Raising sub woofer level.....

13»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2011
    treitz3 wrote: »
    OK, the true test of my set up? Burmester's Yim Hok-Man, "Poet of Chinese Drums"

Goose bumps for sure. I would offer a standing ovation but I can not stand at this point. OutF'nstanding!!! Words can not describe! I'll just leave it at that...........words can not describe.

Wow!

Time to hit repeat and enjoy :biggrin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited June 2011
    By all means if you're enjoying the setup go for it. Nothing should stop you in that pursuit. I'm just a little wary of the fact whether the new physical location of the sub is causing the gains or the use of directly coupling the sub to the floor with spikes is causing the gains. It might be both, a mix or one or the other.

I have constructed my own isolation platforms in this goal to decouple both my main subs and I think it has produced tremendous gains for the price I had paid into it. No longer would objects resonate or bass be muddied. It's quite a feat with some MDF and foam. However I have never heard of people stacking their sub on something to improve their SQ which leave me first a little dubious.

However there's room for plenty of talk. But there should be MORE PICTURES.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    OK, the true test of my set up? Burmester's Yim Hok-Man, "Poet of Chinese Drums"

Goose bumps for sure. I would offer a standing ovation but I can not stand at this point. OutF'nstanding!!! Words can not describe! I'll just leave it at that...........words can not describe.

Wow!

Tom, where did you get that CD? I see a standard CD & a "K2 HD" version on Amazon; the standard is $8 & the K2 is $35....
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited June 2011
    Sorry about the pic's. I had taken some last weekend and it turned out the camera lens had some pretty bad smudges on it and the light on the smudges blocked most of the pictures. I will try to get some up today, however no promises. I feel like I got hit by a Mack truck due to sickness since this past Sunday and moving around is not too comfortable right now.

Gary, I got that CD from someone on Club Polk a year or two back. It is Burmester Vorf?hrungs CD III. I found it on Flea Prey [link below] but I'm sure you can get it for a better price elsewhere. I don't believe I paid anywhere near the price this cat wants for it, which is $110.00. I didn't see any over at Amazon and I do know that it is out of print so you may have to do some research and have a little patience in finding one at a decent price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-New-Burmester-Demo-CD-3-Vorfuhrungs-CD-III-OOP-/150594272582?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item23101e3d46

1505942725828080_1.jpg

Burmester also provided this number that may help you find it on another album or download. It is 8.225942 but the quality of the recording may be different. Sorry bud, that's all I can offer you at this point.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Damned computers. The question mark in the word "Vorf?hrungs" is a u with the two dots over it. It typed fine but apparently did not transfer to the final post.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited June 2011
    Sorry about the pic's. I had taken some last weekend and it turned out the camera lens had some pretty bad smudges on it and the light on the smudges blocked most of the pictures. I will try to get some up today, however no promises. I feel like I got hit by a Mack truck due to sickness since this past Sunday and moving around is not too comfortable right now.

Gary, I got that CD from someone on Club Polk a year or two back. It is Burmester Vorf?hrungs CD III. I found it on Flea Prey [link below] but I'm sure you can get it for a better price elsewhere. I don't believe I paid anywhere near the price this cat wants for it, which is $110.00. I didn't see any over at Amazon and I do know that it is out of print so you may have to do some research and have a little patience in finding one at a decent price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-New-Burmester-Demo-CD-3-Vorfuhrungs-CD-III-OOP-/150594272582?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item23101e3d46

1505942725828080_1.jpg

Burmester also provided this number that may help you find it on another album or download. It is 8.225942 but the quality of the recording may be different. Sorry bud, that's all I can offer you at this point.

Sorry to hear about the sickness. All the best to a quick recovery. We'll be looking forward to those pictures when you're better.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Alright, I finally had some time to snap some photos of the rig as it is today. Here ya' go...

SparkyIII004.jpg

SparkyIII002.jpg

SparkyIII001.jpg

The sweet spot...

