Diana Krall fans! New album

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    voltz wrote: »
    ROHfan wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    As with Rush, another overplayed Canadian.

Woah! Dude?!

LOL he will probably be Talking down Bryan Adam's next? LOL I like Bryan stuff so go fish :p

Temptations the Tom wait song is Diana's best to me ..most of the others are like elevator music (no offensive just me 3 cents) but the girl in the other room is a pretty good SACD all in all! Don't quote me please!

but I'm very Bias and a Tom waits fan ;)

I was all with you about "Girl in the other room", but "Elevator music"?....

She has a few for sure, but most are Straight Small ensemble Jazz, and Standards.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I feel like now's a good time to put in a good word for Canuckistanis like Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn and at least two-thirds of the Wailin' Jennys. :)

https://youtu.be/LhA9pd51GIM

https://youtu.be/nOjHior0RfU

https://youtu.be/UqfL13WFgXs

Now... Diana who were y'all talkin' about? Oh, yeah, Elvis' wife...
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    She puts me to sleep.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Well, I wouldn't kick her out for eating crackers in bed, and she is a pretty good pianist -- but I am just not a big fan.

I did want to make the point that not all Canadian musicians are not so great, like Ms Krall & Rush. There are some good ones too :)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the Japanese SHM-CD edition. Even though some of the reviews of her latest album are ho-hum, I'd still like to try it out.

Funny thing is, I used to despise her and her voice but over time, I have come to appreciate and even look forward to listening to her. Funny how that works...

I should have it in about 2 days, so I'll offer my observations of the album when I get it in.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    She puts me to sleep.

hence the term elevator music... all female jazz singer put me to sleep (some what) though I love their voice and I like many of Diana songs.... like nora Jones etc..... I mean no offense that is just my take on it.. I prefer instrumental jazz...

but many of the songs on "Girl in the other room" especially the 1st 3 are excellent songs by Krall! she a awesome singing...she has style! but mostly not my cup of tea! (no offense meant). I do have GITOR lp on SACD and DSD hi-rez files...it shows off my speakers to guest.

I'm a die hard Ramones fan so I never said I had good taste!

BTW Ken I no what you meant :) and was just ribbing you Brother!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • K_M
    She puts me to sleep.

hence the term elevator music... all female jazz singer put me to sleep (some what) though I love their voice and I like many of Diana songs.... like nora Jones etc..... I mean no offense that is just my take on it.. I prefer instrumental jazz...

but many of the songs on "Girl in the other room" especially the 1st 3 are excellent songs by Krall! she a awesome singing...she has style! but mostly not my cup of tea! (no offense meant). I do have GITOR lp on SACD and DSD hi-rez files...it shows off my speakers to guest.

I'm a die hard Ramones fan so I never said I had good taste!

BTW Ken I no what you meant :) and was just ribbing you Brother!

She has other albums that would "Grow" on you for sure. Different in style than "Girl in the other room", but equally as good.

There is one I dislike...called "Wallflower", where she does her take on several more typical pop songs from the 70's and newer.
    The music and singing are not bad per se, but the production is very loud and compressed in volume, and not like her typical great sound quality.
  • treitz3
    I looked yesterday and I saw that Wallflower was her worst overall rated album.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • K_M
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I looked yesterday and I saw that Wallflower was her worst overall rated album.

Tom

Seriously, it is a case of the "Loudness" simply ruining something that could have been somewhat good.

None of her other albums are loud and compressed like Wallflower.
    Thing is, it was completely unnecessary in her case to make it "loud"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited July 2017
    "I'm a die hard Ramones fan so I never said I had good taste!"

Greatest 3 chord band in the world ever!

She should do a cover!!
  • treitz3
    In response to this thread, I went ahead and put in "The Girl in the Other Room" from Diana, SACD. I had forgotten what an excellent recording this was. Haven't played it in some time but I am enjoying it now.....relaxing on a Saturday afternoon to Diana with an adult drink by my side.

Life is good.

Tom
  • voltz
    Oh Grow up Tom :p

I did pick up her SACD "When I look in Your Eyes!" btw....the jury is still out on this one!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• K_M
    Oh Grow up Tom :p

I did pick up her SACD "When I look in Your Eyes!" btw....the jury is still out on this one!

