Polk S20's

Upstatemax
Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
I decided to pick up a set of S20's for my basement/ workshop...

I'm not going to go into too much detail since they are basically a background speaker for me when I'm getting stuff done, but I did take some time with them.

To me, they are standard Polk. Don't have a ton of musical detail and soundstage presence and have an overly inflated bottom end that make them sound like they are trying too hard. But for a workshop, they will do fine.

I was getting frustrated with the overly emphasized bottom end and I decided to remove the "power port" on the back of the speakers to see of that calmed them down a bit. It did balance them a bit more.

Far better balance and it took away some of the "boomy" aspects of the speaker. Still a bit heavy on the bottom end for me, I like a properly balanced speaker, but much better.

I use an old Marantz receiver for power and my iPhone as a source (ALAC rips). I might bring them up to the HT for a tour, just to see how they stack up the to the Focal's...

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    How close do you have them to the back wall?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    About 14" off the wall .

I'll be honest, this is NOT the best set up I can come up with. For that I have other options...

But it feels like I just rewound all the way back to the LSi 9's that tried too hard to be a full range speaker.

Again, for the system I'm using them in, 100% fine.
  • Upstatemax
    Hey Skip,

I've got about 40 hours on them at the moment. Not what I consider "broken in".

But I usually have a decent feel for the speaker. I'm actually worried that the bottom end will open up some more!

I have an old Marantz "NR" series receiver powering them. Again, not nearly my best effort, but not terrible either.

I do want to see what they can do when put into a larger room and more power.

My wife and kids are out of town through Monday, maybe I'll play around!
  • Upstatemax
    I'm fully aware the equipment might be part of the problem. But the part that makes me a but nervous is that many of the people shopping for this speaker will be driving them off of similar level equipment, not a Dayens Ampino...

I'll slowly upgrade the equipment in the workroom, but it's not really a focus for me.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Simple idea...free too...why not go into the AVRs settings...there's a tone control menu there somewhere, knock the bass back a notch or two. Can't hurt for a garage system.

Fixed.
  • msg
    edited August 2017
    So about 14" from the back wall - how about sides and front? I had an issue not too long ago with speaker/rack crowding. I had a set of speakers sitting in between another set and a stand/cabinet in the middle. Even though I had adequate room behind, and had them even with the front edges of outboard speakers and the center cabinet, it wasn't until I pulled them out in front of the other speakers and cabinet in that they sounded less muffled/squished. Probably had about a foot or a little more between these speakers and the other components. To me, I think this was my first experience where it occurred to me that the speakers may not have had adequate room to breathe, and I just didn't notice how bad it was until spending more time with the outboard speakers and then pulling out the ones "inside" to give them some room.

Curious about the receiver you're using, as well. Which model is that, anyway?

I have to wonder whether most prospective owners would be using a sub or going straight 2ch with these. I found them to do nicely in straight 2ch with a decent front end and a few placement considerations. I can see how they might sound boomy though, but that wasn't my experience with them at all, in fact, I found it a bit lighter in the bottom end than what I was used to.

I'm curious to hear more about the placement and AVR model specs, just for the sake of performance comparison given the differences in our experiences.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I know with the LSiM-703's, I was rather disappointed at first until they had broken in for quite some time, maybe even a couple hundred hours but now I really like them. Almost sold them shortly after purchase. Would've been a big mistake considering what they cost me. I'd give the S20's more break-in time as well.
  • Upstatemax
    They are hooked up to a Marantz NR series receiver. I want to say it's a NR1501...

I got it from a buddy when my old Denon kicked the bucket and he told me to keep it for a "rainy day" so I put it into service for the workroom when I decided I needed something down there.

Space on the side and above is pretty open and not constricted. One side has some stuff about 8" away and the other side is fairly open.

I think with a sub the speakers would be far better. When asked to run full range, they just seem to way over emphasize the bass. I might have an extra sub I can throw in the mix and see how it goes. First I'll bring them up the HT and see how they compare to the Focal's. With a FAR better receiver and subs in the mix.
  • msg
    Man. Crazy. I was really expecting you to say they were facing the wrong way in a bookshelf full of old dusty Bibles or something.

There isn't a loudness feature turned on in the receiver is there?
    Tone all zero'd out? Is this one of those digital units that you can execute a factory reset on, or is it all knobs?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    I have it set to "Source Direct" (should defeat all tone controls) and I had all the other stuff turned off to begin with.

I might hook a TV up to it soon and double check all settings. But I've really NEVER used tone controls in any of my systems/components...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I have it set to "Source Direct" (should defeat all tone controls) and I had all the other stuff turned off to begin with.

I might hook a TV up to it soon and double check all settings. But I've really NEVER used tone controls in any of my systems/components...

There's your problem. AVR's sound like crap without the calibration/processing engaged.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    F1nut wrote: »
    There's your problem. AVR's sound like crap without the calibration/processing engaged.

I've had other speakers hooked up to this receiver without this issue.

• msg
    RePORTED!
    (I'm practicing cherrypicking)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I have S20's running off a SR5010. I do have a good sub in the mix but I find them to be a very nice speaker.

For most of my afternoon unwinds I will just DLNA some MP's at it (to lazy to get the CD from downstairs) and have it in AFD mode, direct doesn't sound too good.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    @msg is an arsehule....Ken @nbrowser says so.

But! Don't discount them yet.
    When I get back home. I want to have a monoblock-bookie showdown between the S20, some old and new KEF, doo-daa-day......
    We'll see what happens.
  • Upstatemax
    mrloren wrote: »
    I have S20's running off a SR5010. I do have a good sub in the mix but I find them to be a very nice speaker.

For most of my afternoon unwinds I will just DLNA some MP's at it (to lazy to get the CD from downstairs) and have it in AFD mode, direct doesn't sound too good.

I think the sub is an important part of the mix for these. Makes sure they are not trying to play too low.

Direct mode usually shuts of the subs, so that makes sense...

Do your subs shut down when in direct?
  • mrloren
    mrloren wrote: »

I think the sub is an important part of the mix for these. Makes sure they are not trying to play too low.

Direct mode usually shuts of the subs, so that makes sense...

Do your subs shut down when in direct?

No the sub stays on in direct I have it set to LFE+Main. When streaming MP3 from my PC to the Marantz I get the best sound when in AFD. Now CD are better in direct mode. Then again I listen to most CD downstairs on my main system with the S60.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    msg wrote: »
    RePORTED!
    (I'm practicing cherrypicking)

And doing a stellar job.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I stumbled on this thread. I'm curious how the s20's compare to their M4 / M5jr cousins. Even M5jr+ 2nd cousins could count if you only compare the lower midrange and up.
  • Upstatemax
    pkquat wrote: »
    I stumbled on this thread. I'm curious how the s20's compare to their M4 / M5jr cousins. Even M5jr+ 2nd cousins could count if you only compare the lower midrange and up.

I personally have no experience with those to make the comparison.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and offer an opinion...
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    I’ve been playing with a pair of S20 and also feel they are bass-heavy in the spots I’ve tested them, which are:

1) In garage, on shelves in corners near ceiling: the S20 sound very bass-heavy vs. Monitor 7C in this same position. The S20 bass overwhelms the presentation. The powerport cage is only a few inches from the wall and there is significant boundary reinforcement from proximity to walls and ceiling.

2) In large, unfinished part of basement with back of speakers around 12” from rear wall and no corners within 10’ (tweeters at ear level when standing): the S20 bass is still a bit overwhelming in this large open space, away from corners. I should be able to get the back of the speakers about 18” from the rear wall, and will give that a test. I usually have a pair of Klipsch Forte or JBL LS80 in this spot (swap them in and out) - the S20 are noticeably more bass-heavy and not as balanced because of this, which is crazy given that they bookshelf speakers vs. the large floorstanding Klipsch and JBL.

From what I’ve experienced so far, I think the S20 will need a lot of breathing room to not sound bass-heavy in a 2.0 ch context.

5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • Upstatemax
    Well, now Crutchfield dropped the price by $50 (down to $249.99).

After my rewards points that I turned in and the price drop, I basically got them for nothing...

What is the best way to restrict a port?

I don't want to plug it, but I want to experiment with the speaker. The port on these things are comically large...

I think the guy that designed the port on them is probably the same guy that is responsible for drawing eyes for anime characters.
  • Upstatemax
    I did not think about spikes...

I was contemplating some of the sorbothane hemisphere things though. Any experience with them, Skip?
  • msg
    Hey Max, so how'd this turn out for you?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    @msg , they are fine for the workshop.

I ended up borrowing a more powerful amp from a family member that had one sitting around and that helped. Still a bit bloated for my taste, but better control of the woofer.

Then I went against everything that I stand for and used tone controls to dial the low frequency back and i'm in a happy place.

Once I replace the amp in my 2ch system I'll be bringing the HCA-1500A down to this system and I want to hear how that goes.

I gave them a workout as I did some maintenance on my Fox forks on the bikes and I'm happy with how they are dialed in right now.
  • msg
    Nice, glad to hear you got settled with them, somewhat.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

I ended up borrowing a more powerful amp from a family member that had one sitting around and that helped. Still a bit bloated for my taste, but better control of the woofer.

Then I went against everything that I stand for and used tone controls to dial the low frequency back and i'm in a happy place.

Once I replace the amp in my 2ch system I'll be bringing the HCA-1500A down to this system and I want to hear how that goes.

I gave them a workout as I did some maintenance on my Fox forks on the bikes and I'm happy with how they are dialed in right now.

Well, it is a workshop after all. I use a Bluetooth speaker in my garage/workshop, so I would love slightly bloated s20s!

Plus, the target audience for these is going to be using them with a AVR with calibration, which will also help if there is a midbass hump in one’s particular room. As this price point, I don’t think these are aimed at the 2 channel audiophile lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Well, it is a workshop after all. I use a Bluetooth speaker in my garage/workshop, so I would love slightly bloated s20s!

Plus, the target audience for these is going to be using them with a AVR with calibration, which will also help if there is a midbass hump in one’s particular room. As this price point, I don’t think these are aimed at the 2 channel audiophile lol...

If no one is home I'll just crank up my main system :) other than that I have no shop tunes.
  • Upstatemax
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Absolutely. If these were for a dedicated 2ch system they would have been sent back.

As I said before, I DO NOT expect these to stack up to my 2ch system. But I was disappointed with balance of this speaker.

I don't think I will keep these long term.

I plan on some new speakers in the HT, in time. When I do replace the HT speakers, I will be moving a pair of the Focal 806V's in and I'm very certain that I will be able to eliminate the tone controls and enjoy my overkill workshop system...

My goal was to make a reasonably priced system for my basement. I'm happy with it at this point.

• Just returned my S20. Was going to use it in a 2.1 system in a small-ish media room and just found them too boomy and kind of mushy. No way I could have had them even 12" from the wall in my setup.

I was running them with a Yamaha WXA-50 in direct mode (I think that's what it was called with just flat audio, no EQ applied). Even tried setting the speakers as compact speakers instead of bookshelf speakers in the Yamaha's settings and that didn't help.