Nocturnal Feline Speaker Defence

zamuqd8bfl8i.jpg

HA! How you like dem apples.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited August 2017
    Note only used at night when not listening. Velco straps.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • codycatalist
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I'd just get rid of that cat with a swift kick in the rump. :o

If it was mine I would. Daughter adores the cat, can't bring myself to get rid of it. On the plus side it really tames the highs :D

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    They look like they could also use some "Decor-off" speaker top protection... silly humans anyway,
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • codycatalist
    They look like they could also use some "Decor-off" speaker top protection... silly humans anyway,

Touches the Spawn figures she gets it!

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2017
    heh :)

when I had Altec Valencias, one was grille-less. I cut a piece of hard foam board (like the stuff architects use for their models) to fit over the woofer when not in use. I wasn't about to let a kitteh sink its claws into an Altec 416 woofer :/

12980008165_d42bcedc8f_b.jpgP1020753 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

12289315386_cf252f4e11_b.jpgDSCN5289 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nice idea Cody o:)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    1st, clip the cat's nails. Keep them short, just above the pink line. It doesn't hurt them as long as you don't go into the pink/blood line.

2nd, get the cat a Turbo-scratcher toy and load it up with cat-nip. Show the cat how to use it. They love it! I've had 4 different cats (2 currently) over the last 15 years. They have never even bothered with the speakers. They are totally satisfied scratching the cardboard turbo scratcher.

https://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Scratcher-Cat-Toy/dp/B000IYSAIW

They sell refills also. Tip: When one side starts to get worn, flip it over.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • codycatalist
    billbillw wrote: »
    1st, clip the cat's nails. Keep them short, just above the pink line. It doesn't hurt them as long as you don't go into the pink/blood line.

2nd, get the cat a Turbo-scratcher toy and load it up with cat-nip. Show the cat how to use it. They love it! I've had 4 different cats (2 currently) over the last 15 years. They have never even bothered with the speakers. They are totally satisfied scratching the cardboard turbo scratcher.

https://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Scratcher-Cat-Toy/dp/B000IYSAIW

They sell refills also. Tip: When one side starts to get worn, flip it over.

I'll look into it but don't mistake her going for the speakers as a toy or lack of trying other options. Like I mentioned it is usually when the dog riles her up and she runs around then jumps on them to escape.

I just need to get some speakers to replace the SDAs in the living room and put them away until I get the house with a dedicated room.

• mhardy6647
    Our very first cat, Griswold (who adopted us when we lived in the Silicon Valley in the late 1980s) had but one vice: He would scratch on the black grille cloth of one of my Monitor 7As! :(

(I still need to redo those grilles, in fact)

My short term solution was to replace the 7As in the family room of our old house in MA with -- a pair of dump-find ads L-710s.

The L-710, which, objectively speaking, is probably a better loudspeaker than the 7A (sorry ;)) also has the advantage of a perforated metal grille! Quite cat-proof.

Some ads loudspeakers have metal grilles, some fabric... they're (IMO) worth seeking out, irrespective of grille material... but in the context of this thread, the metal grilles could be a value-add!
  • pitdogg2
    Trim the nails did that all the time with ours. In all reality its a must. Many are just trying to wear their nails down to a manageable level. We had several cat scratch toys as bill mentioned. I found he only really used them when his nails were too long and he clicked across the tile floor or snagged on the carpet.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Spray paint the board white and let you daughter to a sticker and art project :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Wheres the electric wire attached to a battery hidden?

Actually not a bad idear. Thankfully my cat just enjoyes destroying the doorframe casings, so no worry about speakers (I've got my priorities straight :smile: ).

Alternately, see if the Local Lowes has some leftover fridge boxes, so then you could cover the entire speaker.

Then like ron said, make it an art project :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I use sticky traps, it's more fun than a barrel full of monkeys
  • EndersShadow
    afterburnt wrote: »

Till they break something ELSE, normally ONLY something of significant value that's important to your significant other.... then you sell your speaker speakers to replace it.... while your cat grins and grins and grins
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    afterburnt wrote: »

Till they break something ELSE, normally ONLY something of significant value that's important to your significant other.... then you sell your speaker speakers to replace it.... while your cat grins and grins and grins

Yeah cats are evil like that, funny thing is they try to kill her all of the time.
  • codycatalist
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Spray paint the board white and let you daughter to a sticker and art project :)

Not a bad idea at all. I might just do this!

• mhardy6647
    You could paint it black, but black paint is oh so hard to source.

I place the blame on the Glimmer Twins.

https://youtu.be/O4irXQhgMqg
  • pitdogg2
    I'd spray it with that anti cat juice. Cat won't get close to them anymore.
    Problem solved.
    By the way Cody how you come up with that idea? B)
  • codycatalist
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'd spray it with that anti cat juice. Cat won't get close to them anymore.
    Problem solved.
    By the way Cody how you come up with that idea? B)

Actually I did spray them down with anti scratch spray just in case. :)

Funny thing, you know those moments when your other half explains an idea the complete wrong way then you think of it months later and claim authorship? Well that's what happened.

• pitdogg2
    Hmmm. She had a great idea then didn't she
  • Best solution that I have seen for cat claws. Great for homes with little kids running around and cats that like to stretch their toe muscles (that is actually what they are doing, not claw sharpening). Our vets in our small towns have hundreds of local cats wearing these crazy things and everyone is talking about how much they love it for their cat instead of the dreaded declaw procedure.javgdj71qlek.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NC2P9BP/ref=asc_df_B01NC2P9BP5124306/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01NC2P9BP&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144469268&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9773752384646004062&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026448&hvtargid=pla-335324202444
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Never declaw a cat!!! No only is it mutilation, it also (usually) negatively changes their personalities (takes the "cat" out of the cat). I've seen this on several occasions. Claw caps are a novel solution, but in the end, a PITA for both parties. A weekly trimming is all that's needed.
  • codycatalist
    Yeah declawing is not something I considered. Once we get a house if there is a doggy door I'd prefer her to be able to defend herself.

• codycatalist

Gotta love her. In all seriousness I was just at work tired from the cat meowing locked up in the bathroom all night and was thinking "Maybe I can find boxes big enough to fit over the speakers at night". After internally deliberating for a couple moments I though why not a project board and they can fit around via Velco and hot glued straps.

Voila Nocturnal feline speaker defense was born.

Might just patent it. Unless one of you Edison's does first.

• codycatalist

Gotta love her. In all seriousness I was just at work tired from the cat meowing locked up in the bathroom all night and was thinking "Maybe I can find boxes big enough to fit over the speakers at night". After internally deliberating for a couple moments I though why not a project board and they can fit around via Velco and hot glued straps.

Voila Nocturnal feline speaker defense was born.

Might just patent it. Unless one of you Edison's does first.

• EndersShadow
    We tried the claw covers. Our cat would just bite at her claws till she ripped them off and we'd find them all over the house. And not realize one was missing until she scratched something else up so we saw it wasnt there :frowning:
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Man, Cody, those things look factory! I wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't pointed them out.
    djxr5p7sq7y8.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • codycatalist
    msg wrote: »
    Man, Cody, those things look factory! I wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't pointed them out.
    djxr5p7sq7y8.jpg

Maybe I should forward this to @KenCustomerService as a feature for the New SDAs Ha!