Hyundai Sante Fe Sport- anyone have/had one?

Options
2»

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    We got the EX-L with Nav. Sticker was slightly over 40K. My negotiating skills are pretty good. ;)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    We drove nearly every SUV under 40K before we bought our Pilot last year. The Kia Sorento, close cousin of the SanteFe was runner-up. Was nearly the same cost as the Pilot. One of the deciding factors was resale value. Even though the Hyundai/Kia's have come a long way, resale value is still not that great. Though with a 10K discount you'll probably come out ahead anyway.

We just bought a 2017 pilot and love it, replaced our 2005. Deciding factors for us were space (we have four kids and they can all fit comfortably - for now!), maintenance costs, longevity, and resale value. The latter basically comes when the two previous factors are met it seems...

Resale value is the least important for me because we are going to drive it into the ground just like the last one (though I did get 6 grand for the 2005 which was nice). For that reason, if you are getting a good discount and planning to keep it for the long haul, maybe resale isn't important. BUT since resale value strongly correlates with maintenance and longevity, you kind of have to consider it if those two things are important to you...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    We got the EX-L with Nav. Sticker was slightly over 40K. My negotiating skills are pretty good. ;)

Yes. Better than mine.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Not worried about resale value. My current car is a 2007 Ford Fusion and I plan to keep the Santa Fe at least 10 years. Assuming I last that long, of course.

I always have 1 car payment, either for my car or my wife's. I buy a car and finance it for 5 years, but plan to keep it 10 years. When it's paid off, I replace the old car and pay on it for 5 years. So always making a car payment, but only 1 at a time.

This time it's my turn, my wife's driving a 2012 Altima.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mmm -- the Pilots I've seen were north of $50k(?!)

where have you been looking?!? The sticker price on my EX-L with entertainment system was $39k and change, and I got it for $36k plus TTL.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Not worried about resale value. My current car is a 2007 Ford Fusion and I plan to keep the Santa Fe at least 10 years. Assuming I last that long, of course.

I always have 1 car payment, either for my car or my wife's. I buy a car and finance it for 5 years, but plan to keep it 10 years. When it's paid off, I replace the old car and pay on it for 5 years. So always making a car payment, but only 1 at a time.

This time it's my turn, my wife's driving a 2012 Altima.

While I think that's a really good strategy, and essentially what we do as well (difference is we pay a car payment to ourselves for 3-5 years and then by the vehicle for cash), but like I said if resale is an indication of maintenance costs and longevity, then if you plan to keep the car 10+ years I would still be paying close attention to that, espe3cially if you plan to retire in the meantime. I would rather pay a little more right now while I still have a job than pay out the nose for repairs when on a fixed income.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

While I think that's a really good strategy, and essentially what we do as well (difference is we pay a car payment to ourselves for 3-5 years and then by the vehicle for cash), but like I said if resale is an indication of maintenance costs and longevity, then if you plan to keep the car 10+ years I would still be paying close attention to that, especially if you plan to retire in the meantime. I would rather pay a little more right now while I still have a job than pay out the nose for repairs when on a fixed income.

Yeah, I get what you mean about resale reflecting longevity, but the warranty is about as good as anything on the market. I think the resale value for Hyundai's are affected by lack of name recognition and trust, more than a problem with their recent maintenance issues.

You have a valid point, about income now versus later, but I keep coming back to that big discount and long warranty. If it weren't for the discount, my top choices would probably be a RAV4 or a Honda CRV.

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    All I can say is that I LOVE my 2007 Sante Fe. My daughter bought this new and after taking a couple road trips with her I told her if she ever wanted to get rid of it to let me know. After her 3rd child she wanted something bigger and I gladly took this off her hands. It's the Limited AWD version and after owning this for about a year and a half now I couldn't be happier.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

While I think that's a really good strategy, and essentially what we do as well (difference is we pay a car payment to ourselves for 3-5 years and then by the vehicle for cash), but like I said if resale is an indication of maintenance costs and longevity, then if you plan to keep the car 10+ years I would still be paying close attention to that, especially if you plan to retire in the meantime. I would rather pay a little more right now while I still have a job than pay out the nose for repairs when on a fixed income.

