Want to stick my toe in the "power cord" pool...

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Always!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Now this has me thinking...is my setup good enough to warrant an upgrade in form of a power cable? Im running b&k gear through 1.2tls, what do you guys think?

Do it, and build your own. I doubt you'll regret it.

Either consult @helipilotdoug by PMing him or going to his website for his business Douglas Connection. He'll give you sound advice and a 10% discount just for being a member of Club Polk!

Or, if it fits your budget, purchase a sufficient length of Furutech FP-3T762 power cable and a Wattgate Evo plugs and build your own. Of course, there are lots of other options that are more or less costly, but I'm tempted to build a couple of power cords out of these materials now because I've convinced myself that I need them! :)

I built several of my own power cords with the best components I could fit within my budget and received the benefits of better sound quality and satisfaction with having done the work. I also had little choice about building my own for my preamp, DAC and transport because of the peculiarities of my installation.

Good luck!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I think I have a few older Shunyata's laying around, let me check.

I apologize, but, I misspoke. I have several older Tributaries power cables laying around. A 3footer, 2 6 fwet and 2 12 foot 15 amp, probably 12 guage cables. If you're interested PM me and I'll sell them pretty darn cheap.vrw2t9her2lq.jpg
  • EndersShadow

I apologize, but, I misspoke. I have several older Tributaries power cables laying around. A 3footer, 2 6 fwet and 2 12 foot 15 amp, probably 12 guage cables. If you're interested PM me and I'll sell them pretty darn cheap.vrw2t9her2lq.jpg

Wowsa. Wish I had a few extra bucks so I could snatch the lot lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Pm sent
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • kharp1
    I'm not sure on my pricing as I can't recall what I paid for them so let me know if you think they're out of line.

12ft $100 each
    6ft $75 each
    3ft. $50

$325 for all of them.

If you think I'm out of line on price let me know.

Kerry
  • kharp1
    $rednedtugent was first to respond with interest in a 12ft

@rooftop59 2nd
    @EndersShadow 3rd
    @Gerres26 4th
    @pitdogg2 5th

These were part of a purchase I made and we're basically a little "gravy" thrown over top for only a little more money.

I will gift these one per respondent in order mentioned above. You pay for shipping. Respond with the one size you'd like and I'll give my PP info. PP gift it and the cords are yours.

Kerry
  • kharp1
    On the flexibility scale they aren't as flexible as the AC-3, however, they are more flexible than Pangea.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Thats pretty awesome!! I was looking for a 6footer myself...pm sent again
  • kharp1
    Went to FedEx today and will have to try USPS tomorrow.
  • kharp1
    All the cords got mailed out today via FedEx ground. Should arrive either Thursday or Friday depending on your location. Enjoy.
  • EndersShadow
    All the cords got mailed out today via FedEx ground. Should arrive either Thursday or Friday depending on your location. Enjoy.

Thank you sir. I'm thinking about throwing something out on the forum as a Karma in response to your generosity.
  • kharp1

Thank you sir. I'm thinking about throwing something out on the forum as a Karma in response to your generosity.

A McIntosh MC275???
  • kharp1
    I just upchucked
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited August 2017
    Is that like upfunding a night on the town of drinking? :*
    I just upchucked

It's all coming together
    toe in power cord pool | Russ's toe nails | Electricity | darker black paint

• EndersShadow

A McIntosh MC275???

LOL... sorry my gear closet isnt that full of goodies....

Will start a Karma thread on it here in a bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Time to rethink my power set up...
    :)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Good fir you, thanks for the update.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I received the MIT AC-1 from Greg several days ago, but due to a hectic work schedule at the moment, didn't get time to implement it and listen until last night.

I will cut right to the chase and say yes - I CAN hear a difference. It is subtle, but it is undeniable. I swapped back and forth several times, to verify what I was hearing, and it is there. Specifically, the opening of Fleetwood Mac's Gold Dust Woman, when the cymbal joins the tambourine - the separation between the two sounds is greatly improved with the MIT cord. Also, on Chris Rea's Road to Hell, the space around his voice in the opening, and the clarity of the bass guitar in pt2 are very much improved with the MIT.

This is difficult for me to admit, because I have been a d**k on the issue of power cords in the past. I guess it just comes down to the fact that just because it doesn't make sense, or I can't explain it, doesn't mean it's not there. I hereby apologize to anyone that I may have offended in the past, with my narrow-minded views. And as always, thank you for the guidance and advice. I will be upgrading the rest of my cords as finances allow. Much more listening to come!

For what it's worth, I have found the biggest audio improvement cable wise has been from power cords and power conditioning gear. At first this was just a WTF insight, but as I have learned more I more I realize it makes sense. Basically, it is the ability to deal with instantaneous current, and noise filtration.

Read the Shunyata technical articles to learn more.

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/support/faqs

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/support/technical-articles/2017-technology-guide

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/support/videos
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I received the MIT AC-1 from Greg several days ago, but due to a hectic work schedule at the moment, didn't get time to implement it and listen until last night.

I will cut right to the chase and say yes - I CAN hear a difference. It is subtle, but it is undeniable. I swapped back and forth several times, to verify what I was hearing, and it is there. Specifically, the opening of Fleetwood Mac's Gold Dust Woman, when the cymbal joins the tambourine - the separation between the two sounds is greatly improved with the MIT cord. Also, on Chris Rea's Road to Hell, the space around his voice in the opening, and the clarity of the bass guitar in pt2 are very much improved with the MIT.

This is difficult for me to admit, because I have been a d**k on the issue of power cords in the past. I guess it just comes down to the fact that just because it doesn't make sense, or I can't explain it, doesn't mean it's not there. I hereby apologize to anyone that I may have offended in the past, with my narrow-minded views. And as always, thank you for the guidance and advice. I will be upgrading the rest of my cords as finances allow. Much more listening to come!

Keep an open mind, try a few different things along the way and you'll expand your musical enjoyment. Too many have closed minds, closed opinions on what will have an effect on their sound. Everything matters in the chain, to some degree.

Kudo's to you for trying, even if you didn't hear a difference at least you tried, and that is the name of the game.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Exactly, you tried it and it made a difference to your ears and that is all that matters. I too, learned from this forum that AC cords make a difference even when I thought, nah... they can't. Yes, they can.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Dammit! I didn't need to read this. Especially since I've discovered that good (read expensive) interconnects and speaker cables do in fact make an audible difference.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    DSkip wrote: »
    ...Now, how do you feel about digital cables? >:)

There's no way a digital cable can make a difference - I mean it's just passing 1s and 0s, right? Right...? :smile:

Seriously, my mind is open to the possibility now - my wallet thanks you...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I have both entry level Wireworld and Pangea. After I'm done with the speaker cable tour I could send you one or both to try out if you want so you'd only be out shipping if you don't think they're worth it. Offer is on the table.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    Pm sent.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• kharp1
    DSkip wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense and now maybe with an open mind you can understand it more. Kudos to you for admitting the results honestly.

I too didn't want them to make a difference but I would be lying to myself if I said they didn't. It's undeniable once you hear it.

Now, how do you feel about digital cables? >:)

Skip, I was prepared to resell the Wireworld cables I purchased from you at a loss just so I could say I had tried them and finally could say with 100% certainty that they didn't really make much difference. I liked them so much I upgraded the IC's to the next level.

It's nice when you discover something new that helps open up your system.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    On a side note, I've never liked the term 'noise' when it comes to audio. The perception is that it is something you can hear. It is actually quite the opposite. You never hear it, but it's damned clear when it's gone that it was there.

You have to remember that a lot of older guys here don't have the hearing acuity of someone like you with young ears. Unfortunately, it happens to all of us. Super tweeters? Ya, right.