This place is dead

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    K_M wrote: »

The part you guys are not "digesting" is that Many older members are the actual ones that wanted the forum to change, and how the behavour was to change.

They would NOT post their true feelings openly in the forum as I do.
    You are making a huge assumption that everyone that has been here a while all agrees and is of the same mindset.
    100% horse hockey
    Yet you want us to believe these folks reached out to you to do what? bridge the gap?
    You reached to me once in a PM several times actually. Just what did i say? Print it i don't care. IIRC I said there were times when it could get crazy but why let it bother you, let it go its just not worth worrying about. Heck my brother says just ludicrous stuff i don't agree on am i suppose to change him? NO !!!
    From that time to now several of those you were besties with have been FLUSHED GONE. One would look inward i would think to reevaluate the situation.
    Keep treading.
    Funny this thread started because Jesse, Ryan and I on Friday night noticed there were just us 3 here. Now you go and start rehashing all this stuff from the past several threads that you and another got closed down
    Is that your end game here? Good grief lady pull the string parachute to your safe place
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    gmcman wrote: »
    . Most of the posts are by people that are Yamaha AVR enthusiasts, not people that think all AVRs/2 channel receivers suck.

Sorry, but I think that's putting words in people's mouths as it is taken WAY out of context.

The "manual" that came with my Polk's (just the English part) was only a few pages long. On the other hand, I recently ordered a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060BL audio video receiver. Its manual is over 200 pages long. I should be able to get the receiver up and going in a few hours. Tweaking its controls and learning how to use it and set up shortcuts is much more complicated and time consuming than ordering and setting up speakers.

That's probably why the manual is larger.

You seem to be making it sound like Polk is "lacking" with their product manuals.

With what's been a hot topic recently, reading your entire post, it looks as if you're trying to "stir the pot". Sorry if that comes off as being "frank" but I don't see where you're trying to go with this.

Shirley you're not being Frank.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    tonyb wrote: »
    Great posts guys, from newer and older members.

KM,

F1NUT hit on it, and a reason you can't seem to digest, this forum isn't like any old forum. You want to treat it like it is, cry when it isn't, demand that it should be. It isn't special because a few crusty old geezers think they own the place, it's special because of the family atmosphere ALL members create. You don't get it yet, but those that do fit in quite well....and never regret it. The old Polk administration actually encouraged the family atmosphere, built product loyalty. Not so sure the new Polk administration recognizes the same values. F1nut already said much of that, and worth repeating in my view.

As Gospeltruth pointed out also, you have to listen more than you talk at first, get to know different personalities, styles. Much like starting a new job and trying to read the people you can talk to, and the ones you need to be careful around. I might suggest again, that if you think the forum is too abrasive, from "older members" too as you claim.....then the problem lies with your own personality faults rather than the forum. No forum can keep changing to address every quirky personality fault, learn the lay of the land and deal with it. It isn't hard to do, humans been doing it for thousands of years. Your not going to tell me it's all of a sudden too hard are you ?

The world doesn't change to be black and white as to not offend every persons quirks, how boring would that be ? Maybe that's a future you'd like, but not me, and not many others here.

I am going to say this one last time. It seems to be the part "you guys" are dancing around.

I express exactly what I think. I think that is much we agree on. I do not care when to quit nor know when to quit, as I decide that on my own. We agree on that?

The part you guys are not "digesting" is that Many older members are the actual ones that wanted the forum to change, and how the behavour was to change.

You are making a huge assumption that everyone that has been here a while all agrees and is of the same mindset.

So they went to you with their "true feelings "?
  • pitdogg2
    Just putting it out there
    In 2009 when i joined one member gave my some grief about my gear as the problem with my SDA's. It wasn't and none other than F1nut Jesse welcomed me aboard treated me like one if the gang from the get go. Over the years he has been a great help to me in more ways than one.
    Jesse is a huge asset to this forum PERIOD

There are others as well Brock, John, Dan, Tony and many more.

Ivan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

100% horse hockey
    Yet you want us to believe these folks reached out to you to do what? bridge the gap?
    You reached to me once in a PM several times actually. Just what did i say? Print it i don't care. IIRC I said there were times when it could get crazy but why let it bother you, let it go its just not worth worrying about. Heck my brother says just ludicrous stuff i don't agree on am i suppose to change him? NO !!!
    From that time to now several of those you were besties with have been FLUSHED GONE. One would look inward i would think to reevaluate the situation.
    Keep treading.
    Funny this thread started because Jesse, Ryan and I on Friday night noticed there were just us 3 here. Now you go and start rehashing all this stuff from the past several threads that you and another got closed down
    Is that your end game here? Good grief lady pull the string parachute to your safe place

Via Pm right after this post

K_M 9:44AM
    "Yet you want us to believe these folks reached out to you to do what? bridge the gap?"

