Want to stick my toe in the "power cord" pool...

daddyjt
daddyjt Posts: 2,305
edited July 2017 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I recently acquired a McCormack DNA 225 for a very reasonable price. I am loving the amp more every time I listen to it, and I am thoroughly impressed with its build quality. The only thing I find odd, is the power cord that came with it seems of relatively small gage, considering the output of the amp.

Which leads me to considering an upgraded power cord. In complete honesty and disclosure, I have never been a believer in high end power cords. HOWEVER, I am willing to admit that that is an ignorant point of view, having never used a high(er) end power cord, and experienced the potential difference for myself. SO, if anyone has an old higher end power cord kicking around, I'd like to give one a try. I don't know that I'd be willing to go above $200-$300 for my first one, so if any of you have one you could let go in that range, let me know...

Thanks for your consideration.
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I started with Pangea, but once I experienced a Shunyata Venom power cable I was hooked. The Venom HC for amps is in your range, new. The Cable Company will give you a few dollars off.

Good luck.

https://www.thecableco.com/Catalog/Power-Cables

j7cogba8nvxs.png
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    Good lord... I thought $600-$800 was the upper limit. Therefore, I thought $200-$300 would put me almost in the mid-range. I am determined to try one, and I appreciate the source. If there are no members looking to sell one, I will order a new one.

Thank you!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Take a look a Cullen Cable, namely the Gold. There are several of us here that have numerous cables from Patrick, and we are quite happy.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Screw the specs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    how about a ps audio detect first? (or with DSkips WW)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Harmonic tech pro11, even Steve McCormack himself suggests upgrading the power cord. Buy used and save some coin, new prices on cables is ridiculous.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I'm a HUGE FAN of PS Audio, and Wireworld.

I've owned Pangea and while nice, the connection just wasnt as tight as I'd like at the IEC. The thicker cables would NOT twist either without a TON of extra cable and area to bend.

I sold my Pangea AC-14, and both AC-9's and moved to all PS Audio AC-3's. I wouldn't mind a PS Audio AC-5 at some point, but am super happy with the AC-3's and they are well under your budget of 200-300.

Another option as mentioned by @DSkip is Wireworld stuff and they are good as well. He's a dealer so he can get you whatever you want from their menu, as it were. Also Cullen Cable, which I have no experience with, so cant recommend a specific model but its an option....

Those 3 are well within or below your budget by a fair mark.

Lastly Mark I know you have to remember @helipilotdoug makes and sells custom powercables.... so thats another route open to you, and I think you still run some of Dougs IC's in your system too :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Even a brand new low end $100 Shunyata Venom will make a difference. Like you I was not a believer until I tried it. Try it and you too, will become a believer.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Plenty of options in your price range here.

http://www.tmraudio.com/products/power-cables

A simple power cable upgrade can make huge sound changes. Highly recommend a little toe dipping... but after you hear it, you'll be taking the full plunge I'm sure.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Can't believe no one has linked thread: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178085/treasure-trove-of-goodies-for-sale-two-daughters-getting-married-this-summer#latest

MIT shotgun AC1 is right in your price range but much more new...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    ^^ that's your huckleberry! ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I've noticed a greater difference with power cords on my source components. The least difference I noticed was on my amp. But I think it all comes down to how the power supply is designed. Not saying there wasn't one, because there was, just to as dramatic as the others.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Kimber pk10 is worth a mention.
    Used $$.
    80btd6hcffhx.jpg

I've actually ditched my 800$ power cords for all diy cords a friend of mine makes. All in at about 300 bucks a cord (6 footers), including furutech rhodium connectors. They smoked my store bought cords in every category.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Well sheeit..... I'll take some boogered up #10 drop cords...saw them up and add some chromium cabonate male and female terminations on either end.
    $187!
  • lightman1
    Yep2 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Well sheeit..... I'll take some boogered up #10 drop cords...saw them up and add some chromium cabonate male and female terminations on either end.
    $187!

Thats the "Farmer's Tan" talking...
    Dont knock it till you try it.

Damn your eyes, Judas.
  • daddyjt
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Can't believe no one has linked thread: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178085/treasure-trove-of-goodies-for-sale-two-daughters-getting-married-this-summer#latest

I pmd the seller of the AC1 to see if it's avail...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    I have purchased the MIT AC1 from Greg - I am excited to try it out, and I will definitely post my impressions.

I sincerely appreciate all of the suggestions. I am very handy, and have a rather extensive electronics bench. However, As a self professed power cable "skeptic", I feel that my first impression of the difference a power cable can make should come from an established "known quantity". I have other MIT products, and I am thoroughly impressed with their build quality and attention to detail.

Thanks again for all the great info - sounds like i may be heading down another fork of the rabbit hole... :smile:

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• lightman1
    I keep eyeballin' the Wireworld cords. They have some good reviews on their entry level goods.
  • daddyjt
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Thank you for the lead on this cable, btw :smile:

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    No problem man! Hope u enjoy it. And definitely post your impressions!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mikeyb128
    If the power cord is anything like their cables/interconnects, then you're in for a treat. Hopefully.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I think I have a few older Shunyata's laying around, let me check.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    all this power cable talk had the effect of a couple more PS Audio cables on the way.
    Thanks. ;)
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Now this has me thinking...is my setup good enough to warrant an upgrade in form of a power cable? Im running b&k gear through 1.2tls, what do you guys think?