The better version of "What you are listening too"?

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,325
This thread is dedicated toward those who are involved in the other thread of, "What are you listening too?" and others that listen to a song but yearn for a better recording of said song/album.

We all want the best out of our systems, correct?

Well, it all starts with the recording.

So this thread is dedicated to those who yearn to have the best of what they listen too. I know that personally, I have 7 different versions of many albums just looking for the best sonic version of what is offered. Dire Straights MFN is but one of them. For others, it may be Pink Floyd, DSotM. How many of those do you own?

Well, let's discuss what version is best with each.

No pre-read reviews are welcome here. Only real experiences. What have YOU actually HEARD that sounds the best to you?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good idea Tom.

Marilyn Manson, The Pale Emperor, download at 44/24 is much better than the CD at 44/16. Amazingly better.

71bdyOf6HQL._SX522_.jpg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    "Never Goin' Back Again" off the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD Audio. The detail of the guitars is outstanding - from the picks on the strings, to the strings occasionally buzzing the frets, - some of the most life-like guitar sounds I've ever heard out of speakers.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    Options
    DJT, I have the DVD-A of that album and I highly concur. That's the best version I have heard to date. Just ordered the SACD to see if it can top it. We shall see....

Problem is for me, I no longer have a DVD to hook up to the rig so I will have to run off sonic memory. I do remember what it sounded like though and it blew the LP and CD away in many aspects.

THIS is what I'm talking about! Thanks, DJT!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool on Blue Ray Audio. However, her CDs are pretty darn good.

71cStEMpJdL._SX522_.jpg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Problem is for me, I no longer have a DVD to hook up to the rig so I will have to run off sonic memory. I do remember what it sounded like though and it blew the LP and CD away in many aspects.
    I do have the original LP I compared it too along with a sealed, limited edition 180g 45RPM 2 set LP and the original CD...

Should be a somewhat fair test even though I can't compare the DVD-A. To date, the DVD-A tops everything I have heard thus far and by a good margin on many aspects of the reproductive effort.

Tom

• BlueFox
    Options
    All of Lady Gaga's high-def remastered downloads are better than the CDs. I couldn't even play Born This Way as a CD since I was so disappointed in the sound quality.

61W1Msy2AhL._SX522_.jpg

51rE9O9sNZL.jpg

81s%2Bi2hv-eL._SX522_.jpg

61QK0RIR5vL._SX522_.jpg

Actually, I have yet to find a high-res download to be inferior to a CD. No contesto.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Along this same remastered sound, The Rolling Stones blazed the path.

HD00602557226805_185.jpg

HD00602547450944_185.jpg

HX00018771820420_185.jpg

HX00018771819028_185.jpg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Google Steven Wilson B)
    zkawhnnjqv1y.jpeg
    xqok5tahjptg.jpeg
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The ABKCO SACDs are very good. 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' kind of made me rethink the effort.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Along this same remastered sound, The Rolling Stones blazed the path.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can only go by what I'VE heard of course but;

The Cars Elektra 135-2 HDCD (I have not heard any MOFI)

and one of my fav examples of collecting redbooks:

Talking Heads Sire 9 25305-2 'Little Creatures' West German "target CD"
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I can only go by what I'VE heard of course but;

The Cars Elektra 135-2 HDCD (I have not heard any MOFI)

and one of my fav examples of collecting redbooks:

Talking Heads Sire 9 25305-2 'Little Creatures' West German "target CD"

The Tull is excellent and better then my old Vinyl! as is the new Beggars Banquet" posted by Blue! but I have Stereo vs. Mono versions.

The new SACD of Janis Ian " Breaking Silence and the matching 45rpm version of the Vinyl LP.. but the Vinyl is like $55

I think the 45 rpm Version of Cat Stevens " Tea for the Tiller man" Vinyl is tops...

Stevie Ray Vaughn's new 45 RPM versions of his collection of LP's released in a box set are truly breath taking.

almost forgot and so did RED! Wishbone Ash * Argus on SACD (Japanese import) makes you want to toss your old Vinyl and CD's :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    I have six copies of The Beatles "Let it Be". Three are the "naked" version, from Japan and Europe(vinyl) and on cd. The other three are all LP's from Capital, Apple red label, and MoFi.