Not to me, but to someone else. Nuff said, im moving on.

I am not PMing anyone to get them to agree, but simply to keep bickering out of the forum.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    The simple version: If you are confrontational, prepare to be confronted. I have never witnessed anyone get "driven out" of this forum, that didn't START the confrontation by trying to educate us old dumb guys on hi-fi. Usually it's associated with advanced audio concepts like cables, transports, influences on digital playback, etc. The problem is, new people generally only know what they have read; they don't have 3-4 decades of EXPERIENCE to understand what happens in the real world.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Imma get ALL CONFRONTATION on you @steveinaz ...... What you think about that!?!?!?!?!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2017

"Yet you want us to believe these folks reached out to you to do what? bridge the gap?"

I am not PMing anyone to get them to agree, but simply to keep bickering out of the forum.

Good Lord @K_M just flat out be transparent for once. Who are you referring to, both the person that SENT the PM's and the Ghost forum member that RECIEVED them. I'm tired of cloak and daggers with you as well.

Lets unmask some names here dang it. Just put it all out there rather than hiding behind "Well someone told me that a lot of someones have a problem with someone else on the forum.... I'm not naming names, but you know all the people I'm talking about"......

And while we are on the subject I want to ask you 2 questions directly.

1. Is this forum username shared between you and anyone else (spouse, friend, babysitter, etc). I seem to recall that MORE than one person is using your screen name. If this is true it may explain why its hard to read your personality in your posts.
    2. Have you ever been on this forum under another username, and if so, what was it and why do you not use it anymore

^Please note, I am in no way shape or form trying to be confrontational or start an argument, I'm simply asking 2 questions which I'd like the answers to for myself.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I find it interesting how many "veteran members" are disagreeing with K_M publicly.

Makes you wonder how much she says pure fiction...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The simple version: If you are confrontational, prepare to be confronted. I have never witnessed anyone get "driven out" of this forum, that didn't START the confrontation by trying to educate us old dumb guys on hi-fi. Usually it's associated with advanced audio concepts like cables, transports, influences on digital playback, etc. The problem is, new people generally only know what they have read; they don't have 3-4 decades of EXPERIENCE to understand what happens in the real world.

As the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know, you know?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    I will add only this to what @F1Nut and @txcoastal1 have said.

If one were to look in my phone today, the would see more forum member names of people on this forum than anything else.

I have had the privilege to meet the following members in the past few years due to get togethers both in my house or at others, up to and including LSAF:

@nooshinjohn, @indyhawg, @trav0810, @bored184, @kharp1, @txcoastal, @marvda1, @voltz, @dskip, @lightman1, @ZLTFUL, @02guy, @pitdogg2, @deronb1, @oldrocker, @erniejade and a few others whose forum names escape me.

I talk to forum members in PA, TN, TX, WI, IL and IA on a fairly regular basis.

There is NO OTHER FORUM that I have been a member of besides this one, that I have met more than one or two of the users in real life. And many of those forums I've been a member of longer than this one.

Now Imma going to get confrontational wit you, you left me out. :*:*
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

100% horse hockey
    Keep treading.

Great job at keeping a message private or personal.
  • EndersShadow
    vmaxer wrote: »

If one were to look in my phone today, the would see more forum member names of people on this forum than anything else.

I have had the privilege to meet the following members in the past few years due to get togethers both in my house or at others, up to and including LSAF:

@nooshinjohn, @indyhawg, @trav0810, @bored184, @kharp1, @txcoastal, @marvda1, @voltz, @dskip, @lightman1, @ZLTFUL, @02guy, @pitdogg2, @deronb1, @oldrocker, @erniejade and a few others whose forum names escape me.

There is NO OTHER FORUM that I have been a member of besides this one, that I have met more than one or two of the users in real life. And many of those forums I've been a member of longer than this one.

DOH! How could I EVER forget that we broke bread at a Culvers! Trust me Billy, you aint forgettable (meant however you want to take it :wink:)..

