Thoughts on SDA's...

12346»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2017
    I would like to add a link that gives a good pictorial description as well as a highly regarded reviewer back in the day and his explanation based on discussions with Polk at the time SDA's were released. I should have posted this earlier but I forgot about it.

https://polksda.com/srsreview.shtml

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Good grief is RIGHT! Holy deflection Batman!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    edited August 2017
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Good grief is RIGHT! Holy deflection Batman!

H9

Reminds me of this.....

None so deaf as those that will not hear.
    None so blind as those that will not see.

Thanks H9 for the old SDA review. It was great in addition to what Ken posted.
    I didn't know the full science behind the creation and purpose of SDA.

Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • Reminds me of school ground jam pile.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Okay maybe I am not understanding what you guys are meaning by the word effect, or why it seems offensive.

I gather some find the word "offensive", or wrong, but after reading over several other SDA threads, I saw the term "Effect" used by many.

I understand fully how it works and why, and it can be turned off simply by disconnecting the connecting cable.
    EFFECT:
    "a change that is a result or consequence of an action or other cause."

"cause (something) to happen; bring about."

When the SDA speakers are employed, the effect of them being used is a different soundstage, than when they are not used.

So to me that implies the STEREO DIMENSIONAL ARRAYS are indeed effecting the overall soundstage.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    @K_M , you came into this thread and stated over and over that SDA was an effect, something you can just turn on and off.

The members of this Forum are trying to help you and everyone else that may be confused, to understand the differences in certain technologies and what is best.

Read the SDA Law that I laid out and the link that @heiney9 has provided. They are excellent resources.

I never said it was AN effect, I said it was The SDA effect.
    Meaning, by using the Dimensional Arrays, it creates a different soundstage.

So the effect of the SDA array (Stereo dimensional array) being used, results in a different sound than when it is not obviously.

I am not saying it is a "Sound Effect", but that the dimensional drivers effect the sound, and they do.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2017
    Wow, just let it go........There are numerous other threads where you clearly call it an effect, not the SDA effect.
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    nbrowser wrote: »
    SDAs rock!

/thread end. :)

+1 SDAs rock!
    +1 thread end.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited August 2017
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited August 2017
    It's not offensive, just incorrect. The SDA drivers affect (make a difference to) the soundstage presented by the speakers compared to traditional stereo speakers through their physical acoustic properties. A pair of SDA speakers effects (brings about) a more spacious soundstage than traditional speakers because of their physical properties which remove from perception a negative artefact inherent in using two speakers.

An alternative way of looking at this is if someone (me) added a pair of Radio Shack super tweeter modules on top of their cheapo speakers back in the early 1980s to get more extended high frequencies, that action affected the sound produced by the system through acoustics by adding something physical. That something added was not an effect, although it did affect the overall sound and someone could say they liked the effect of adding them. That still wouldn't make the super tweeters an effect. Cranking up the treble control on the old console stereo to try and get a similar outcome without using those super tweeters was the act of using an effect.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    98o2i7f1olvf.png
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Fairly new here ... getting my bearings before posting much ...

I think I stumbled into the Wayback Machine and dropped into the old RAO newsgroup
    ... fellow old-timers will cringe/know what I mean ... those of you never exposed, count yourself lucky :)

This discussion has been closed.