What tonearm cable are you using?

Options
I was looking at my tonearm cable and wondering if i can get any improvement from going with a more, much more modern cable than what came with my tonearm ( see sig ) circa 1979. It appears to be overbuilt, more so than the factory supplied generic cables that come with most electronics over the last few decades.

Do the same things apply to tonearm cables as ex; speaker cable or ic's? If so does a bright sounding tonearm cable affect the sound like speaker cables or a bright sounding amp? Just curious as to what options might be available for me. This one connects with the five pin straight not angled to rca.
Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I received a fairly nice audioquest tone arm cable with the fancy battery pack on it, with my table. The table sounded very nice, until I tried a home brew cable from a friend. The significance was so dramatic, that my table sounded like shite once I put the audio quest cable back in. I now use a Frey 2 cable and it is a serious eye opener. It seems to be the most important cable in my anolog set up.

The audio quest was such a veiled cable. I didn't think a cable carrying such tiny signals would make such a difference.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    One of the places that I frequent carries Nordost cables. Something to keep in mind.

I must say I am very pleased with the way my tt sounds but, there was such a difference to my sound when I upgraded my speaker cables i was wondering if i could make any gains here also.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    The table sounded very nice, until I tried a home brew cable from a friend. The significance was so dramatic, that my table sounded like shite once I put the audio quest cable back in. I now use a Frey 2 cable and it is a serious eye opener. It seems to be the most important cable in my anolog set up.

The audio quest was such a veiled cable. I didn't think a cable carrying such tiny signals would make such a difference.

I too feel that my TT sounds very nice. I am almost afraid how much better it might possibly sound. I did price out the Nordost cables & they are starting around $500 to $5400 for the top liner.

My marriage is going so well now...up to this point...goshdarnit. I may have to look into something a little cheaper. I am sure that even the AQ cable would be an improvement for ME with MY setup (over the ancient stock cable) that I am currently using.

I also feel I am due for a retip or replacement cart soon anyway. Long Siiiiiiiigghhh. :|
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I still use flexible center conductor coax IC's for vinyl, from the table to the SUT, to the phono-pre and to my pre-amp. While the RCA terminations on some turntables were cheap, there was a reason they used coax. Low capacitance, shielding and it will pass frequencies higher and lower than vinyl produces.

If you venture into wire IC's, ensure they are shielded and not high in capacitance. High capacitance is your cartridges enemy.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I've tried several over the years, and the best cable I've found at a "reasonable" price is from

http://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/phono-cables-occ-copper-and-occ-silver/

I'm using the Impact SE RCA/RCA and its a very cable for the money. With the Exchange Rate with Canada, I feel these cables are a bargain. Also, there is an additional 12% off sale until 8/25.
  • Manticore
    Options
    My tonearm connects with the five pin straight not angled to rca.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    Those Impact SE cables look very thick & beefy. Or is that just the photo? I am going to ask the place i frequent if there are any cables i can take home to try. All the info from you guys is priceless. Nice to know what works, sounds good & not so pricey. Thanks
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Just hard to find true 75Ω rca plugs nowadays.
    What about Canare?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    I always thought the canare rca's were supposed to by 75 ohm. I've used the with the canare coax.
    Just inquiring
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Manticore wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    The table sounded very nice, until I tried a home brew cable from a friend. The significance was so dramatic, that my table sounded like shite once I put the audio quest cable back in. I now use a Frey 2 cable and it is a serious eye opener. It seems to be the most important cable in my anolog set up.

I too feel that my TT sounds very nice. I am almost afraid how much better it might possibly sound. I did price out the Nordost cables & they are starting around $500 to $5400 for the top liner.

My marriage is going so well now...up to this point...goshdarnit. I may have to look into something a little cheaper. I am sure that even the AQ cable would be an improvement for ME with MY setup (over the ancient stock cable) that I am currently using.

I also feel I am due for a retip or replacement cart soon anyway. Long Siiiiiiiigghhh. :|

If you want I will give you a smoking deal on my audioquest cable. I don't see myself using it anytime soon.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Yep2: I resemble those cables
    Crapshoot.

Ive made a couple:
    4w2p82bc7civ.jpg

[/quote]

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    I use a 5 pin-din to rca junction box by Sumiko with my SOTA Saphire and Sonagraphe SG-3 (my other decks have captive phono cables except for the Harman Kardon T-60 which has rca jacks built into the back of the table allowing use of the cable of your choice). It allows the use of a pair of the same Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval interconnects that I use in the rest of the system. I use a short 0.5 meter pair to keep capacitance to a minimum. It sounds great!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am using Analysis Plus Solo Crystal 1.5m.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Manticore
    Options
    /\/\/\ @mikeyb128
    If you want I will give you a smoking deal on my audioquest cable. I don't see myself using it anytime soon.

I will keep this in mind, as long as you don't want it sold and gone yesterday.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    I've made a couple:
    9u0dgn7acuau.jpg
    Nicccce.
    which RCA connectors are thoses?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    I've been curious about this stuff from KAB.
    https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/superflex.htm
    (partial screencap from page)
    68tsld4c20vx.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I've been curious about this stuff from KAB.

Great for tonearm wiring. I use a silver cloth covered litz on my air bearing tone arms. It offers no significant resistance to tonearm movement. Inside the tonearm and continuing to RCA termination is tiny litz coax.

If you used this for IC's, you'd need to run it through tubing. I'd wrap it in tinfoil then sheath it. Terminations would be sensitive to strain.

Litz is enameled so difficult to clean before soldiering. A solder pot is helpful. Wire brushing or sanding is another way though tedious. Avoid acid dip or acid core solder. :o

Instead, and back to my favorite, coax, check out the litz coax KAB offers a little further down the page.

Mogami wire is also another good choice for IC's though I'd still shield it. I have a Aaron (ALL212) made Mogami cable for my headphones.

KAB/Cardas SpiralAir All Litz Coax is $4.50 per foot. Tiny, .180.

You can see the litz tonearm wire at rear of photo. It terminates in an S video connector for easy tonearm with different cartridge swap. Like 30 seconds.

hcpathm1uqlt.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *