This might be fun: thoughts about Mapleshade's products (specifically, wires)?

So, a week or so ago, I received a little care package of things from a long-time hifi friend (a fellow that I used to work with a long time ago). I was organizing a box of tubes & ephemera on a rainy Saturday morning -- and stumbled upon the "instructions" for a Mapleshade loudspeaker cable.

hm5x7j7am1ha.jpg

Now, my colleague is a big fan of the Mapleshade wires, and (it turns out) also owns a pair of Pierre Sprey's "modified" HH Scott components (a tuner & an integrated amp); i.e., he's a big fan.

I have zero experience with any of Mapleshade's products (even their CDs, which I understand are highly thought of in some circles). Sprey is a character, no doubt* -- his products certainly represent (by and large) some, shall we say, "out of the box" thinking (although perhaps not at the level of "quantum purifier" abstruseness!). He's also (literally and figuratively) been around for a while, too. The Mapleshade brand dates back to 1990.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com

Pierre_9415-SI(1).jpg

They look -- delicate (maybe even a tad unsafe, in terms of their power cords)... but that doesn't really say much about their audio prowess.

All of which is my long-winded way of saying: Any of youse guyses have "ears-on" experience with any of Mapleshades products (particularly, with any of their wires)?
"Ears-on" opinions of their (his) CDs or any of their (his) other products would be
interesting, too.

Really curious about this, if anyone has anything to share.

Thanks!

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    I know they get very positive consumer reactions. Never tried any myself, but all of his products seem to cure a tweakers wet dream.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2017
    I started with their wire, Clearview Double Helix Plus, and it was a big improvement over Home Depot twisted pair 12 gauge. Later I went to the Planar 5 with the biased open air mesh shielding, and found it to be a fantastic speaker cable. At least until a cat ripped it in two. I tried their analog ICs, and while they worked okay, at some point I grew tired of how fragile their wires are. Every time I moved the rack a speaker wire would break. If the analog ICs weren't just right then hum was there. Now all that is in the garage someplace.

I love their Samson racks and have one for the stereo and two for the HT. I still use their Micropoint brass footers on electronics. Their CDs are very well recorded, but other than a Reggae CD there isn't much I like.
    Post edited by BlueFox on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • There's a Mapleshade store in downtown Baltimore in an area that used to be called "antique row". I don't know if there's still enough antique shops to still call it that or not. I've collected a number of his CDs, mostly jazz and one or two blues, and they are among the most realistic I've heard. Especially the live recordings at the no longer around Ethel's Place. Pierre has a true love of music and treats his artists with respect and it shows in his recordings.
    He uses a simple approach, 2 track Sony open reel (TC-880) pressure zone microphones attached to angled sections of plexiglass, elevated platform for drum kit and his own record/playback EQ. From talking with him he takes his deck to the CD mastering studio so the digital transfer can be done simply. The results just plain sounds like real instruments being played.
    I've not heard any of his audio products, but I respect his CDs a great deal.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Good one Ken, I totally forgot about the cd's he makes/records. Might have to start looking for some of them.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2017
    His ideas on connecting cables remind me of what my friend and I tried many years ago. We took strands of Kimber Kable speaker wire apart and using packing tape placed a signal and ground return wire along the two edges of the tape, then put another piece of packing tape on top to hold everything together. Think long flat ribbon, sort of like enlarged 300 ohm twin lead, then put RCA plugs on both ends. They actually sounded really good, but would be hard to route lots of them, but no problem with the sound.
    Maybe I should make some more again.
  • His recording venue is this old mansion in Maryland and the artists come there and stay for the few days the recordings take, he makes the experience very personal and works to get a feel of what art they want to create.
    In looking at what he does with the elevated drums I've always felt that most subwoofers would sound more realistic if they were lifted off of the floor a foot or two.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited August 2017
    There's a Mapleshade store in downtown Baltimore in an area that used to be called "antique row". I don't know if there's still enough antique shops to still call it that or not. I've collected a number of his CDs, mostly jazz and one or two blues, and they are among the most realistic I've heard. Especially the live recordings at the no longer around Ethel's Place. Pierre has a true love of music and treats his artists with respect and it shows in his recordings.
    He uses a simple approach, 2 track Sony open reel (TC-880) pressure zone microphones attached to angled sections of plexiglass, elevated platform for drum kit and his own record/playback EQ. From talking with him he takes his deck to the CD mastering studio so the digital transfer can be done simply. The results just plain sounds like real instruments being played.
    I've not heard any of his audio products, but I respect his CDs a great deal.

Thanks for the extra context, Ken. I knew he was in the "Balto-Wash" metro area (I think he is or was in Upper Marlboro), but I didn't know there was a "brick & mortar" store. Thanks also for ID'ing the deck he uses! I knew it was a Sony, but hadn't (yet) figured out which!

"Ethel's Place" -- that triggers many memories! ... Mostly, of course, of Ethel Ennis... and her husband (not that I can remember his name!), who was a regular on the great old (OLD!) MD public TV ("Channel 67") program "Critics' Place"! :)

EDIT:
    PS (and FWIW), not that I know squat about recording, but I am a big fan of PZMs for my own playing around with recording. I have... a motley collection of them, including a couple of what I believe is early/original Crown PZMs (albeit an OEM version, as sold by good ol' Radio Shack) :)

051.jpg

source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1984)

• The most amazing musical experience of my life was hearing Sonny Rollins at Ethel's Place! Just unbelievable!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I've only experience with his CD's....well recorded stuff that would rival any SACD. If jazz or classical is up your alley, he has some good offerings.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    The most amazing musical experience of my life was hearing Sonny Rollins at Ethel's Place! Just unbelievable!

That must have been cool! He is an amazing performer (still!).
    http://www.npr.org/2017/06/12/531642637/after-7-decades-sonny-rollins-cant-get-music-off-his-mind

• tonyb
    Ya know Ken, never really thought about elevating subs patterned after the way it was recorded. I always was in-tune to how Mapleshade does their recordings, just never made the correlation before with drums and subs.

Very good point....anyone want to try that out and report back ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ya know Ken, never really thought about elevating subs patterned after the way it was recorded. I always was in-tune to how Mapleshade does their recordings, just never made the correlation before with drums and subs.

Very good point....anyone want to try that out and report back ?

Hey @tonyb.... didnt you read what @Jstas posted..... do a search already :tongue: (said in jest)

@treitz3 posted a thread on it in recent past with comments from some past Polkies of merit and grand renound.....

Here are some others

Thread.

I know a guy running his Sunfire True Sub Juniors on speaker stand and he loves it...

For giggles I may grab a endtable I have in my garage, throw it in the loft and then take REW measurements with and without the sub on it for giggles.

The Anthem ARC software is being wonky so I wont have room correction engaged for the test.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • The Sonny Rollins concert was amazing from start to finish, beginning with my wife winning the tickets on a radio contest. For some reason I can't remember I was the only person able to go. I was a huge fan of his, read everything I could about his career and have a nice collection of his work. The club was the perfect size for a jazz concert and everybody in there was excited and he was fantastic. After a while he played a solo number and he just kept playing and I started to really get into what he was doing. I was like an unwanted village rat and he was the Pied Piper, completely entranced. First of all his tone was incredible, it seemed unbelievably strong and muscular and still dexterous and articulate. If he would have walked out the front door and down to the inner harbor I would have gladly followed and jumped in. Secondly he is just so connected to his horn, you can hear the thought enter his mind and come out of the bell of the sax perfectly expressed.
    This is a guy who, at the peak of his career, took three years off from performing to practice 15 hours a day all year long from the Williamsburg Bridge just to find "his sound". It all comes through when you listen to him play, just amazing.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I always get a kick out of Mapleshades' flowery descriptions of what their product will do. I did try some brass weights/cone feet with suprising results on my old CEC-3300 CD Player.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I've only experience with his CD's....well recorded stuff that would rival any SACD. If jazz or classical is up your alley, he has some good offerings.

are these available anywhere easy to find?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited August 2017
    K_M wrote: »

are these available anywhere easy to find?
    http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/MAPLESHADE-CDs/departments/3/
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    I have Mapleshade modded (actually Foster Blair did the modifications) HH Scott 330D tuner and Type 335 multiplex adaptor. Both sound great. I also got from Mapleshade a dried maple platform for my turntable, brass footers for my speakers and oak album racks for my records. All of which seemed to be of high quality.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    His ideas on connecting cables remind me of what my friend and I tried many years ago. We took strands of Kimber Kable speaker wire apart and using packing tape placed a signal and ground return wire along the two edges of the tape, then put another piece of packing tape on top to hold everything together. Think long flat ribbon, sort of like enlarged 300 ohm twin lead, then put RCA plugs on both ends. They actually sounded really good, but would be hard to route lots of them, but no problem with the sound.
    Maybe I should make some more again.

Wait a minute, didn't I see some Nordost cable that looked just about like that, for $12,000?
  • kharp1
    Will say I always enjoyed their catalog.
  • tonyb
    He does have....lets just say, "colorful commentary" about his products that seem a tad over the top.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited August 2017
    "Brass weights carry even more punch than lead"! "tried the other common materials too (sand, stone, iron, VPI bricks, Shaktis)"
    zxi5vt9z2q0b.jpg
    "You can’t stop static from building up on plastic surfaces like your CDs. Our Static Draining Brush is the easiest way to neutralize static. The first of its kind, our brush uses highly conductive bristles connected to a grounding wire that conducts static away from the brushed object right into a plug you connect to the ground of any three-prong AC wall outlet."!
    fmnpnokdxdlg.jpg
    "This diminutive Reclocking Adapter incorporates astonishing circuit sophistication and several key elements essential for high quality, high resolution playback"!!
    "Our Amish woodworkers assemble a beautifully crafted (and ultra-low dielectric absorption) maple enclosure directly to the circuit board, thereby greatly stiffening the board while creating an ample sink for draining internal board vibrations. "
    "maple enclosure avoids the sound-muddying effects of high dielectric absorption of the usual plastic enclosures-or, alternatively, the energy-robbing eddy currents that plague any metal enclosures (eddy currents are inevitably induced in any conductive wire or plate near signal circuitry)"!!!
  • mhardy6647
    "Brass weights carry even more punch than lead"!

Guess it depends on the propellant, eh? ;)

Ken your description of Sonny Rollins' playing is spot on (in my limited experience). I remember a TV commercial of him walking the bridge, blowin' the sax, with the story of his "sabbatical"... but now that I am thinking about it, I can't for the life of me remember what the commercial itself was advertising! :/

I think I'll have to try one of the Mapleshade CDs... I see on the website that one may download MP3s to get a taste of their recordings; think I'll do that stat. :) I know everyone hates MP3s ;) but it seems like a way to get an idea of their "sound" if not necessarily their "sonics".
  • I have a cat that would never allow cabling insulation like that in our house. He obliterates cracker wrappers if I leave a sleave of crackers unfinished laying around. He won't touch the crackers, just perforates the wrapping with his "Felines" as he surely wouldn't be caught with canines. He loves to feel the pop of plastic.

I do have a couple jazz CDs from their mansion. Excellent recordings.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah. Cats.
    Actually, my friend has a cat, come to think of it.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I used to enjoy their catalog too, although I never bought anything and got purged from their list a few years ago when I last moved house. The owner seemed to have some unusual ideas, like sitting on the floor to listen to music. A lot of what he says makes sense though even if it does look really awkward and unconventional. He sure seems to have fun doing his thing.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Their recordings are amazing. The Mapleshade room at shows have consistently been the worst I've heard.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Well,

they outdo MIT and Transparent!
    I have to check out their CD's now. Thanks everyone!
  • kharp1
    Where was these resounding endorsements of their CD's when I was in to digital? Guy just pulled out of my driveway with 1500 discs and my CD player. I'm all about vinyl now. B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Where was these resounding endorsements of their CD's when I was in to digital? Guy just pulled out of my driveway with 1500 discs and my CD player. I'm all about vinyl now. B)

[emphasis added]

Hope he was drivin' an F250 -- otherwise I am guessing he was ridin' low in the back & will have difficulty negotiating speed bumps ;)