Turntables

Options

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I realize there is some history with sone folks and K_M but I feel like the comments about the postings in this thread are kind of piling on. I disagree with the comment about LP's having worse recordimgs, unless you take in to account how many more pieces of vinyl that have been produced in comparison to CD's. You may come across more bad recordings simply because there has been more vinyl produced, and, many from a time when recording technology was in its infancy. That being said, CD's have many, many bad recordings aa well.

I'm no beginner to audio as I worked in a hi-fi shop many years ago and have had a long love affair with audii equipment, but, there are things I don't know as well as others...and a good vinyl setup is one of them. I also know that one of the best sounds I've ever heard was through a Linn-Sondek tt, Kelll monoblocks through SDA-SRS's. I know some recordings sound better on vinyl than cd, and, vice versa. I don't want to reproduce my entire cd collection on vinyl, but, I do want to start with the 20-25 albums that I feel are better suited to vinyl.

I appreciate all the info here and am leaning towards finding a moderate priced good used tt, preferably with a good cart/stylus and use the Carver's phono stage for now. I'm in no hurry and am willing to wait for the right thing to appear.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    qkfb898w6ce9.jpg

Fairchild.
    Not mine (unfortunately) but, in all seriousness, about as good as it gets.

• kharp1
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    qkfb898w6ce9.jpg

Fairchild.

OK, can I get that for about $2k? B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    nope; not like the one in the photo at any rate; arm & cartridge'll set you back that much (at least).
    Sorry.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I also know that one of the best sounds I've ever heard was through a Linn-Sondek tt, Kelll monoblocks through SDA-SRS's.

Which mono blocks? My friend Ed the SRT king has four MDA-500's. That's when Krell took a KSA-250 stereo amp and made it into mono block. IIRC back in the day they would convert your stereo amp for free if you bought a mono block.

The Linn LP12 has quite a history. From soggy and warm to dryer and tighter. I had one in the '86 range. There are folks dedicated to their serial number sound preferences though. The Itock arms were improved as well. They were referred to as tick-tocks. The bearings were easily damaged with rough handling.

An interesting thing, the suspension springs required turning to find the best clock position combination for the suspension to work properly while centering the arm board in its opening. I actually made a service stand for mine rather than use stacked books on a table or two chairs back to back. Once you tuned it properly it was good for many years.

tec9q51kbbm3.jpg

I also had an inexpensive fix for the lid hinges. The leg of the tension springs would break through the plastic. I cut the shanks off some 3/32 drill bits, drilled holes through the hinges and recaptured the spring with the cut to length smooth shanks. I took some old floppy disks and cut plastic patches to cover the broken plastic. Saved $40+ and prevented it from happening again.

1972, LP12 turntable introduced.
    1974, Main bearing liner changed. Sub-chassis strengthened by addition of strap, spot welded in place. Motor control circuit changed from terminal strip to small PCB. Mains switch changed from two buttons to single with mains neon. [s/n 2,000]
    1978, Top plate modified adding two holes for 6 x 0.5 self tappers into wood block. [23,000]
    1979, Lid prop removed, hinges changed to spring loading. [27,000]
    1981, February. Nirvana mechanical components. [32,826]
    1982, May. Valhalla crystal-driven electronic power supply made standard. [38,794]
    1984, Enlarged plinth corner bracing. [53,000]
    1984, June. Sub-chassis strengthening bar epoxy glued instead of spot welded. [54,101]
    1985, August. Cap head screws on bearing housing. [60,383]
    1985, September. Diode modification to Valhalla board [61,090]
    1985, December. Strengthening blocks on corners of plinth.
    1986, May. New clear lid.
    1986, Suspension springs improved.
    1987, March. New bearing housing, New Formica and MDF armboard. [69,161]
    1987, April. New springs. [69,591]
    1987, Bearing improved with better lining material and tighter tolerances. Change to black oil. Suspension springs ground to improved tolerance. Arm board composition improved. [70,000]
    1989, Motor thrust pad changed. Valhalla surge guard modification. PCB mains lead (UK). [79,700]
    1989, New MDF armboard, laminated top and bottom. [79,160]
    1989, Harder suspension grommets fitted. [81,000]
    1990, External Lingo power supply available as add-on.
    1991, motor thrust pad cap added to Lingo models. [87,047]
    1991, Valhalla board prototype with 45RPM (never went into production, codename "Wakonda") [87,047]
    1991, motor thrust pad cap added to Valhalla models. [87,206]
    1991, Introduction of LP12 Basik, a stripped down version of the turntable [87,672]
    1991, Solid base board replaces hardboard. [87,672]
    1991, Trampolin base board with isolating feet available as an option [87,672].
    1992, Improved top plate fixing. [88,950]
    1993, Cirkus upgrade (larger and better machined inner platter and new bearing, new springs, armboard, belt) fitted as standard. [90,582]
    1997, a limited edition commemorative LP12 was created to mark the 25th anniversary of the LP12. Amongst other features, it bears a plaque etched with the signature of Linn's founder Ivor Tiefenbrun.
    2000, 4th bolt added near motor on top plate, fitted as standard. Required extra cross beam on plinth.
    2001, New motor used (first new motor since original 1972).
    2002, Maple plinth introduced adding to existing black, walnut, rosewood and afromosia options.
    2013, Full-spec limited-edition (40 in all) 40th anniversary LP12, plinth made from oak casks from Highland Park distillery, priced at £25,000.[21]