Hows THAT for potentially passive aggressive :grimace:
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640

Just think, after I get "3-4 decades of EXPERIENCE," I will be qualified to build my own cable elevators! I can even dye them black and sell them at this forum. Gee wiz, I can hardly wait for all that experience to pay such substantial dividends. The mere thought is giving me Canadian goose bumps. And some newb's think experience is overrated.

On the other hand, I would never think of trying to "educate" the "old dumb guys" at this forum. After all, it is a total lost cause trying to "teach an old dog a new trick." However, I am willing to chip in for their remedial hearing needs and training so that they can perhaps learn how to properly operate their hearing aids. o:)

Woot! So you're saying that I can insult you but as long as I add a smiley of some sort afterwards, it negates the insulting and condescending tone in the rest of my message?!!? Yes! You're still exhibiting d-bag tendencies.
    o:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2017

You are associating people that are "New to the forum", with "New to audio in general or new to Polk"

Not every person that comes here, has just began to get into audio the moment they sign up for the Polk audio forum.

And the other problem I see, many longer term members here repeat the same stuff over and over again, right or wrong, and other long term members not wanting to rock the boat or argue openly in the forum, simply say nothing or never disagree for fear of being bashed or made fun of.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    vmaxer wrote: »

Kick his booty!!!!

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2017

100% horse hockey
    Keep treading.

Great job at keeping a message private or personal.

I've seen a lot of your PM's shared by those you sent them too, so I know what you are up too. It isn't going to work.

BS!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    I know some members who don't like how 'normal operations' happen around here. I know some who are members but never post because of it. K_M is not off base on that statement and I respect her enough for not 'outing' said members. I don't know if they are the same I know, but still there is no need to turn this into a witch hunt.

This shouldn't be a shock as even if this was the most civilized forum on the webz, someone would be unhappy with the culture.

I understand your point Skip, and to some extent can understand why folks stay silent rather than speaking up and potentially having conflict with other members.

I'd like to bring up 4 points as to why that may not be the best idea however.

1. That individual or individuals as a group, due to their standing on the forum may have a bit more sway/credibility than someone newer on the forum who may or may not have any with other members

2. By staying silent they inadvertently may have someone else speak FOR them, or on their behalf, regardless of if they want that person to or not.

3. By staying silent there is no way to measure (see footnote below) the number/quantity/percentage of ACTIVE membership that feel the same way. And that number may be an indicator as to if a change needs to take place, or if its simply par for the course

4. Lack of transparency. If no one ever knows how you feel how can then know if they need to change (assuming they want to) their approach to how they handle things? I'm OK if you tell me you think I'm an a$$hat and would prefer never to talk to me. I wont get offended, I will simply not talk to you. Or if you tell me that we dont see eye to eye on issue X, and never will, so lets just not argue about it and focus our discussions on things we DO agree about. However if your not transparent about either of those things it could lead to both us getting banned :smile:

^Perfect example of the above. I loathe the Patriots and @mrbiron very much likes them. And we are both OK poking fun at each other about it. However if @mrbiron felt I took something too far and never TOLD ME THAT, I may continue to cross that line, resulting in him disliking me even MORE than he does now :smile: . By being TRANSPARENT about when I cross a line with him, it allows me to CORRECT my mistake (if I want to), apologize (or not), and know where to stop (or not) on a given topic. Either way I know where I stand.

Footnote:

As a nerd/it guy I prefer hard raw data and numbers to tell the story. If 10% of the active forum aren't happy with things, well that may be par for the course for an online forum.

If 70% of the active forum aren't happy with things, then that's a different issue.

But without the HARD DATA you can make up as many stats as you want.
  • erniejade
    Imma get ALL CONFRONTATION on you @steveinaz ...... What you think about that!?!?!?!?!

Cat Fight!!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    afterburnt wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »
    . Most of the posts are by people that are Yamaha AVR enthusiasts, not people that think all AVRs/2 channel receivers suck.

Sorry, but I think that's putting words in people's mouths as it is taken WAY out of context.

The "manual" that came with my Polk's (just the English part) was only a few pages long. On the other hand, I recently ordered a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060BL audio video receiver. Its manual is over 200 pages long. I should be able to get the receiver up and going in a few hours. Tweaking its controls and learning how to use it and set up shortcuts is much more complicated and time consuming than ordering and setting up speakers.

That's probably why the manual is larger.

You seem to be making it sound like Polk is "lacking" with their product manuals.

With what's been a hot topic recently, reading your entire post, it looks as if you're trying to "stir the pot". Sorry if that comes off as being "frank" but I don't see where you're trying to go with this.