SparkyIII004.jpg

The vinyl part of the rig is missing. That's a Music Hall MMF-5 that normally sits on the top shelf and some other goodies that's off in a different area [Nitty Gritty RCM, the Shark, etc...]. As you can see, it's now just storage for the things we have been watching or listening too. That will be picked up from a buddy I loaned it to within the next couple of weeks [along with the Anthem1 amps]....and I can't wait!

You will notice that the speakers are a little bit distorted. Sorry about that, I used my wife's camera. What you will also notice is that I have the mains tilted back. This is done to produce a better pinpoint image and sound stage with the Tyler Linbrook Signature's. The mains have also been measured on rake, toe-in and separation from the sweet spot down to within 1/16th of an inch on all aspects.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited June 2011
    Very nice looking!
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Nice looking rig. What model speakers and subs are those?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited June 2011
    Ill answer for ol Tom boy!

He has the Linbrook signatures (same speakers you have Ern Dog but all in one cabinet) and the custom subs that Ty built for me...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2011
    Ill answer for ol Tom boy!

He has the Linbrook signatures (same speakers you have Ern Dog but all in one cabinet) and the custom subs that Ty built for me...

And what size subs are in those cabinets?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited June 2011
    10" Excel woofers

And Tom - your right sub's grill is upside down..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2011
    Makes me wonder if perhaps I should get a SVS PB-12+ and put it on a stand instead of a SVS PC-12NSD......
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    Going all NECRO and raising a thread from the dead....

Another thread brought me back to this.

On Thursday night my wife will be out for the evening, so I hope to try this with my sub and get some measurements of floor v elevated to post.

Should make for some fun for my daughter and I. She called my REW sweeps, or anytime I run calibration, "The Beeps", and loves to participate in sitting quietly in the room while I measure :smile:

PS @treitz3

Here go some pics of your setup speaker wise (I'm SURE the gear has changed) so you could show @halen the layout
  • EndersShadow
    So I got some time earlier tonight while my wife was gone to test this out.

I have a downfiring Outlaw Audio LFM-1 ported sub. Its on a Auralex gramma pad in the corner of the room.

I measured Left w sub/Right w sub using my UMIK mic. I then put the sub on my endtable raising it pretty much level with the right speaker, still on the Auralex pad.

Remeasured.... no real difference in measurements.....

Had no time to seriously listen to see if it sounded the same, so will try that at a different point.

I did discover I very much need to redo ARC on my anthem with the new placement as it looked bad... but ARC wont work with my mic on my Windows 10 pc.... so I either find a Windows XP machine, or buy a new mic lol....
  • treitz3
    Damn. I did it again. LONG post......as I'm typing, my finger hit the screen on the laptop at the hotel and BAM! Post gone.

Idgit. (me)

I know, I know.....do it on Word. Scared everybody at the bar when I suddenly slammed the laptop screen down after saying a sharp expletive at much better than normal level. Sounded like a gunshot blast (sorry). Grrr. Anyhoo, thanks for the bump on this thread EndersShadow. I re-read everything and enjoyed the read. Many things have changed with my rig but the subs on the stands remains. The stands are still spiked and most all of the previous gripes I had with the subs are still gone.

I think the loss of the Tyler's are still in order and I am still looking at 2 Rythmik F25's to get rid of the gripes I have left but I will say this. This experiment DID end up being a permanent addition to the rig and I'll never look back. Zero....and I do mean zero regrets. I'm very glad I tried it as I am enjoying the benefits on a daily basis. Especially on great recordings. The better the recording, the better the results.

More later but for now......the experiment definitely worked for me and my system. Hands down, one of the better ideas I tried for my rig. I'm SO glad I tried it and knowing know what I didn't know then?

I would never, ever go back to the subs on the floor. I still remember what gripes I had with them in that location. They were gone after the tweaking and have not returned in the 6 years since.

Tom
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    I agree I think was fun and interesting.

I'm game for doing it again once I get ARC redone in my system as that may be the icing on the cake.

The differences in our results could be due to a lot of things, such as my ported v your sealed subs, my single v your dual, my downfiring v your front firing and I'm quite sure the room.

It was for sure intriguing and interesting and most importantly, cost me not a single penny.