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I realize there is some history with sone folks and K_M but I feel like the comments about the postings in this thread are kind of piling on. I disagree with the comment about LP's having worse recordimgs, unless you take in to account how many more pieces of vinyl that have been produced in comparison to CD's. You may come across more bad recordings simply because there has been more vinyl produced, and, many from a time when recording technology was in its infancy. That being said, CD's have many, many bad recordings aa well.

I'm no beginner to audio as I worked in a hi-fi shop many years ago and have had a long love affair with audii equipment, but, there are things I don't know as well as others...and a good vinyl setup is one of them. I also know that one of the best sounds I've ever heard was through a Linn-Sondek tt, Kelll monoblocks through SDA-SRS's. I know some recordings sound better on vinyl than cd, and, vice versa. I don't want to reproduce my entire cd collection on vinyl, but, I do want to start with the 20-25 albums that I feel are better suited to vinyl.

I appreciate all the info here and am leaning towards finding a moderate priced good used tt, preferably with a good cart/stylus and use the Carver's phono stage for now. I'm in no hurry and am willing to wait for the right thing to appear.

Maybe I am misunderstand your comment, but I said CD tends to have worse masterings, maybe partially based on the master tapes being physically old and so on, so often a record of something from "Back then" has an added advantage of the master tape being in top notch condition, and now 50 years later, it is not quite the same.

One example I found personally.
    Laugh if you will, but the Herb Alpert records we inherited, sounded a decent bit better than the CD versions.
    There was just something missing with the CD versions, and with headphones I started to hear there were numerous tape dropouts on the CD version, that were totally absent on the original 60s records we inherited.
    The treble seemed slightly distorted on the CD also, but again thinking master tape issues.

So for fun, I transferred one of the old records to digital and found it was better than my CD version.

Now wonder, if something truly old and in analog, can really be compared to a CD of the same title fairly, if the master tape is not truly in great condition?

The CD will often lose, but I think maybe due to master tape issues partially.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,451
    Options
    zf6nuu5uzq65.jpg
    Fairchild.
    I like that orange thing.

I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options

DIY!

00az4zlog1lv.jpg

mysaiyyphtne.jpg

hmdpc8gwjcl6.jpg

bo4ke80yeb72.jpg

zcof503xxphk.jpg

sif31v9954w1.jpg

oqqcbkveyf07.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • msg
    Options
    Only you, Rich, only you :)
    I'm a relatively logical/mechanically inclined/handy dude, but man some of the finer pointery you take to... well... man, you kill me with this knowledge/innovation/fabrication sometimes B)
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    An interesting thing, the suspension springs required turning to find the best clock position combination for the suspension to work properly while centering the arm board in its opening. I actually made a service stand for mine rather than use stacked books on a table or two chairs back to back. Once you tuned it properly it was good for many years.
    o3ukn8z9a8ou.jpg

I also had an inexpensive fix for the lid hinges. The leg of the tension springs would break through the plastic. I cut the shanks off some 3/32 drill bits, drilled holes through the hinges and recaptured the spring with the cut to length smooth shanks. I took some old floppy disks and cut plastic patches to cover the broken plastic. Saved $40+ and prevented it from happening again.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options

DIY!

mysaiyyphtne.jpg

hmdpc8gwjcl6.jpg

bo4ke80yeb72.jpg

zcof503xxphk.jpg

sif31v9954w1.jpg

oqqcbkveyf07.jpg

Holy smokes dude, nice work!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My previous post was most definitely premature.
    I shoulda saved it for that DIY table.
    whaaat the... I got nuthin'.

