Amazon Streaming and Netflix

I have been streaming the Harry Potter series from Amazon through the smart hub on my Samsung tv. My tv is connected to my avr with an hdmi cable. I have an amp driving my left and right speakers and the avr is only driving the center, no surrounds or sub. For tv and dvds the sound is good. With Amazon and Netflix I struggle to hear the dialogue especially if the characters are whispering. Of course I can turn it up but have others experienced this? I have the left and right set at 0.0dB and the center at +2.0dB crossed over at 80 Hz. Any suggestions or reccommendations?

Thanks,
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Best Answers

• rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Answer ✓
    msg wrote: »
    Hey Ray, curious that this is only Amazon/Netflix.

Did you run the AVR calibration utility, or all manual?

Could just be a levels mismatch since you're running the mains with an amp and the center on the AVR, but that regular TV and DVD sounds fine to you confuses it a bit.

At what volume level are you listening for movies? If not too high, with those big mains and the slim Signature center, it wouldn't seem unusual to me for you to go at least +3 on the center over the mains without pushing it too far and losing overhead. I do wonder how it performs in comparison to the S30, but if everything else sounds okay, it's probably a non-issue.

Are you listening in the same mode on your AVR between TV/DVD and your streaming apps?

TV firmware and apps up to date?

Do you have an optical cable you can try, by chance, just to see if it makes any difference?

Maybe related to the apps or a TV audio setting when using those apps?

Do you have access to a Roku player, Apple TV or FireStick to test, just to rule out something with the built in apps?

Just a few things to consider.

Hey Scott,

I did run yapo to calibrate and that set the center to +2, I can bump it up. Regarding the volume, it's at -15 or so while streaming which is not loud, however music at that volume is?

Firmware updates are current on all equipment. I don't have a roku or firestick to test. TV is mounted on the wall with cables running through the wall so it's a task to run an optical to troubleshoot.

Going to screw around with the settings some more and see what happens. Maybe up the center more.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

Answers

• rburgess714
    Seems that many experience volume fluctuations while streaming. Will turn up the center and see how it goes.
    Living Room

Office

• rburgess714
    I have a couple of different sources at different output levels, so I bump the gain on them to match each other. Wonder if the TV output is just lower than the other sources? Do you have separate HDMI cables from a cable box and DVD player going into the AVR, or are they all into the TV then out through one HDMI to the AVR? Are all cables the same brand/model?

You're playing music how? Through the AVR apps, or from TV apps?

As a quick test, while streaming something, switch from 3.0 to stereo, and see if the volume jumps to a more acceptable level.

Have you tried with the EQ off, setting up the speakers manually with estimated distances, and +3 on the center?

What's the max level range on the speaker levels adjustment anyway? +/-12? Trying to get a sense for remaining overhead if you bump levels.

Sounds like a lower output level from the TV to me, if you're running separate cables from the other video sources and they sound fine to you.

I have an HDMI ARC from TV to the AVR and HDMI cables from cable box and BD player to AVR. Cables are not the same brand. The speaker level adjustment is +/-10.

Music sources CDs, Tidal through Chromecast, Sirrius and Pandora streamed through AVR.

Watched another Amazon movie today with the center set at 5, was definitely an improvement but still room for improvement.

Did test switching 3.0 to stereo and no change in volume. I think ot just the nature of the app?

All good suggestions and things to try.

Thanks,
    RB
    Living Room

Office

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Good work, Ray. So to rule out running the services from the TV apps, do you have any streaming players in the house you can hook up to test for comparison? Or as suggested, maybe a quick cable swap?

Not sure how it would compare, whether even a definitive test, but maybe even a notebook with an HDMI output to stream Amazon through the browser?

If you post up the model of your AVR, I'll have a flip through the manual with you to see if there's anything in there that you can adjust to bump the gain on the TV input to get you a closer match with the other sources. TV too, if you like. Could be a setting, who knows.

Curious, does your AVR save the different settings between each source? Ex., when you set your center +5 for TV, do the other source modes have their own respective settings that take effect when you switch to them, or does a +5 center apply to everything running in surround?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Netflix seems to have the best sound quality, show dependent. Then HBO Go, then Amazon. Turning up my preamp close to max led to distortion so instead I bumped all the speakers +6db. This meant instead of -15 I was at -25 for most shows. Bobs burgers on the Fox now Network required -40. That's around where I would listen to music as well.
  • rburgess714
    Good work, Ray. So to rule out running the services from the TV apps, do you have any streaming players in the house you can hook up to test for comparison? Or as suggested, maybe a quick cable swap?

Not sure how it would compare, whether even a definitive test, but maybe even a notebook with an HDMI output to stream Amazon through the browser?

If you post up the model of your AVR, I'll have a flip through the manual with you to see if there's anything in there that you can adjust to bump the gain on the TV input to get you a closer match with the other sources. TV too, if you like. Could be a setting, who knows.

Curious, does your AVR save the different settings between each source? Ex., when you set your center +5 for TV, do the other source modes have their own respective settings that take effect when you switch to them, or does a +5 center apply to everything running in surround?

I haven't spent much time on this the last couple of days but will tinker around with it some Monday night. Went through the samsung settings and there isn't a way to increase the output. I think my AVR will let me assign settings to sources but even it does the signal is still coming through the TVs smart hub app so while it may correct Amazon content it would assign the same settings to all other TV content. It could be my ears require a bigger center? I will let you know how it goes.
    Living Room

Office

• rburgess714
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Netflix seems to have the best sound quality, show dependent. Then HBO Go, then Amazon. Turning up my preamp close to max led to distortion so instead I bumped all the speakers +6db. This meant instead of -15 I was at -25 for most shows. Bobs burgers on the Fox now Network required -40. That's around where I would listen to music as well.

I have noticed Netflix being better.
    Living Room

Office

• rburgess714
    Just an update, I think I may have fixed the issue ? The setting on the tv audio was set on pcm. I set to bit rate and it seems better? Does that make sense?
    Living Room

Office

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Just an update, I think I may have fixed the issue ? The setting on the tv audio was set on pcm. I set to bit rate and it seems better? Does that make sense?

yes
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music