The LP Lover's thread...

Comments

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,512
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I (finally) cleaned (some) of the dust off...

35863954672_f7f79f244a_b.jpgDSC_8876 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Beautiful table :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2017
    I have the Denon DL-103R, nuded, aluminum pot with the Soundsmith mods. He added the ruby cantilever and a contour diamond stylus. My table is a Denon DP-59L and it's a great match!

0vj2nv58igu5.jpg
    le4tc5i0bv9e.jpg
    mh6lll9gscif.jpg
    x26rdmt05m7j.jpg
    dbx4q28dy6bo.jpg

Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2017
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I have the Denon DL-103R, nuded, aluminum pot with the Soundsmith mods. He added the ruby cantilever and a contour diamond stylus. My table is a Denon DP-59L and it's a great match!

Now that's a beauty! Thanks for the kind words, what's your paypal address? lol

Didn't I drive to Ohio to meet you and pick up a Krell KSA-250 amp? I drove my work car at the time, that Dodge Neon. That car wasn't made for an 11 hour round trip....

My DL-103R has the Midas touch....

ovjk5xbyj7pd.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited July 2017
    The observant might notice something somewhat unusual (at least for the last few decades) about the tonearm. Anyone? Bueller? :)

z7firr7biea8.jpg

(not a great photo but it's what I've got handy, you know?)

Tonearm has Adjustable length? Or is that to change the mass? What is that thing?!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I got the CD set as a birthday gift (to myself)
    All I kept thinking was finally! So should I buy
    the LP version as well? Anyone compare on a
    mid-fi system?
    ^^Tom, treat yourself to the 50 anniversary remastered Sgt Peppers's on vinyl. It is fabulous, being almost a religious experience. Well, to these old ears it is.
    So I take it you prefer the new stereo mix to the original mono mix? Giles (and his Dad) did such a great job with 'Love' that I am interested to hear what he did with this.

I have the original vinyl, and/but thinking of getting both the box set with CD versions of both and bluray 'making of', and also the double-disc vinyl (as my early ones probably got too much play on too feeble equipment). Wish they included a fresh vinyl pressing with the original mono mix.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    This might be a good place to mention again that if you are in to blues and
    jazz, Waxtime DMM vinyl is excellent for the $$$. (at least on my mid-fi system)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    The observant might notice something somewhat unusual (at least for the last few decades) about the tonearm. Anyone? Bueller? :)

z7firr7biea8.jpg

(not a great photo but it's what I've got handy, you know?)

Tonearm has Adjustable length? Or is that to change the mass? What is that thing?!
    That's a sliding weight to set the VTF, like the old Philips GA-212. It's calibrated, but checked it with a dope scale, too, when we set it up.

Nope, that's not it.

Actually, with respect to "modern" expectations, that arm as installed is lacking two things :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Cuing and anti-skate compensation.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    I don't have nearly the experience as many here do with carts, but that head shell looks long to me?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    Cuing and anti-skate compensation.
    This man is good :)

I have to be sure not to have too much coffee before operating it -- real men don't need no sissy damped cueing!

I've always been kind of skeptical of anti-skate anyway (although it may be an ugly necessity with "hyper" stylus profiles).

• mhardy6647
    muncybob wrote: »
    I don't have nearly the experience as many here do with carts, but that head shell looks long to me?

Standard headshell (just ported over from the SL-Q2) but you're almost certainly correct that the cartridge is further forward than it "should" be. My friend Alan & I endeavored to align it to a probably wacky alignment (Vacuum State "Guru" protractor) and it really probably should be realigned. Fortunately, the conical stylus on a DL-103 is pretty forgiving.

I actually would like to get another headshell for the A-T arm and put the Technics headshell back on the SL-Q2. Did I ask you all about your preferences in terms of affordable, readily available "universal" headshells?

:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Cuing levers are for children and winos, if you've started with an AR XA you don't need no stinking cuing.
    Smiley face, smiley face.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,385
    Gotta have auto lift. GettING slow in my old age.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Won't be long I will need an auto lift for my chair.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • soundfreak1
    Won't be long I will need an auto lift for my chair.

Damn I'm close to that myself. Crap thanks for reminding me!
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    I thought (???) that the AR-XA had a viscous-damped drop feature, though -- doesn't it?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,306
    ^^Tom, treat yourself to the 50 anniversary remastered Sgt Peppers's on vinyl. It is fabulous, being almost a religious experience. Well, to these old ears it is.

I just ordered it in 180g vinyl. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    treitz3 wrote: »

I just ordered it in 180g vinyl. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

Well motor, you know you put your a$$ on the line with one of the pickiest sumbutch ;) out there

So if you wake up in the middle of the night with a smashed SP record on your porch, you'll know where it came from :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    Turns out I don't know $&it about vintage gear. But I do know I've been spinning some Van Morrison while breaking in this chunky little denon. Things have changed a lot with about 6 hours on this guy. It has smoothed out considerably, I really like it, and look forward to what it brings fully broken in.

After spending a little time with it, I am realizing the Carmen is in another league. And I'm looking forward to getting my lighter head shell, so I can get her up and running again. Thw denon will be one heck of a back up. I've ordered a UWE wood body for it, for another time.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2017
    I guess the AR was a damped descent, then again the phono cartridges of that era were a little more robust than today's.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2017
    I reinstalled the ADC cart on my Pioneer PL-7 and, while I had it off, I took a few photos.

Supposedly, the ADC carts are an ideal match to the polymer graphite linear tonearm on these Pioneer 'tables. I was having tracking issues and I set the VTF to the max suggested for an ADC Series III @2g.

The thing is, I got the cart with the PL-7 but t was missing the needle. The stylus body says ADC Series II. However, the top of the cartridge says "Tech Series."

I don't know which stylus is compatible/best for the Tech Series cart from ADC. I looked into this over at AK and I didn't find any definitive answers.

If anyone here has any info, please let me know.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    schwarcw wrote: »

Now that's a beauty! Thanks for the kind words, what's your paypal address? lol

Didn't I drive to Ohio to meet you and pick up a Krell KSA-250 amp? I drove my work car at the time, that Dodge Neon. That car wasn't made for an 11 hour round trip....

My DL-103R has the Midas touch....

ovjk5xbyj7pd.jpg

Rich, did you and Carl perform the the new body mods on your 103R's? Are the Aluminum bodies preferred over the Wood bodies?

I just setup a new "stock" 103R, and like most everyone else, I'm taken aback by its performance as is. But, I'm also looking at taking it to the next level.

• Won't be long I will need an auto lift for my chair.
    That's too good.
    I resemble that remark ... Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk ...
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2017

Rich, did you and Carl perform the the new body mods on your 103R's? Are the Aluminum bodies preferred over the Wood bodies?

I just setup a new "stock" 103R, and like most everyone else, I'm taken aback by its performance as is. But, I'm also looking at taking it to the next level.

I think Carl sent his 103R in to SoundSmith for the body/cantilever mod. I just added the aluminum body. I purchased the Midas aluminum body from a Lenco turntable forum member who had them made.

The goal of the aluminum or wood body on the 103R is for broad band resonance control and improve the low compliance nature of the cartridge. Either body material tightens up the bass and seems to extend the low frequencies.

Aluminum will add more weight than the wood and increase compliance. IIRC ZU chose aluminum as most arms and head shells are made of aluminum. The reasoning, matching materials are less likely to reflect resonances as dissimilar materials do. Wood bodies allows choice of different types of exotic woods.

IMO the Midas aluminum body I am using offers better neutrality, clarity and high frequency air and extension than a wood body. I do not consider it bright at all. Regarding wood or aluminum depends on the presentation that you like and perhaps the arm that you use it on. SoundSmith ruby cantilever and stylus upgrades will elevate the performance even more. Once I wear my 103R out, I’ll send it there for an upgrade. I still prefer my AT33PTG/II over the aluminum bodied Denon for sound quality, so unsure when I'll wear it out...lol.

If you proceed, watch the videos on you tube for nuding the cartridge. A steady confident hand is needed. Also purchase your body from a reputable supplier. One where the cartridge will drop in without having to carve out material or force the nuded cartridge in.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I think Carl sent his 103R in to SoundSmith for the body/cantilever mod. I just added the aluminum body. I purchased the Midas aluminum body from a Lenco turntable forum member who had them made.

The goal of the aluminum or wood body on the 103R is for broad band resonance control and improve the low compliance nature of the cartridge. Either body material tightens up the bass and seems to extend the low frequencies.

Aluminum will add more weight than the wood and increase compliance. IIRC ZU chose aluminum as most arms and head shells are made of aluminum. The reasoning, matching materials are less likely to reflect resonances as dissimilar materials do. Wood bodies allows choice of different types of exotic woods.

IMO the Midas aluminum body I am using offers better neutrality, clarity and high frequency air and extension than a wood body. I do not consider it bright at all. Regarding wood or aluminum depends on the presentation that you like and perhaps the arm that you use it on. SoundSmith ruby cantilever and stylus upgrades will elevate the performance even more. Once I wear my 103R out, I’ll send it there for an upgrade. I still prefer my AT33PTG/II over the aluminum bodied Denon for sound quality, so unsure when I'll wear it out...lol.

If you proceed, watch the videos on you tube for nuding the cartridge. A steady confident hand is needed. Also purchase your body from a reputable supplier. One where the cartridge will drop in without havingr the insight to carve out material or force the nuded cartridge in.

Thanks for the insightful explanation Rich. I'll check out the videos and maybe try my hand at this delicate surgery.

• mikeyb128
    Best video I have found here:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3022v1
    And the body I will use from here:
    http://calamightysound.com/uwe-and-midas-bodies-for-denon-dl-103/

Same body used in the video posted above.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• soundfreak1
    edited July 2017
    Scompracer I have the simular opinion regarding the AT cartridges as well. The OC9ML I currently use has replaced the denons for me but I'm curious if you are familiar with the oc9 sound? and how it compairs with the 33ptg??? Thanks
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2017
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Kewl, Daiwok, who is mentioned on that site, is the Lenco turntable forum member I purchased the Midas body from.

The Midas body came with a stylus guard since the original guard won't work on the wood or aluminum bodies.

h98bzq8fmwc2.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2017
    Scompracer I have the simular opinion regarding the AT cartridges as well. The OC9ML I currently use has replaced the denons for me but I'm curious if you are familiar with the oc9 sound? and how it compairs with the 33ptg??? Thanks

I've never owned or tried the oc9 but from what I read, the AT33PTG/II does everything a little better due to some design improvements. The major differences are the AT33PTG/II's compliance, it is resin potted for better damping, has a gold plated tapered boron cantilever and a MicroLinear stylus.

The oc9 performs very well. I've read in forums some folks tend to mismatch arm compliance with it and end up with less favorable results, thus the mixed reviews.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2017