Going Digital finally...

Not giving up the turntable, but I have acquired the venerable McIntosh MS-750 music server. It should be home in about a week. I will be transferring my cd collection over to it over the coming months and comparing them to the Pioneer D9 MkII. Pictures and impressions to follow.

Once again, I will NoT be opening a karma for the turntable.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    $4...Had to beat Russ ..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Dibs on the mk2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I'll take the CD's!

I keep fighting what seems to be the inevitable.
    Hope you share the pains and successes.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    DSkip wrote: »
    Hey John, why did you choose that unit? I'm curious what exactly sold you on it given its age and limitations compared to modern units.

I'm gonna guess he got it for a steal :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Hey John, why did you choose that unit? I'm curious what exactly sold you on it given its age and limitations compared to modern units.

Good guess.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow

Good guess.

I know you well John :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    That begs another thing to ponder, just because something is a good deal, doesn't mean it sounds the best or is the best fit for a rig?

We all want to be economically smart with purchases. It seems digital technology moves pretty fast so buying older products may or may not give the best result. I know I was surprised at what some of the new chipsets have to offer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • EndersShadow
    ^gonna be selling your Keces units are ya :wink:
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Very cool John. Just be patient. digital can be glitchy to get it the way you want but once you do it will sound as good or better then spinning a CD.

And hanging on to your turntable is a good idea. You can't beat the sound of a good recorded album. ;)
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'll take the CD's!

I keep fighting what seems to be the inevitable.
    Hope you share the pains and successes.

I want some, got any Barry Manilow?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    If John applies the same diligence to digital as he does his vinyl, he'll be just peachy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable