Vintage Polk S10's or Frankenpolk?

Options
Stumbled across these. They look to be in large cabinets, but I dont remember a vintage model of Polks with the model number S10....

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-speakers/6222372017.html

The drivers look wrong besides the tweeters, so I'm curious.....

Help?
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I see some results online of the same thing, seems like it could be legit. 7.5 inch active driver, the 10 inch is a passive.

Also found this although it isn't much in the way of info.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/polk-audio/s10/prd_121051_1594crx.aspx
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Options
    Yes those are normal speakers made by Polk, the S line. I have a pair of those and the other smaller ones in that line. They sound good, some say a little bass heavy. I use mine for HT and like them. I did rebuild the x-over on mine because the caps ripped off when I had them shipped to me. That is actually a good price for those.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Yep - those were the biggest (I believe) of the S-series (circa early 1990s). The PR's look a little shinier than I remember, but the silk dome tweeter is right. My first Polks were the S-6's - bought 'em with blood money - literally. I would donate plasma twice a week, take my 25 bucks to pay on the layaway, and in a few months, they were mine. I really liked those little speakers!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Pretty cool. Think I keep an eye on em and if they drop low grab em. I just see issues finding the mod driver if one goes since they are a unique size for Polk (7.5). Not to mention the passive is harder to find than black paint I'd gather...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    Here is some info on the S series. They are not well known but definitely under rated. I have a pair of S8 and S4. The S8 are very pleasant sounding. The S10, according to the design engineer, is for those who like mucho bass.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited July 2017
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Here is some info on the S series. They are not well known but definitely under rated. I have a pair of S8 and S4. The S8 are very pleasant sounding. The S10, according to the design engineer, is for those who like mucho bass.

We have friends that have, I believe the S8 and also the S4 or S6 I believe, and was impressed with them.
    For some reason this era of Polk was forgotten or something.

Seems like they were simply the next step in the old vintage series of the 80's.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think they came out right before or right after the LS series, but yeah, they weren't very popular. I always loved the look of the polished finish and the slightly tapered cabinets on the LS line! I always wanted a pair, but just stuck with my S-6's for many years.
    skrol wrote: »
    The S10, according to the design engineer, is for those who like mucho bass.
    That's got Dan written all over it!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    They came out when Polk was switching gears so to speak. The old Polk purist didn't really like that direction. iirc they are before the LS or were the model below that line. Like tsx to the signature series.
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Options
    Pretty cool. Think I keep an eye on em and if they drop low grab em. I just see issues finding the mod driver if one goes since they are a unique size for Polk (7.5). Not to mention the passive is harder to find than black paint I'd gather...

Yes the passive is harder to find but it does show up on EBay. For some reason Polk does not sell a replacement for the mid but they did sell the specs for the driver and you can buy a replacement from Midwest Speaker Repair. They have ones for the whole S line.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    Yes the passive is harder to find but it does show up on EBay. For some reason Polk does not sell a replacement for the mid but they did sell the specs for the driver and you can buy a replacement from Midwest Speaker Repair. They have ones for the whole S line.

That is good to know about Midwest Speaker. I believe the S and LS came out at the same time, the LS being the higher line tower. In some ways I can see why the S didn't get the love. The Monitor series was such a classic and very solid cabinets. The S just doesn't feel as sturdy and the plastic front just wouldn't set well. Those compromises didn't feed into the sound quality though. Polk did what they do best and made a very nice sounding speaker for not a lot of coin.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601