New Goodies // Short Reviews

Polk fam!

It's been awhile. I have some new gear and I have no one to talk to about it so here I am hah.

I picked up the Yamaha A-S801:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS801S/Yamaha-A-S801-Silver.html

Short review:

What's not to like about this package? It's an integrated with a built in DAC with retro Yamaha styling. I have to say, a big part of its appeal for me was how gorgeous it is. No flash, vintage looking, and it gets raving reviews.

The only think I don't like about it cosmetically is the plastic nobs. You can't tell they're plastic, but you feel it. One thing I love about my vintage receivers was the feel of the metal nobs. Other than that, this thing is a beauty.

I bought this thing for my new office, but it just might stay at home with me. Not having to deal with separates is a joy, and you don't have to worry about finding that perfect synergy and coherency within your components. You plug this thing into a source and you're there.

I couldn't be more impressed with the sound. It's definitely voiced on the brighter side which I normally try to steer as far away from as I can, but its all very refined. I'm used to having tubes in my chain with pre's like the Dodd Reference Level pre or the Rogue Perseus Magnum that I recently sold, so its all a little more focused.

I think the separates I've owned ultimately beat out the AS801, but I've spent far more money on them. Tubes just win overall :) My point is, I think this piece is a winner. I like it more than the Musical Fidelity M6i I had a couple years ago.

I also picked up the Tekton Lore Reference speakers:

These are super fun and they actually remind me of my heavily modified SDA-CRS+'s. The Lore's don't the pinpoint imaging that my Totem Hawks do, nor do they have the resolution, but what they lack in refinement they make up for with scale & musicality. They aren't "hifi" sounding. Again, very fun speakers.

I'm excited about the Bottlehead Paramount 300B monoblocks that get here on Friday. Can't wait to put them on the Lore's.

Anywho, just a thread to chat so chime in with your thoughts :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Welcome to the Yamaha fanclub!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice looking unit! It's good to see Yamaha still making quality equipment.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Interesting pieces. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Glad to see you here. Hope all is well.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Thanks for the reviews. I was waiting on a pair of Tektons to be built and it got in to almost 4 months and I finally cancelled my order. Was buying them without ever hearing them, just was interested too. Would like to hear more about them ifpossible.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Hey everybody!

Things are going well here - 4 kids now. Unreal. It's a mad house but we love it.

@kharp1 the Tekton Lore Reference's are not perfect speakers, but they're affordable and fun. I'd take my old Harbeth SLH5's over them every day of the week, but again, those were pricey. Vocals sound a hair muddy on the Lore's and the resolution isn't quite there. I can say the same for my modified CRS+'s, but I love both pairs of speakers. I enjoy the music through the Lore's and that's what matters. They don't call to much attention to themselves.

So, the Bottlehead Paramount 300b monoblocks are in. Wow. That's what I've been missing out on all these years. Soulful AF.

Shane
  • @audiocr381ve Still liking the A-S801?

Looks like a nice piece. I'm seriously considering getting one to pair with my lsim705s. With its DAC and phono section built it seems like it would suit my needs very well.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant