Thoughts on SDA's...

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2017
    If one don't have Facebook or Twitter, like we will the ones that do spill the beans on the new SDA project excluding soundbars.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Didn't early stereo have 3 speakers ? Pretty sure it did.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Didn't early stereo have 3 speakers ? Pretty sure it did.

Yes, especially for large scale orchestral music.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    My Polk speakers do a fine job with stereo recordings and are as "authentic" a way of hearing recordings as any other brand of speakers. And that includes those with the initials "SDA."

If you ventured out from an AVR and RTiA speakers you'd realize how much more authentic it gets.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    My Polk speakers do a fine job with stereo recordings and are as "authentic" a way of hearing recordings as any other brand of speakers. And that includes those with the initials "SDA." Just about all professional recordings are processed, artificial and plastic. A plastic banana may look real from a distance, but often it does not look real up close and it feels PLASTIC. What type of speaker does a better job with playback of plastic - artificial recordings is pure opinion. Opinions, arm pits, and belly buttons - we all have them.

This is a naive statement. Yes, all speakers will reproduce the source material. However, virtually all speaker manufacturers have different models that, generally, perform better as the price increase. They are more "authentic" as their performance, and price, increases.

While it is true recordings are mastered, the better the speakers, electronics, cables, and power then the better, or more authentic, it will sound. Since this is all measurable, it is more than opinion.

Not sure what plastic bananas have to do with music. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2017
    BlueFox wrote: »

Not sure what plastic bananas have to do with music. :)

Well, for one...or two:

3lzjngmeh5jo.jpg
    p6p71rb7zw0c.jpg
    Post edited by vmaxer on
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    And we won't even get into most engineers and producers making recordings sound "best" in the most commonly listened locations...automobiles and headphones.

But hey...those recording engineers and producers are the ones dictating how we listen...even if it is wrong, we aren't the ones doing the work...so how dare we question them!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited August 2017
    I was going to go with a separate semi tongue-in-cheek thread about SDA effect and affect earlier today so not to derail this one, but I see its already off the tracks. It also gave me more time to think about it, and I will be more serious about my statement. But first stereo recording.

There are many published techniques to get the best accurate representation of a live event using only two channels. Why too channels, well two main reasons, the initial thought was we only have two ears, and the other was in the early days of recording and recording technology, someone figured out how to fit two channels on recording and mainstream playback devices.

With speakers, certain mic types and arrays were found to bring out certain aspects of the live performance when played back through two loudspeakers. The recording engineer chose what he thought captured the performance the best. Sometimes there were more than two mics. The mics arrays, and possibly some mixing were designed to compensate for the space between each ear. There was some natural L and R cancelation of crosstalk based on the mic crosstalk (both mics picked up the same sound) that improved the imaging and gave the reproduction some depth. Depending on the techniques used there was even apparent height. When the sound reached your ears it gave you the impression of the live performance.

Then there are headphones. There is no crosstalk between channels during reproduction. Some feel that this can lack depth. Since everyones ears are different, this can effect the representation. IMO SDA tries to blend headphone separation with loud speaker representation. IMO, what it achieves is a wider sound stage, and clearer separation.

A sub set of headphones is binaural. Its been said that this can be the most accurate representation of live (if your head was stuck in a vice) and it was recorded with casts of your ears. They are working on mapping ones ears to predefined source, and adding steering information that is supposed to match your ears. This could be a whole new realm. I've heard they are even trying to follow your head position for a VR experience. Multichannel speakers are getting close to creating this illusion too without the need to track head movements, or map your ears.

I was going to say tongue-in-cheek that SDA dimensional speakers effect the crosstalk and affect the listener.

Is SDA an effect? I think it depends on terminology. Is it a "sound effect" due to electronic manipulation of the source material? No. These effects are often thought of a gimmics. But I think SDA can still be call an effect, because the dimensional speakers do effect the sound from the mains. They aim to cancel the crosstalk, and they aim to do this for a certain frequency range to change the users perception of the sound. This can be considered an effect. I would not call it a gimmic.

On a side note and a thead for another day. Some OCD has been kicking in about the SDA models, line arrays, and tweeter offsets. Thinking about it, since different models are said to have diffent sounds, one might say they effect the sound differently based on there design.

I'll finish with I don't the SDA is an effect assuming most people would classify effect as the fist definition, a type of "sound effect" or electronic manipulation.
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    In the end, it is a matter of what the individual accepts as a natural musical reproduction. I have listened to countless speakers and for my money, SDA SRS is the clear winner. Effect or not is irrelevant. I have had electronics with sound field mapping to 5 channels that was a novelty initially, but was never used consistently. The effect was not consistent across a complete recording and served as more of a distraction than an enhansment.
    Just my $0.02
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Stadium Mode or Concert Hall Mode on a receiver is an effect generated by a processor to give the illusion of being in such an environment. They sound awful.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Yet, no one is mentioning that almost all recordings are Studio created with multiple tracks, and there is no "Real event or imaging" to begin with.

