I like Tidal but

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Spotify supposedly has 40 million plus subscribers. I expect there is going to be a shakeout and/or consolidation in the online streaming music business. I had Rhapsody about 10 years ago (now called Napster). Rhapsody bought out Napster and then adopted their name. I would not be surprised to see another consolidation/merger happen- kinda like what happens in the Cable TV industry. Companies can leverage the subscriber income stream from the company they want to buy out to get financing for the buyout.

I like Spotify much more than the old Rhapsody. Music streaming may eventually lead to the death of the CD.
    Sure.....and the greater efficiencies are passed onto the customer. Wait, less competition in the marketplace is better for the customer?!?
    I guess what Im getting at in my mind is...is there a noticeable difference in the Spotify SQ vs. streaming Spotify for free, because I think I can rationalize 10 bucks a month, but not 20.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'm not dogging on anyone (honest) but I don't understand how someone can feel that $20 a month is unacceptable for CD quality streaming of 46 million + songs.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Not unacceptable by any measure....just looking at the big picture of the cost to run a household of four other people, DirecTV, ATT, blah,blah, blah. It really is a deal when compared to the freaking internet/phone and TV bills.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I rationalized the 20 a month by not buying CD's, it's saving me money, time, space....
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm not dogging on anyone (honest) but I don't understand how someone can feel that $20 a month is unacceptable for CD quality streaming of 46 million + songs.

Ditto.....the difference is 10 bucks....one trip to Micky D's, 2 rental movies from on demand, one cheap bottle of wine, less than a 12 pack of beer, about 3 bottled waters if your out and about.

If better music quality isn't worth 3 bottled waters to you, then music quality in general doesn't hold much value in your mind. I get 10 bucks to some is stretching a household budget, but the same have no problem spending that 10 spot on things I just mentioned.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

They are probably wringing their hands, in the hopes of $19.99 some day
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

If Satan want anymore of my money he's ganna have to take it.
  • tonyb
    "DBT has decisively proven time and time again that music sounds much better after the consumption of at least 3 beers."

Don't know about that, kinda like the old sayin'..."The more I drink the better you look." :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Not unacceptable by any measure....just looking at the big picture of the cost to run a household of four other people, DirecTV, ATT, blah,blah, blah. It really is a deal when compared to the freaking internet/phone and TV bills.

I completely hear ya, family of six here, lots of expenses (and they haven't even gotten to the age where I know they will be REALLY expensive!).

But two counterpoints:
    1. Surely you purchase some new music. One cd or record at least covers the 10 spot (I hardly buy music anymore).
    2. I have trimmed the budget in other areas. Cricket for my wireless plan (works fine for me), playstation vue and plex for tv, cut the home phone line, etc.

Now, if you're not doing any paid streaming, just spotify free and pandora, and you would rather spend that $20 on music that you can keep, I understand that. But at that rate it will take an entire human life to build up a decent percentage of the library tidal or spotify have...good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    I can safely say that at least 75% of what is on there I would never buy. It is probably more like 90%. It has been two months on tidal so far and I found one "must have" cd.
  • afterburnt
    If Pol Pot owned Tidal would you subscribe? I wouldnt and I like Pol Pot a lot better than Madona.
  • afterburnt
    Ok I hate Tidal now
  • afterburnt
    On a serious note, wil albums come and go like movies do on Netflix?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    On a serious note, wil albums come and go like movies do on Netflix?

I've seen very little of that in the time I've been using it. Mostly just add albums. Once in a while an artist pulls an album. But usually if it's anywhere it's on tidal since they pay a bit more Supposedly....
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230

No doubt. I can't tell you how much money spending $20 a month has actually SAVED me. I have well over 100-200 CD's/LP's that I spent 10-20 bucks on for just one "one hit wonder" song that I like to listen too from time to time. When you add that up, it adds up quickly and you should see my list of hits that I'd like to buy. At least 3 pages worth of some killer music that I could care less about the rest of the album.

Now I go to my list, add the songs to Tidal, get my fix and I only spend 20 smackers. I can go through 20 smackers in one lunch so it's a freakin' BARGAIN to me.

Yes, even with the gear that I have to listen to Tidal on, it's not top notch sound like I can get with the physical media on the same rig but it's not as if I can get (for example) a superb recording of Seals and Croft's "Summer Breeze" anyway. I'm fine with that.

I'll simply spend my money on the best of recordings for albums I really want to have top notch quality on and use Tidal for those songs I just need a quick fix on.

I just realized that I sound like I have a serious audio addiction. I need help. Do they have an Audioholic's Anonymous around here?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    treitz3 wrote: »

No doubt. I can't tell you how much money spending $20 a month has actually SAVED me. I have well over 100-200 CD's/LP's that I spent 10-20 bucks on for just one "one hit wonder" song that I like to listen too from time to time. When you add that up, it adds up quickly and you should see my list of hits that I'd like to buy. At least 3 pages worth of some killer music that I could care less about the rest of the album.

Now I go to my list, add the songs to Tidal, get my fix and I only spend 20 smackers. I can go through 20 smackers in one lunch so it's a freakin' BARGAIN to me.

Yes, even with the gear that I have to listen to Tidal on, it's not top notch sound like I can get with the physical media on the same rig but it's not as if I can get (for example) a superb recording of Seals and Croft's "Summer Breeze" anyway. I'm fine with that.

