SDA-SRS's in the rig

Options
BlueMDPicker
BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
edited November 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Finally got everything settled in the listening room to accomodate the "new" SRS's. The soundstage is breathtaking - you feel like you're in the 10th row at Wolftrap.

Walnut caps and trim, all original tweets and drivers. The grille cloth had some kitty tracks. I got out my electric razor and trimmed the nubbies - they look like new now.
Post edited by BlueMDPicker on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Nekkid' right for the topless fans:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2004
    Options
    very cool pair of SDA's you got there. Big Congrats! very impressive looking... i'm sure they sound even better.

WTG!
    :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Awesome!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Very nice... I can see you sitting on the glass coffee table now...

I'm guessing those (ahem) Mon 11's are just in the way now, right? :D

... and where'd the organ go?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Bruce, the wide angle setting on my digicam makes the speakers appear more distant from the couch. The sweet spot is dead center of the couch - organ (and Leslie) is now behind the couch. The room is very "live" (no drapes, very high ceiling, 35' frt/bk) and the SRS's sound just right in the volume placed slightly less than 6' apart.

(the 11's are now in the MBR system)

Thanks to all for the compliments!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Wow, they cleaned up nicely.......but then I knew they would. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Very nice man.
    What are you powering these beauties with?

-Luc
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Thanks Luc!

As of last night, they're being driven with a PS Audio 200 Delta (375@4 ohms) - thanks to Russ. The improvement in headroom, bass, overall extension, and SDA soundstage separation over my Counterpoint SA-100 (140@4 ohms) is not even quantifiable (to be fair to the SA-100, the PS Audio is in another class all together.)

The 2 channel rig is very streamlined now: Eastern Electric MiniMax tubed CDP, Anthem Pre 2L, 200 Delta - SDA-SRS's.

My SDA Grin is cracking the corners of my mouth (where'd I put that damn Blistex?!) Audio-filly says I look like Jack Nicholson's cover of "The Joker."

:cool:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Very nice... I can see you sitting on the glass coffee table now...

It seems to me the sweet spot would be at the end of the rug. (as Tour said "on the edge of the coffee table")

Just for giggles you may want to sit a chair there and see what you hear. :)
    madmax

Edit: I just looked at the pic again. Actually put the chair about 6 feet away from the speakers. Most people like to make it an equalateral triangle. I'm not saying it doesn't sound good as is but give it a try closer, and don't have the volume too high. You may be surprised at what you hear. (I say all this only because I had a setup very close to yours for years and after changing around I was astonished with the difference.) All rooms are different though. Great system!!!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2004
    Options
    With the amount of sound those babies can make.
    I can't imagine there's a unsweet spot in the whole room.

You're living the dream man. ;)

-Luc
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    It seems to me the sweet spot would be at the end of the rug. (as Tour said "on the edge of the coffee table")

Just for giggles you may want to sit a chair there and see what you hear. :)

Thanks Chuck,

That's a nice spot as well. In fact, that's the "edge of the stage" I stand on when I'm jamming along with the rig on my guitar. With my back to the speakers, it is as close to a live gig as you can get. You don't just feel like you're on the stage - you ARE on the stage. And, I agree with you and Bruce, for critical listening that's probably the place to be at modest volume levels.

Because the room is open "stage left" the fullest soundstage - with amazing separation and depth ("at a concert" feel) - is on the couch. What really floors me is the quality of true stereo sound in the kitchen (two rooms away) at very modest volume levels (I usually don't crank my music anyway.)

Now, if one feels like having a rim shot break a collar bone and a leslie swell become a trancendental experience, easing the volume pot past 9 o'clock is always available. :eek:

You need to grab Jesse and come over. I'm sure there are tweaks my feeble mind hasn't considered. You're more than welcome, anytime.

Mike
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    F1nut brought over a pair of Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway Mk III IC's last night and I furthered my education (and appreciation) of quality IC's linking quality components.

The Audioquest Copperheads I'm using are a definite improvement over my ancient (25+ years) Monster IC's in opening up and defining the elements in the soundstage. The HT's take it a step further by warming a slightly cool midrange, allowing highs to rise and decay without roll-off, and solidifying a slight softness in bass.

Planned next steps: get the SDA cabs up off the carpet with spikes and replace the SL2000's.

What a great hobby! And, what a great group of people in this forum.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Lookin good Mike, very good. Now, whats next!!!:cool:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Nice rig Mike, I would have chimed in earlier but was boycotting the forum.

Ahhh, another convert, this is easy.

Happy listening.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.