"East of the sun" and "Let's face the music and dance" are my 2 favourites on that one.
    A solid effort but not her best.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    voltz, you might like "Live in Paris" the 45rpm LP. Great sounding live album,

gcom2fytvcpi.jpg
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the Japanese SHM-CD edition.

Side note:

If you haven't already then get the SHM-SACD for Exile On Main Street by the Stones, and Wheels Of Fire by Cream. The only negative is all the wrapping just to get to the actual SACD. LOL.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    gce wrote: »

gcom2fytvcpi.jpg

I've had this LP on my Amazon wish list for a couple years now. Love it...and eventually my wife will get it for me.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • treitz3
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the Japanese SHM-CD edition.

Side note:

If you haven't already then get the SHM-SACD for Exile On Main Street by the Stones, and Wheels Of Fire by Cream. The only negative is all the wrapping just to get to the actual SACD. LOL.

Added to my list of albums to get Bud. Thanks for the suggestion(s).

Tom
  • So much music is listened to by "audiophiles" because it sounds good regardless of the musical content. To me, she's mediocre, at best.
  • K_M
    TForan wrote: »
    So much music is listened to by "audiophiles" because it sounds good regardless of the musical content. To me, she's mediocre, at best.

What do you consider, say 5 performers that are truly great?
    Just curious.
  • K_M wrote: »
    TForan wrote: »
    So much music is listened to by "audiophiles" because it sounds good regardless of the musical content. To me, she's mediocre, at best.

What do you consider, say 5 performers that are truly great?
    Just curious.

Ella
    Maria Callas
    Patsy Cline
    Linda Ronstadt
    Eva Cassidy

• treitz3
    TForan wrote:

Perhaps (depends on one's opinion) but on the flip side, there are musical selections that are "audiophile" that I thoroughly enjoy as well and would never have picked them up, had they not been "audiophile" or at least associated with the word.

Godsmack
    Millage Gilbert
    Donald Fagan
    Eva Cassidy
    BB King
    Yoyo-Ma
    Muddy Waters
    Many artists from Blue Coast Records, DCC, FIM, Burmester, Stereophile, 2L and the like...
    Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops
    Chris Jones
    Bonnie Raitt
    Dead Can Dance
    Allison Krauss
    Mark Knopfler
    "Friday Night in San Fransisco" (The album)

There are many more but these were the ones I could think of quickly, without my morning coffee and that are off the top of my head. None of these artists would I have
    purchased had it not been for the word "audiophile" associated with them. On most of the aforementioned and more, I have multiple albums from the same artists and they all get regular rotation in the rig.

I do hear what you are saying though. Even though I have the SACD of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells", you will never catch me listening to it because I dig the tunes. That was just one of many examples I have that the word "audiophile" can be associated with, so I can understand what you are saying here. Some of the audiophile selections are ho-hum music to borderline barely stand-able.

Tom
  • motorhead43026
    edited July 2017
    Ella
    Billie Holiday
    Sarah Vaughan
    Nina Simone
    Etta James

Not in any order, just 5 of my favorite female jazz singers.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Ella
    Billie Holiday
    Sarah Vaughan
    Nina Simone
    Etta Jones

Not in any order, just 5 of my favorite female jazz singers.

Or Etta James

• motorhead43026
    Spaced out on Etta, too early for me.

• K_M
    All good mentions.

Any Holly Cole fans?
  • K_M
    a bit out of the mainstream or even jazz but I like this::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCIaj-oLi28

Great voice and sound quality.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Patricia Barber is great, and many (all?) of her CDs are excellent recordings. Holly Cole, Melody Gardot, and Tierney Sutton are also favorites.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • voltz
    gce wrote: »

gcom2fytvcpi.jpg

If I could have found a nice vinyl copy of "Girl in the Other Room" I would have bought it. so I settled for the SACD!

• treitz3
    Well, I bought it. Listened to it....fell asleep. That tell you anything?

Very ho-hum album before I dozed off. Perhaps when I give it another spin, I'll have a different impression.

Tom