How much does that thing weigh, Rich?
    Absolutely gorgeous work. Unbelievable.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

Maybe I am misunderstand your comment, but I said CD tends to have worse masterings, maybe partially based on the master tapes being physically old and so on, so often a record of something from "Back then" has an added advantage of the master tape being in top notch condition, and now 50 years later, it is not quite the same.

One example I found personally.
    Laugh if you will, but the Herb Alpert records we inherited, sounded a decent bit better than the CD versions.
    There was just something missing with the CD versions, and with headphones I started to hear there were numerous tape dropouts on the CD version, that were totally absent on the original 60s records we inherited.
    The treble seemed slightly distorted on the CD also, but again thinking master tape issues.

So for fun, I transferred one of the old records to digital and found it was better than my CD version.

Now wonder, if something truly old and in analog, can really be compared to a CD of the same title fairly, if the master tape is not truly in great condition?

The CD will often lose, but I think maybe due to master tape issues partially.

I have noticed this on literally every Herb Alpert recording I own (all of them, both vinyl and CD). Quite a noticeable difference in quality from LP (better) to CD (worse).

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    Options

DIY!

00az4zlog1lv.jpg

mysaiyyphtne.jpg

hmdpc8gwjcl6.jpg

bo4ke80yeb72.jpg

zcof503xxphk.jpg

sif31v9954w1.jpg

oqqcbkveyf07.jpg

Holy sh..! That's some nice work!!!
  • kharp1
    Options
    I don't recall what amps we they were running at the time, but it was '86 or '87. I know the SRS's hadn't been out long. Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl on the SRS was incredible. Hearing the clocks individually spaced and suspended on Time was an awakening. Still to this day one of the most memorable listening experiences I've ever had.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    edited August 2017
    Options
    These days they are doing the same brick walling to LPs as they have been doing to CDs.. older recordings from 70s not nearly like today. Some of the 80s LPs were so thin you could practically see through them. They flopped like a wet noodle.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    My recollection of many 80s pop records was thin and bright/harsh sound. This
    memory is reinforced by the - ahem - more than a few 80s pop/'rock' records that have accumulated (in many cases, by unclear means) in the basement here.

• kharp1
    Options
    My recollection of many 80s pop records was thin and bright/harsh sound. This
    memory is reinforced by the - ahem - more than a few 80s pop/'rock' records that have accumulated (in many cases, by unclear means) in the basement here.

You mean you didn't intend to by that A-Ha or Kajagoogoo album??
  • msg
    Options
    Hey! Watch iiiiit! I had that A-Ha single in 6th grade!
    My J.A. brother stole all my good records!
    You know, like Europe, and Pseudo Echo, doing Funkytown. Which I still joke him for pronouncing it Pun-Sway-do Echo. That's what he gets.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kharp1
    Options
    Yeah, I had the A-ha album myself. Dressed like Duran Duran, hair like Rod Stewart...I thought I was something!
  • kharp1
    Options
    I've got a line on a Pioneer PL-530 with a Pickering XV-15/625E . Have seen pics and looks in great shape and he states the cart/stylus and brush are all in great condition with a lot of life left. In the $300 range. Going to look at it Saturday.
  • kharp1
    Options
    I did, now it's all on my back!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Anyone have experience with Pro-Ject tables?
  • kharp1
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »

Nah, don't want a project...I want something that's "turn key." You know, something ready to go as is.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

Pro-Ject Debut III
    Last time I heard it.....bliss
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Pro-Ject Debut III

Really!? I just was checking prices, and that model isn't expensive at all ($299+free shipping from Music Direct). It's almost there bottom tier unit. Do you remember the stylis it was running?
  • kharp1
    Options
    I've read several different blogs and articles about entry level tables and they all have fairly high praise for the Music Hall, Pro-Ject, Rega, Clearaudio, and Sota as being able to hold their own especially considering the money spent.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Pro-Ject Debut III

Really!? I just was checking prices, and that model isn't expensive at all ($299+free shipping from Music Direct). It's almost there bottom tier unit. Do you remember the stylis it was running?

For the life of me...I can't. Stocker stylus.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I did, now it's all on my back!

I've got a pretty nice crop sprouting out my ears now, too :(