Recommend Polks in a system with Denon and Watkins

Hello from a new member with a few questions from those experienced.

Background, I have a system using some Watkins speakers I purchased from Mr. Watkins back in the 80s (OK, start dating me now...). Serial number around 3000 range if I remember correctly. They've been matched to multiple systems over the years. Now they are stand alone with a Denon X3300W. I'm looking to bring this system into the modern era, possibly keeping the Watkins or ...? Suggestions to fill-in the system, I'd like to keep excellent quality and something I can drive well with the Denon. Open to the possibility of adding an external amplifier later.

Room is ~20x30, few windows, carpeted (going to wood sometime in the future), drywall and vaulted ceiling.

Past has been mostly music; anything goes here to. But, now ready to enjoy the home theater sound as well. Probably 50/50 mix going forward. Oh, and no nearby neighbors to worry about disturbing.

I have experience with some of the Polk's, a pair of Monitor 70s, T50s and 12" subwoofer in my shop driven by a lowly Sony.

Thoughts, recommendations or questions ?

Best Answers

Answers

• Great answers and sounds like the Signatures are well rated, so, I jumped in... Been listening to the S60 for a couple of weeks. Back and forth between S60 and old Watkins. A great sonic match with about 4dB adjustment in favor of the Watkins. Can't reach the low level feel of the old 12" Watkins woofer. S60 is smoother and much more pronounced mids with almost too much upper frequency.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Glad you like the S60, I too am enjoying them very much as I think my neighbors are as well. No noise complaints at all :)

The S20 is a great bookshelf speaker if you're in need for the rears. I have them as mains in my bedroom HT and enjoy them very much.

I will be adding an amp to mine soon, either a Emo BasX-A300 or 2 channel Marantz. Need to take the weight off my poor little SR5010. AVR is driving 7 speakers, think I'm asking a little too much of it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Congrats on the S60 purchase. They are a great all round speakers that I'm very happy with.

I've been listening to my cd's & in two channel mode more than I have in years.

Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Hickory, would you give detail on the "almost to much upper frequency"?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • I'm struggling to describe it well. Seems bright, but not harsh. Not certain if it's because my older one's are lacking and these are purer or reverse. The highs are much sharper and more pronounced than the 80s Watkins (midrange drivers were updated by Mr. Watkins mid 2000).

Nothing as shrill as my Cerwin-Vega or Alpine car systems.

Recently had an opportunity to audition B&W 800 series. They were set up in a listening room and powered by a pair of monobloc amps. Very little difference noted! They had no Polk's setup, would have been great to compare directly. The showroom would only play the Eagles CD for demo - Hotel California was their preferred song. That entire system cost as much as my truck, lol. For the $ comparison I suppose the S60 are very impressive. The cabinet isn't as beautiful or sexy as the B&W though.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2017
    To my ears the S60s are right where they should be. They articulate the higher notes just right without going into shrill territory. I have yet to pick up any sibilance from them, and that was something I was very worried about after living with 27 year old RTA-8Ts.

I checked them extensively for that when I hooked them up. I threw every live album I have at them, and where the RTAs made me wince every now and then, the S60s have left me smiling!

I have never heard a pair of B&Ws that I wanted to have anything to do with. They give me a headache within an hour.

The Signature series is the first speaker Polk has offered in years that made me sit up and take notice because of their beautiful looks, fit and finish. I bought them based on the reviews of people who have them on here, especially Skip's extensive review whose ears I trust.

It is the first time I bought speakers unheard, and they have not left me disappointed. Just the opposite in fact.

Give yourself time to get used to them and for them to break in.
    Post edited by cfrizz on
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I got lucky and Polk let me in their Vista facility to have a listen before I got mine. From the first second I heard them I was like I have to have them. Sooooo much nicer on music then my RTi8, I can now listen to Rush and Yes where I like it without getting a headache.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music