The intended Imaging is simply created in a room electronically by a guy that uses 2 normal non SDA speakers, by panning, level and phase.

If the recording engineer mixes and masters on NORMAL non SDA speakers, that is the Standard of what he determines or manipulates the sound stage to be.

• K_M
    delkal wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    2 channel stereo is an illusion since it's been mixed and manipulated down from multi channel recordings.
    Engineers can be incredibily heavy handed in mixing and mastering for a single particular attribute. Think of them as the same as a photographer using photo-shop to manipulate their photo's for the intended final result. Not realistic at all, but altered, manipulated to produce an intended outcome other than the real thing.

This is something I never understood. I don't see how you can get imaging unless the song was recorded in one take with everyone playing AND it was recorded with just 2 microphones. I have some recordings like that and they do image.

But how can you get "imaging" from laying over different tracks recorded at different times. Or from a guitar plugged straight into the recording soundboard!

But the biggest question is how can SDA's make sense of the mixed recording that might not have any true imaging to start with.

That is what got me wondering about the SDA effect also.

I totally get the "real world" concert setting and how it could work better, but it loses me totally with studio created music, which never had any true imaging to begin with.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    It is used today in Polk's surround bars and their new upcoming SDA speakers.

Interesting. I think if they came in at around 3K with modern drivers and updated tech, they might be quite successful.

• K_M
    edited August 2017
    K_M wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    I see someone didn't read the explanation of what SDA is. Once again, it is not an effect. Non-SDA stereo speakers would be more accurately described as having an effect.

Non-SDA speakers are used in virtually every recording mastering and mixing studio, therefore soundstage and stereo effects are optimized in house for normal non-SDA speakers.

Your comments are based on sales literature and the "White paper" from Polk and are in conflict with real world experiences with recording, mixing and mastering personnel.

The Polk white paper ignores certain facts about how actual recordings are made over the last 4-5 decades and instead concentrates on a theoretical recording style that has the listener sitting in the middle of a concert hall, and hearing the sound and scope of the hall itself.

Since almost all recordings are completely created in studio, and the resultant sound stage and stereo effect are done with normal speakers, similar to what is used in home, the SDA effect may be quite enjoyable, fun and even sound better, but it will never be a more accurate representation of what the recording engineer intended.

It's laughable that you think 2 channel stereo is the correct way to reproduce life like sound. It's not, It's incredibly flawed. SDA's provide a way to correct a few of the blatant flaws in the 2 channel mix down of a multi faceted real life event. Our ears and brains are much more sophisticated than to settle for a 2 channel mix down.

Also SDA IS a much more realistic and accurate presentation of the real life event, not stereo. Engineers can be incredibily heavy handed in mixing and mastering for a single particular attribute. Think of them as the same as a photographer using photo-shop to manipulate their photo's for the intended final result. Not realistic at all, but altered, manipulated to produce an intended outcome other than the real thing.

Are SDA's perfectly recreating the real event, no, but they are much closer than the same played in 2 channel stereo.

Stereo is an illusion.

H9

In your enthusiasm for SDA you omit one extremely important thing.

There is no actual "Real life event" in the vast majority of recordings.
    They are mostly studio created from bits and parts and each part has is own placement and ambiance added electronically.

Are you trying to say that something with an artificial sound stage can be improved, when there was no actual imaging and sound stage to begin with?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    And they're off!
    py6lkwkhk4xp.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I would love to hear what the Nitty Gritty Dirt bands "Will the Circle be Unbroken" sounds like with an SDA. This is an early country / bluegrass classic where the sessions were recorded in one take and everyone was playing acoustic instruments (mostly Banjo an guitar). These were rather raw recordings and it is clear there was no mixing or overdubs. Just get some people in the studio, get them talking and record everything one take.

When I want to demonstrate imaging to someone this is the album I get out. I tell them to close their eyes and point to where everyone was standing in relation to each other. Even newbies get it right.

There is one track that is interesting. Its not in Mono and you can still clearly hear the imaging but everyone is playing left of center! I guess they had the wrong mike on when they were recording. The fact that they didn't fix it shows they were not messing around with mixing.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    I see someone didn't read the explanation of what SDA is. Once again, it is not an effect. Non-SDA stereo speakers would be more accurately described as having an effect.

Non-SDA speakers are used in virtually every recording mastering and mixing studio, therefore soundstage and stereo effects are optimized in house for normal non-SDA speakers.

Your comments are based on sales literature and the "White paper" from Polk and are in conflict with real world experiences with recording, mixing and mastering personnel.

The Polk white paper ignores certain facts about how actual recordings are made over the last 4-5 decades and instead concentrates on a theoretical recording style that has the listener sitting in the middle of a concert hall, and hearing the sound and scope of the hall itself.