The best of the bunch is the Japan "Naked", followed by the MoFi release.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    I'm looking for an answer, what are the definitive media for the first two Captain Beyond albums. I have both in old vinyl. I have both in the 1998 re-mastered? Capricorn redbook CD's. The CD's sound muddy, the vocals are lost in the music. Is this just poor early 1970's rock recording? Or where these cheap re-masters poorly done (compression)? Are there SHM or SACD's of them that are a substantial improvement? Thanks.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I wish someone would clean up and remaster some good Journey tracks

The SACD sux too
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    I'm looking for an answer, what are the definitive media for the first two Captain Beyond albums. I have both in old vinyl. I have both in the 1998 re-mastered? Capricorn redbook CD's. The CD's sound muddy, the vocals are lost in the music. Is this just poor early 1970's rock recording? Or where these cheap re-masters poorly done (compression)? Are there SHM or SACD's of them that are a substantial improvement? Thanks.

Dude, I feel your pain. I do.

I have no recollection of talking to you before now but I'd like to introduce myself. I am Tom and I really do appreciate your inquiry here. Nice to meet you sir, if only online.

THIS is what I am talking about! Let's get down to the nitty gritty on what's best!

Your query is also what I am looking at.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    edited July 2017
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    "Never Goin' Back Again" off the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD Audio. The detail of the guitars is outstanding - from the picks on the strings, to the strings occasionally buzzing the frets, - some of the most life-like guitar sounds I've ever heard out of speakers.

I agree i have both DVD-A and SACD I feel the DVD-A is much better. Theres only one problem, I have never seen Lindsey Buckingham use picks. Everytime I've seen him he was a finger plucker. A very good one

Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    Had a chance to listen to this earlier today -- the two-channel master for Donovan's Greatest Hits (Pye Records) on a Studer A80. I'll admit it -- I like Donovan, and it was mighty nice to hear this (on a rather serious hifi, to boot... butthat's another story).

grablc4qnpjk.jpg
  • aprazer402
    Options
    ^^^^ Awesome mrh, an opportunity like that doesn't present itself but rarely. What a treat.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »

I agree i have both DVD-A and SACD I feel the DVD-A is much better. Theres only one problem, I have never seen Lindsey Buckingham use picks. Everytime I've seen him he was a finger plucker. A very good one

That's a great point that totally escaped me...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can't give it to you exactly as my CB LP is long gone but
    I have the Polydor Japan (POCP-1826) and it is not brick walled like
    the Capricorned redbooks.

• aprazer402
    Options
    I can't give it to you exactly as my CB LP is long gone but
    I have the Polydor Japan (POCP-1826) and it is not brick walled like
    the Capricorned redbooks.

Thanks, I'll look into that one!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    I heard Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs on an interesting system yesterday at a hifi shindig on the MA "north shore". DIY tt with other (mostly DIY) hardware on a pair of 1970s Tannoy Eaton coaxes -- not really my favorite music but it did sound dandy.

Cartridge was an Ortofon MC model that wasn't familiar to me -- some version of a more common Ortofon but with silver wire coils(?).

6wi2lpa9gafy.jpg
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I wish someone would clean up and remaster some good Journey tracks

The SACD sux too

They pushed those masters in to over-saturation!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    Have a MoFi 180g copy of "Hot August Night" that will be here in an hour or two. Looking forward to comparing it with the early Mofi and the cd I have for it. I shall report back...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2017
    Options
    here is a good redbook version to hunt down:
    cgm4f7442lvg.jpeg
    Sony/Columbia "Biem"
    Mastered at Sterling Sound, New York.
    Reissued 1991 with same catalog# on Columbia.
    Barcode and Other Identifiers
    Barcode: 5099746580025
    Matrix / Runout: CDCBS-465800 64 DADC AUSTRIA
    Rights Society: BIEM/STEMRA
    Label Code: LC 0162
    Other (Distribution Code): CB 701

I'll put it up against the SACD in a few...
    Certainly as good as the SACD for those who can't play them.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Options
    What are some good places to buy DVD Audio format content?
  • treitz3
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Online. Check out this thread...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178392/sacd-master-list-where-to-get-them

This should be a good start...

Tom