Crestron Amps?

RamZet
RamZet Posts: 792
edited April 2014 in Electronics
Hey I wanted to get a feel for an item(s) I have ( 3 units). Its a Crestron cnampx-16x60. 16 ch @ 60w class A/B.

Is this an item I would have luck selling at the polk forum or should I stick to ebay/CL? They run for about 1800 each used but I would unload them for $600 shipped (each).

http://www.crestron.com/resources/product_and_programming_resources/catalogs_and_brochures/online_catalog/default.asp?jump=1&model=cnampx-16x60
B&W CM9Classé Sigma
Post edited by RamZet on

Comments

• RamZet
    edited April 2014
    Nothing!

Ok, well I gave two away and Im going to keep one for myself. So When I get the parts to bridge the amp ( 4ch at 220w@8ohm) I will post my findings.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    edited April 2014
    Got my hands on the parts I needed to bridge this amp.
    Holy cow what a different it is from my Rotel (135w per ch.).
    Im running 220w into the Highs and mids and 220w into the lows. I knew the CM9s were power hungry but I didnt think I was missing this much.
    My new Crestron amp is running 4x 220w per channel @ 8ohm (Class A/B). I am very happy with my new setup and I will be posting pictures and system changes soon.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2014
    I think something is wrong with the specs of this particular amp you linked. Bridging an amp usually doubles the power of a channel so the 220 should read 120. Edit: I see how they are getting the additional, they are using 4 channels outputs in a special bridging mode.......

That aside, Crestron is top notch gear and a 90 lb amp of anyone's design is to respected. I'm glad you like what you hear.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RamZet
    edited April 2014
    I think something is wrong with the specs of this particular amp you linked. Bridging an amp usually doubles the power of a channel so the 220 should read 120. Edit: I see how they are getting the additional, they are using 4 channels outputs in a special bridging mode.......

That aside, Crestron is top notch gear and a 90 lb amp of anyone's design is to respected. I'm glad you like what you hear.

Yeah that's what I thought too. But its Crestron magic and additional parts are needed to make it bridgeable.
    This is what they posted:
    20Hz to 20kHz, all outputs driven at rated THD:
    60 watts per channel at 8 ohms
    90 watts per channel at 4 ohms
    220 watts at 8 ohms bridged (channels 1-4 and 13-16 only; requires CNXBRMO, sold separately)

Im almost 100% this is 220w a channel not 120w x2. Im going to email my guys at crestron and ask. Either way 220w or 440 per speaker, it sounds awesome.

Im going to post my new rig in a bit come check it out.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    edited April 2014
    Manual states 220 per channel. So left is 220 and right is 220. I did this twice on the amp so each speakers get two channels from the amp. So 440 total per speaker.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    edited April 2014
    wow you have a mopar hehe:lol:
  • RamZet
    edited April 2014
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    wow you have a mopar hehe:lol:

I dont get it.
    Mopar, like the Chrysler thing?
    ( Im from the North East I dont get a lot of lingo.)

We can move the discussion to this new post I made: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?160441-New-2ch-setup.
    Pictures and specs, feel free to drop a line.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    edited April 2014
    RamZet wrote: »
    I dont get it.
    Mopar, like the Chrysler thing?
    ( Im from the North East I dont get a lot of lingo.)

We can move the discussion to this new post I made: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?160441-New-2ch-setup.
    Pictures and specs, feel free to drop a line.

yep like 440-6pack in a road runner,charger ect.

just found the 440wpc thing a little mopar'ish
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2014
    Those 440 six packs were the bomb back then. Try and find one now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • amb426amb1
    amb426amb1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2014
    Not to derail the thread but I have a original 69 Dodge super Bee A12 package car thats has the 440 six pack. Suppose to be sunny and 70 today...I think its coming out from its cold winter hibernation today.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2014

Actually, nothing weird here- bridging doubles the wattage of the _4ohm output_, but is limited by the power supply. Since only 8 channels out of 16 are being used, it can go a little beyond the usual since the power supply isn't tapped out. And this is actually the standard bridging method; nearly any common-ground class A/AB amp can be bridged in this manner: send non-inverted output to channel A, send inverted output to channel B, strap grounds on A& B, hook speakers to positive terminals. When you have a bridging switch, it just happens behind the scenes. RamZet is doubling down on the usual by also biamping.

Anyhow, pretty badass use of a badass amp. I've got a niles 12 channel amp that lets you do something similar that I've been meaning to play with (but nowhere near as much power).
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • RamZet
    edited April 2014
    unc2701 wrote: »
    Actually, nothing weird here- bridging doubles the wattage of the _4ohm output_, but is limited by the power supply. Since only 8 channels out of 16 are being used, it can go a little beyond the usual since the power supply isn't tapped out. And this is actually the standard bridging method; nearly any common-ground class A/AB amp can be bridged in this manner: send non-inverted output to channel A, send inverted output to channel B, strap grounds on A& B, hook speakers to positive terminals. When you have a bridging switch, it just happens behind the scenes. RamZet is doubling down on the usual by also biamping.

Anyhow, pretty badass use of a badass amp. I've got a niles 12 channel amp that lets you do something similar that I've been meaning to play with (but nowhere near as much power).

Thats dead on.
    here are the parts in action that let you bridge the amp: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?160441-New-2ch-setup
    click to enlarge-
    number_four.jpg

number_five.jpg
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • neyurt
    neyurt Posts: 2
    I know this is an old thread (and the link to the re-directed thread doesn't exit anymore), but I have a question regarding the bridging.

I have a 16x60 myself and If i read this correctly, if using two of those CNXBRMO x2, I will be able to get 4x220W @ 8ohms out of this amp?

So each CNXBRMO unit still give a nice stereo 2x220W @ 8ohm?

Also, where did you find to purchase the bridging accessories? I haven't able to find it on ebay or anywhere. Did you purchase them directly from Crestron?

Thanks!
  • RamZet
    neyurt wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread (and the link to the re-directed thread doesn't exit anymore), but I have a question regarding the bridging.

I have a 16x60 myself and If i read this correctly, if using two of those CNXBRMO x2, I will be able to get 4x220W @ 8ohms out of this amp?

So each CNXBRMO unit still give a nice stereo 2x220W @ 8ohm?

Also, where did you find to purchase the bridging accessories? I haven't able to find it on ebay or anywhere. Did you purchase them directly from Crestron?

Thanks!

I work for a partner of Crestron so I was able to get them, you're not going to have an easy time getting them as they are discontinued.
    But yes, they would give you 4 channels at 220w a piece, and it sounds awesome. (uses 8 channels of the amp all together)

PM me if you want to buy mine, I have them in my closet ( I moved to a Proceed amp and no longer need them).
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    7zzvl2l0dcdb.jpg
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet do you still have those modules? I was looking at picking up one these amps on eBay. Use it for an 7.x.4 Atmos setup.
  • Ramzet, I pm'ed you regarding the modules. I interested in buying it from you!