Since almost all recordings are completely created in studio, and the resultant sound stage and stereo effect are done with normal speakers, similar to what is used in home, the SDA effect may be quite enjoyable, fun and even sound better, but it will never be a more accurate representation of what the recording engineer intended.

It's laughable that you think 2 channel stereo is the correct way to reproduce life like sound. It's not, It's incredibly flawed. SDA's provide a way to correct a few of the blatant flaws in the 2 channel mix down of a multi faceted real life event. Our ears and brains are much more sophisticated than to settle for a 2 channel mix down.

Also SDA IS a much more realistic and accurate presentation of the real life event, not stereo. Engineers can be incredibily heavy handed in mixing and mastering for a single particular attribute. Think of them as the same as a photographer using photo-shop to manipulate their photo's for the intended final result. Not realistic at all, but altered, manipulated to produce an intended outcome other than the real thing.

Are SDA's perfectly recreating the real event, no, but they are much closer than the same played in 2 channel stereo.

Stereo is an illusion.

H9

They are mostly studio created from bits and parts and each part has is own placement and ambiance added electronically.

Are you trying to say that something with an artificial sound stage can be improved, when there was no actual imaging and sound stage to begin with?

Your splitting hairs for the sake of arguing. A "real life event" can be numerous things. Ever been to a jazz club ? No speakers, just instruments playing.

Since the reproduction of music means different things to different people, it's pretty silly to argue which way of recording musical events is better than another. What matters to most, I would think anyway, is the final product.....the final sound one achieves that's agreeable to that individual. What moves one may not move another.

It's been my observation over the years that too many times we like to categorize things audio related. It's always been about enjoying music, however and whatever that means to you. You like listening on a Hello Kitty boombox, knock your socks off. Some like giant super expensive systems to raise the hair on their necks, all cool too. Most fall somewhere in between. Matters not if you use SDA's, or some other brand. Matters not the format, how it was recorded, as long as it blows your skirt up, roll with it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ^^^^^^It sounds heavenly.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    DSkip wrote: »

Everything falls short. I hate this statement so much regardless of who says it. That's like baking a frozen pizza and saying it isn't as good as what you had in Chicago.
    Not to change the topic, but the cardboard box of a frozen pizza tastes better than anything I had in Chicago.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    tonyb wrote: »
    Your splitting hairs for the sake of arguing.

+1. Hijacking threads and looking for any possible excuse to argue gets really old.

SDA eliminates an artifact of stereo speakers. That's it. Please stop trying to spin this.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • nooshinjohn
    h8fsqv0htdxm.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2017

Stereo is an illusion.

H9

So your saying Abby Road, Stargroves, Olympic Studio, Sun Records, Headley Grange, Polar Studios and a plethora of other recording studio spaces that all have their own sound are exactly the same, cookie cutter recording places that have zero influence on the "real" musicians, playing "real" instruments. It's all in the mixing and mastering illusion that creates the sound? So they could record in the bathroom and it would all sound the same?

As an exercise look up Led Zeppelin - Headley Grange - When the Levee Breaks and tell me the real life event doesn't have a sound of its own that no engineer could recreate. They tried and tried and failed to "create" this sound in the studio. That recording sounds much more realistic on SDA's then it does on any other speaker I've heard to date.

Your thoughts on this subject are your own illusion since they have no basis in reality.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited August 2017

I totally get the "real world" concert setting and how it could work better, but it loses me totally with studio created music, which never had any true imaging to begin with.

This is a great point about the in studio music creation process. The recording engineer(s) are as important to the end product as are the artists. They assemble various aspects of a music track, including levels and placement in the final mix "sound stage." Claiming that any brand of speakers does better at giving a "live" performance effect when the performance is an artificial in studio creation is a bit ridiculous.

Good for Polk that they have built speakers and powered subs that work great in and are designed for different size listening rooms. But even with the largest of SDA speakers placed in 400 plus sq ft rooms playing a studio mastered "live" performance, this still falls far short of going to a live concert. The Cal Jam concert at the Ontario speedway comes to mind. That event covered many acres of property with close to a half million people in attendance. The best these live recordings do is give a flavor of the event.

Idris-Elba.gif

tenor.gif
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

Why are you lost? SDA has the effect ability of rendering ordinary, studio-created recordings into extraordinary sound images.
    You said earlier that you loved your 3.1s, yet still continue to wonder about the "SDA effect", so which is it?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    She's trying to be a contrarian, just like always. She changes her "tune" all the time just to state the opposite of what's being discussed. I see the pattern too, it's not difficult to understand why she posts.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    It is used today in Polk's surround bars and their new upcoming SDA speakers.

Jesse,
    Do you have any insight that you can share on when this might happen?
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • nooshinjohn
    New SDA's have been mentioned in several cryptic posts and such over the last year or do. Whatever has been discussed privately has to remain so.

This discussion has been closed.