Shirley you're not being Frank.

I am frank.....and stop calling me Shirley.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2017

Just think, after I get "3-4 decades of EXPERIENCE," I will be qualified to build my own cable elevators! I can even dye them black and sell them at this forum. Gee wiz, I can hardly wait for all that experience to pay such substantial dividends. The mere thought is giving me Canadian goose bumps. And some newb's think experience is overrated.

On the other hand, I would never think of trying to "educate" the "old dumb guys" at this forum. After all, it is a total lost cause trying to "teach an old dog a new trick." However, I am willing to chip in for their remedial hearing needs and training so that they can perhaps learn how to properly operate their hearing aids. o:)

Talk about twisting the truth to fit your twisted little world.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    Dan, in this case it's respecting those who wish not to be revealed. I get your point completely but if they do not wish to be heard, we shouldn't force them to be.

I can see that, however then we have folks who may say they speak for the "silent majority" of senior members, and THEY MIGHT, but they ALSO might not, and we would never know one way or the other.

Its the other side of the coin, and I see and can understand and respect both. It just creates a problem we can't solve.

To many unknown variables to solve for X, where X = happy forum :smile:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tonyb wrote: »
    Great posts guys, from newer and older members.

.....and the part your not digesting is that if even some old members have a problem, they are in the minority. We can't please every single person, we don't even try to because it won't work, never does. Just maybe some "old members" need to work on their social skills a bit instead of crying about how someone may criticize their post.

Not everyone is always going to get along no matter what you do, that's called life, suck it up and deal with it, the forum isn't Romper Room/kindergarten. Because you don't want to deal with individual confrontations, you want Polk to do your work for you. You think Polk wants to be bothered with this kind of pre school stuff ? Does anyone really ? It's a brave new world, some need to grow up. Sheesh......
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    That is why I spoke up. It isn't a fib but I'm not sure how populous that segment is. Just know that there is one.

Yes, and because you spoke up I am now willing to give more weight to that idea, because I know you wouldn't say it if it weren't true :smile:.
    I also know others who are a bit intimidated by our regulars, their knowledge, and the relationships we have built over the years.

And I can see and understand the intimidation. Although I'm quite sure its not ME that they are intimidated of :smile:.

Now @lightman1 thats a whole nother thing.... and I dont think its the knowledge that scares them :wink:
    The one thing about this forum is it is a family and there is no anonymity. You decide your place in the family by how you interact with others. If you are here, expect some tough love and even some gossip. It happens.

I think that sums up anything I'd have to say further on the matter (except for my questions posed to @K_M in my earlier post today).

PS, did you hear the new rumor about @F1Nut?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dan, in this case it's respecting those who wish not to be revealed. I get your point completely but if they do not wish to be heard, we shouldn't force them to be.

I can see that, however then we have folks who may say they speak for the "silent majority" of senior members, and THEY MIGHT, but they ALSO might not, and we would never know one way or the other.

Its the other side of the coin, and I see and can understand and respect both. It just creates a problem we can't solve.

That is why I spoke up. It isn't a fib but I'm not sure how populous that segment is. Just know that there is one.

I also know others who are a bit intimidated by our regulars, their knowledge, and the relationships we have built over the years.

The one thing about this forum is it is a family and there is no anonymity. You decide your place in the family by how you interact with others. If you are here, expect some tough love and even some gossip. It happens.

Exactly Skip. People should have been around 15 years ago.....talk about intimidating. When I joined back in '98, I didn't post, or rarely posted in the first 2 years. Lots to get a handle on with personalities and such.

But....you listen a lot, learn some, question some, joke around a bit, and before you know it your comfortable. Some make it appear like it's rocket science getting along on forums, too hard, and the owners of such forums must intervene on their behalf to make all things equal, passive enough to not upset their psyche. If your that insecure, you probably also have problems making friends in real life, rather than the easiest way.....online forums.

Which circles back to my point. If you can't handle people in an online forum, the easiest social way to make friends imho, then the problem rests on your shoulders, not the forums.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    Yeah. He's selling his wares to others in this family. I have no respect for that kind.

I was talking about how he was vidoetaped singing along to Justin Beiber, Selina Gomez, Katy Perry AND KANYE WEST songs at a KARAOKE BAR

OOPS, I meant to send this in a PM :wink:
    You forgot about Abba and Barry Manilow.
This discussion has been closed.