What do use to stream music to your Hi-Fi ??

....and why ??
Looking to upgrade the $50 Gramofon I'm currently using for Spotify. Must support Spotify and Tidal. (I may step up to Tidal's lossless at some point) Remember it must be easy to set up as I'm as dumb as a bag of hammers. :)

Thanks
Bill
lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Bluesound Node 2 w/Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC.

Why? Good question. Probably price. 5 bills for the Bluesound Node 2. Very easy to set up. Lossless is worth it IMO but then again, so is an outboard DAC that doesn't support MDQ.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sonos for the simplicity, but it won't do higher than cd quality. If you want to go higher formats, Bluesound is another cheap alternative.

Cheaper than cheap is chromecast, but not sure about their Spotify capabilities.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sonos for the simplicity, but it won't do higher than cd quality. If you want to go higher formats, Bluesound is another cheap alternative.

Cheaper than cheap is chromecast, but not sure about their Spotify capabilities.

I just found out that Sonos now does support lossless but will not support the MQA available from Tidal.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• If you have a decent DAC I recommend the Chromecast "Audio" for an effortless streaming experience from most apps and servers.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pumpkinman
    I do not own a DAC.
    I'm leaning towards the Bluesound Node.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Lumin S1. It is an all in one solution; file player, streamer, and DAC. Does Tidal, and now supports MQA. You can't get simpler than the S1, and it sounds great.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    ^^^ He keeps harping about this^^^

To date? Have not heard it. Contender? Yes. Heard it? No.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2017
    I use an older Signature Sonore Music Server with Deux power supply. Basically a mini PC with custom power supplies (one for PC, one for USB card) and power filters for hard drive. It's fanless, no noise. Playback, no noise. SOtM-PCIe USB output card and SOtM drive power filter. I updated it with a small SSD card for the Linux op system and stuck a 6TB drive in it. I can also point it to an external NAS when the time comes. Controlled through a variety of third party aps with cell phone or tablets.

Still using my DIY Dual Mono Buffalo III DAC with Sonore USB to I2S module. Discrete balanced output (no op amps). Sounds fantastic.

If I didn't have that, I'd go for a Sonore micro or ultra Rendu. IIRC they added Spotify this year and it does Tidal. bikerboy just upgraded from the micro to ultraRendu. IIRC Carl (schwarcw) has the microRendu.

http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

A thread by Carl.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/172912/sonore-microrendu-wuhoo/p2

d0pgc3fxczpz.jpg

668l62r813uh.jpg

0l0fh9amaav1.jpg

3xarf7vxlb3x.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Simaudio 780D Dac and streamer
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I just picked up a Marantz NA8005 for dirt cheap and it sounds great!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ^^^ He keeps harping about this^^^

To date? Have not heard it. Contender? Yes. Heard it? No.

Tom

Tom, there are a few folks here that have them including me. I think it's a great piece, worth every penny and then some.
  • treitz3
    Anybody compared it to the BS N2?

I ask because I hate wasting money ad Mr. Pumpkin would want to know..

Tom
  • treitz3
    That's what I am afraid of Skip. Spending more money for the same thing I have heard ever since streaming came about along the Hi-Fi world. There is always something missing....maybe I honed in on it when I brought it home for a direct comparison.

Sub par sound, while at the same time. "close to CD quality".

My version of "CD quality" and others apparently differs.....vastly.

Tom
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    That auralic Aries mini is a steal, I have one hooked up to my Bryson BDA3, and I also brought it to my local hifi shop and hooked it up to several DACs. It's one heck of a performer, that you would have to spend a lot more to best. I have only spent a short time with its onboard DAC, which I found to be ok. Not exactly a fair comparison though, when being compared to something 8 times the price.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    BlueSound Node2 into Marantz SA8004's DAC.

Listen to Tidal HiFi an Masters.

Sounds nice.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pumpkinman
    Thanks for everyone's input

Bill
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Dude, @pumpkinman, DACs are pretty darn cheap now for some pretty nice ones (for those of us who play in the real world lol). I would seriously think about a Chromecast audio and something like a peachtree DACit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peachtree-Audio-DACiT-D-A-Converter-DAC-iT-/332340306078?hash=item4d6106a09e:g:TIUAAOSwmZdZjg9z and you would be set! Can beat that for under 300 bones!

BUT, to use a chromecast you need a laptop, tablet, or smartphone that you can cast from. Its very simple, but you can't used it like some of the more advanced streamers.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Still using Squeezebox Touches throughout the house, 6 still going strong. The technology is dated now, but its been the standard to meet for about a decade. If not for Logitech abandoning the project and simply improving on a front runner from its price point it would still be the go to setup.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Bluesound node2
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Just picked up a McIntosh MS750 music server. I have only played with a few functions and listened to some Johnny Cash on it. This is amazing. I will be loading all my cds to it over the coming months and running it exclusively when not using the turntable.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    A budget would really help, these suggestions are all over the map lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pumpkinman
    Wife picked me up a Sonos. I'm still a vinyl freak but streaming is fun
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• Enjoy!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I read this and thought "Nice! Sounds like a perfect unit!"

Went to Google it and saw the $12k pricetag. Immediately closed browser window. :/
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Lumin S1. It is an all in one solution; file player, streamer, and DAC. Does Tidal, and now supports MQA. You can't get simpler than the S1, and it sounds great.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Clipdat wrote: »

Went to Google it and saw the $12k pricetag. Immediately closed browser window. :/

Check out the Auralic Aries Mini.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

Check out the Auralic Aries Mini.

Find a used one since they are out of production. Don't get the bluesound unit as I don't know anyone who thought the sound quality was close to the AURALiC unit.

Permanently?

• Nightfall
    edited December 2017
    Does that mean updates on their iOS software are done and chances of an Android version are dead?

• Nightfall
    Thanks Derek.