Yeah, I get what you mean about resale reflecting longevity, but the warranty is about as good as anything on the market. I think the resale value for Hyundai's are affected by lack of name recognition and trust, more than a problem with their recent maintenance issues.

You have a valid point, about income now versus later, but I keep coming back to that big discount and long warranty. If it weren't for the discount, my top choices would probably be a RAV4 or a Honda CRV.

If the warranty is good and the car is well reviewed by customers (that's the biggest thing I look at honestly. Not rewards) then it sounds like you have a solid plan. I say go for it (like u need my permission lol). Hope it works out!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Another thing to take into consideration is they also have excellent customer support. I've had several "updates" done on both my Hyundais all free of charge. Today I'm getting the oil and filter changed, fluids topped off, vehicle inspection and tires rotated all for the whopping price of $19.99 with a coupon from Hyundai's site.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Someone backed into my 2007 Fusion yesterday. Fender and bumper damage but doesn't affect driving. He wants to keep it off his insurance (the guy is 74 and was on oxygen so I tried to be very nice) but it's going to probably be fairly expensive if I need a bumper.

Anyway, this could move up my timetable for a new car if I get cash out of him rather than going to insurance.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mmm -- the Pilots I've seen were north of $50k(?!)

where have you been looking?!? The sticker price on my EX-L with entertainment system was $39k and change, and I got it for $36k plus TTL.

Honda's website (e.g.) and "as tested" prices online.
    http://shop.honda.com/pilot.aspx?from=shophonda.com/pilot&ef_id=1:1:1&CID=SEARCH_HRM_GOOGLE_FY18EVERGREEN_OTHER_SHOPPERS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgajCso6i1QIVmkwNCh0krgFJEAAYBCAAEgLaWPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Update on my Hyundai experience. Long, long story that I won't bore you with, but bottomline, after many attempts to get a price from a local dealer, he sent me an offer via email.

I am driving home from work to get a loan to go pick up the vehicle and I get a text from him that Hyundai rejected the rebates. My brother-in-law was apparently wrong, I can get his discount, or the rebates, but not both.

I knew $17,300 after taxes, tags, etc. was too good to be true.

So I am back to square one looking for a vehicle. I got a price of just under $20,000 on a 2017 Rav 4, base model. Pretty nice vehicle but no power driver's seat. Also, checked out a used 2017 Fusion Titanium for the same money. 2.0L turbo. Really nice car. Going today to check out left over Kia Optima's.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I would recommend checking out the Chevy Equinox. It's really nice for the price.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Is used an option @Jimbo18? I just did a search on cars.com for 2017 or 2016 RAV4 exl with 30,000 miles or less, and several came up at 20k or less. Same thing what a Honda CR-V, which I would put on my list, we LOVE our pilot, and the crv is just a mini pilot. The base models kinda stick. I personally would rather get a good used one with low mileage and more options, but that's just me.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jimbo18
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Is used an option @Jimbo18? I just did a search on cars.com for 2017 or 2016 RAV4 exl with 30,000 miles or less, and several came up at 20k or less. Same thing what a Honda CR-V, which I would put on my list, we LOVE our pilot, and the crv is just a mini pilot. The base models kinda stick. I personally would rather get a good used one with low mileage and more options, but that's just me.

Yeah, I pretty much decided on a very lightly used car. My son-in-law, who lives about an hour and a half away, sells Chevvies and he should be able to find me a good deal on a used car. I was only mainly interested in new if I could get the huge discount on the Hyundai.

So I will probably look at Rav 4 and CRV as well as some sedans like the Accord, Optima and Fusion.
    Post edited by Jimbo18 on
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As a person in a family with one RAV4 and one CR-V, and FWIW, my advice:

Get a CR-V.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    For a smaller suv take a look at the Mazda CX5. My wife has one and loves it.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Just finished signing the papers on a 2016 Honda Accord with only 3500 miles on it. Balance of the warranty. Nothing fancy, but a quiet, solid car with good gas mileage.