mention, but to literally insinuate, Every person on the forum has some issue with him?

I see the same 8-12 guys Bashing him, and a few others people, no matter what they say, then then going back and piling on over and over again, almost as if it is entertainment or a way to fight boredom.

I seem to remember someone telling me about being embarrassed by how several in the forum behave.......... :*

I will come right out and ask you. If this place is so horrible/intolerable, why not just
    stay away? When I joined this place, I acted like an a$$ on several occasions, got into some stupid back-and-forths with a few people, and wondered why I bothered logging in again. But after awhile, it started to occur to me that - A. the stuff I thought I knew about was nothing compared to what a lot of people actually did (WTH is a noise floor, anyway?), and B. I could learn an awful lot by reading more and posting less. Hence my fairly low post count, even to this day.

Speaking only for myself, I am glad I stayed, and figured out what this place was all about.

Stop trying to reason with an unreasonable person. They'll never get it. The world is out to get them at every turn.

H9

10 guys on an audio forum is not the world. Maybe to you it is.
  • txcoastal1
    9kr3kgmzap4m.gif

• txcoastal1
    edited August 2017
    Speaking words of wisdom Let it be

https://youtu.be/ZtNU616XqQk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    And another K_M attempt to have the last word in 3...2...1...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • pitdogg2
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I only came here for the TBT, now that it's gone I don't frequent nearly as much. The people here are looney. And that JStas guy types too much.
    -Cody

At least our threads bring folks out of witness protection hiding :p
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    exalted512 wrote: »
    -Cody

umm -- "TBT"? das verstehe ich nicht. :/
    "Triple Blind Testing"?

;)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    tasteless babe thread......c'mon Mark, your not that old. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    My noodle twitched and i knew i had to get to the forum immediately!!!!

Did someone mention the fabled Rick88 TBT thread?!?!?!?!!?

Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....
    Come on guys, if we all chant together, this can happen!

Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,711
    It won't. You know it won't. Don't start causing an issue over it, please.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    tonyb wrote: »
    tasteless babe thread......c'mon Mark, your not that old. ;)

I -- I forgot the nomenclature :/

-- and I am getting old, if you catch my drift :(

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    mrbiron wrote: »
    My noodle twitched and i knew i had to get to the forum immediately!!!!

Did someone mention the fabled Rick88 TBT thread?!?!?!?!!?

Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....
    Come on guys, if we all chant together, this can happen!

Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....Bring it back....bring it back....bring it back....

https://youtu.be/88b0OYxdtyM?t=4m28s
    :|

• mrbiron
    Jstas wrote: »
    It won't. You know it won't. Don't start causing an issue over it, please.

All in jest. I'm certain that thread has been wiped from existence as we know it.
    I'd rather the "Leaf" threads be resurrected ;)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The Ultimates? If so, those definitely do not need 700 watts. I don't doubt they bested the Classe amplifiers though.

I heard The Ultimates; $650K, at Magico in their listening room, and demoed by Alon Wolf. Each horn has its own amp and xover, although I didn't ask about the power. They effortlessly filled the listening room with sound, and, obviously, sounded great.

However, to me, they are ugly as sin, and really didn't sound that much better than the S5s. At that level, you are dealing with nuances in sound, and at a great cost.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.