I'll simply spend my money on the best of recordings for albums I really want to have top notch quality on and use Tidal for those songs I just need a quick fix on.

I just realized that I sound like I have a serious audio addiction. I need help. Do they have an Audioholic's Anonymous around here?

Tom

Well if you like paying those people cool that's you. I used to love Cuban cigars and I stopped buying them because I have some principals. BTW Van Jones is a marxist pos
  • afterburnt
    Furthermore, I guess you would buy some fine lamp shades so long as the price is right?
  • Nightfall
    If you only supported businesses that had 100% morally just CEOs and employees you would be sewing your own clothes, growing your own crops, raising your own livestock, and you certainly wouldn't be able to see gasoline again.

• afterburnt
    If you only supported businesses that had 100% morally just CEOs and employees you would be sewing your own clothes, growing your own crops, raising your own livestock, and you certainly wouldn't be able to see gasoline again.

I am not going to pretend that I know anything 100% ok?
  • Nightfall

I'm not following you I think.

There are people you do business with that have done worse things, by far, than Jayz or Madonna is all I'm saying.

• tonyb

I'm not following you I think.

There are people you do business with that have done worse things, by far, than Jayz or Madonna is all I'm saying.

This is true, but a lot of the things you mentioned are necessities of life, streaming music isn't.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well if you like paying those people cool that's you. I used to love Cuban cigars and I stopped buying them because I have some principals. BTW Van Jones is a marxist pos
    Furthermore, I guess you would buy some fine lamp shades so long as the price is right?

Good morning to you afterburnt. I honestly do not appreciate your tone here. You are implying that I have no principles, that I am a fool for wasting my money and that I support this Marxist (as you call him).

Well, that is your opinion and I will not challenge that. With that said, BLo'me. First off, it's MY money, not yours and I'll let you know ahead of time that I do not need nor require your blessing on how I spend MY money. I feel it's worth every penny to me and I do not subscribe to support Marxism or a certain person.

I subscribe to get new tunes, listen to one off tunes that I do not wish to purchase an album for, allow my wife to do the same and to get these tunes in near CD quality.

It's either that or I spend $X amount per album times 3 pages worth of tunes at a cost of well over 3 to 4 K to purchase the physical media. Do you really think I want to purchase a Bette Midler Album? Hell no....but I don't mind listening to a select few of her songs from time to time, as they bring back good memories from times past. This example is but one of many and Tidal fills that gap for me and at a low cost (to me) out of my pocket.

FWIW, I do have fine lampshades that I have purchased separately from a lamp base. Whether or not I purchased them on sale or not is none of your concern. The whole point of what I am saying here is that it is MY money, not yours and I do not appreciate your comments toward myself and my personal shopping decisions.

Now before you go reporting me? You bit. I bit back. You earned every bit of this response. You owned this. Now kindly leave me alone or you will become the first to ever make my Bozo list in the close to 10 years I have been a member on this board.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Spotify is 320 kbps (OGG Vorbis) not mbps, Tidal is CD quality at 1,411 kbps (FLAC).

I was gonna say Flac does not stream at a gig per second haha!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I am in the month process of my second trial with Tidal, first was a couple years ago but left due to UI issues. I'm not sure if I will keep it and this is my reasoning, I tried to listen in my car stereo (after market), home stereo and headphone rig. I only hear a difference when going through my headphone rig, on top of that I used spotify on my PlayStation to listen all the time and that feature will be gone with Tidal. I don't have a DAC to maximize my Flac experience so until I do I will most likely deal with Spotify.

Plus the family plan is hard to beat, 6 people for 15 bucks, no brainer.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • afterburnt
    treitz3 wrote: »

Good morning to you afterburnt. I honestly do not appreciate your tone here. You are implying that I have no principles, that I am a fool for wasting my money and that I support this Marxist (as you call him).

Well, that is your opinion and I will not challenge that. With that said, BLo'me. First off, it's MY money, not yours and I'll let you know ahead of time that I do not need nor require your blessing on how I spend MY money. I feel it's worth every penny to me and I do not subscribe to support Marxism or a certain person.

I subscribe to get new tunes, listen to one off tunes that I do not wish to purchase an album for, allow my wife to do the same and to get these tunes in near CD quality.

It's either that or I spend $X amount per album times 3 pages worth of tunes at a cost of well over 3 to 4 K to purchase the physical media. Do you really think I want to purchase a Bette Midler Album? Hell no....but I don't mind listening to a select few of her songs from time to time, as they bring back good memories from times past. This example is but one of many and Tidal fills that gap for me and at a low cost (to me) out of my pocket.

FWIW, I do have fine lampshades that I have purchased separately from a lamp base. Whether or not I purchased them on sale or not is none of your concern. The whole point of what I am saying here is that it is MY money, not yours and I do not appreciate your comments toward myself and my personal shopping decisions.

Now before you go reporting me? You bit. I bit back. You earned every bit of this response. You owned this. Now kindly leave me alone or you will become the first to ever make my Bozo list in the close to 10 years I have been a member on this board.

Tom

Boy you are touchy. I didn't imply anything, it was an Interrogative. See the question mark?